Thread: Provo Pigs

Provo Pigs

The recent snowfall convinced me to keep it local this weekend and I decided to try a spot on the Provo that I'd never fished before. The special regs section of the Lower Provo always seems to have a lot of pressure and today I decided to go and see why.

After parking at the first pull-off upstream from the tunnels, I grabbed my spinning rod and worked a blue fox for about 45 minutes. Within a few casts, I had something thrashing at the end of my line. It put up a nice fight for a few seconds before it threw the hook. Pity I couldn't get a better look at it.

Another couple of minutes passed and I got nice brown of about 17 or 18 inches into my hand for a moment. It slipped away before I get my camera out, but it was nice to hold. I got a smaller one a little while later that didn't get away though. Not until I released it anyway.

The action slowed down for the next while, but I noticed several snouts slurping up some tiny bugs. I went back to the car and grabbed my fly rod, rigged with a griffiths gnat. Despite my best efforts though, the fish wouldn't even look at it. Eventually, I scared them off with some bad casts.

Perhaps more visits to this part of the river are needed. It was fun to fish, but I felt like visiting another spot on the river to search for active bruisers.

When I pulled up to the parking area, I noticed some other vehicles and hoped they weren't fishing where I intended to go. Luckily, they appeared to have gone the the other direction.

Well, the first few holes I tried looked pretty good, but showed no signs of life. About 100 feet upstream, I noticed some bushes hanging down into the water. My cast went right where I wanted it and the olive cone headed bugger drifted down. Stripping slowly, I dredged the bottom and a mess of fish darted out for it. All of them missed and I set the hook to nothing. I saw at least two nice fish in the mix and the rest looked to be around 13 inches or so.

I repeated my first cast and was able to coax a second frenzy. This time, I connected with the hog. What a fight! This guy took me on a hard run toward some clutter to wrap me up in and all I could do was try to "guide the bullet". He got into some branches and I thought it was over, but I managed to play him back out and eventually into my waiting hand. What a chunk!

So far, my best river battle to date and it was my personal best brown at 20 inches and stout.

Knowing about the other fish by the bush, I tried my luck again. I couldn't believe it when I saw another big boy come out and grab my bugger. Just like his buddy, this one took me for a ride into the twigs and I was lucky enough to get him out and onto the bank.

He was almost the same size as the first hog and had a lot of color. Gorgeous fish.

Again, there were more fish under the bush and I seemed to have their magic fly. I got a smaller one with the first cast and missed another big one on the second, before they stopped chasing. Talk about a productive hole!

Venturing further upstream didn't produce anything and I was already beaming with the nice hookups of the day, so I called it quits and went home very satisfied.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sweet!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Explorer
    good to see that you had a productive trip.

Nice fish. Amazing that you pulled out two nice fish from the same hole.

Geeze!!! Those are some nice fish bro. We should seriously hire someone to film you on a couple of your adventures. You could adapt a fake australian voice and say "well looket this bugger here, he's a gorgeous one isn't he?" BAM! Instant syndication. As your agent I'm taking 20% and occasional fish btw.

Your safety is not my responsibility.