Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pays your bills?

What pays your bills?

Hey, I just had a crazy thought. I was out making calls today and ran into something I hadn't seen in a while... a small town, old fashioned business card display board. You know, a common meeting place where people post their business cards for others to see and use as necessary. Kinda cool!

It got me thinking.. why not post what you do for work to see if someone in the Bogley family is looking for those services? In today's tough economy its nice to see friends helping friends.

For example, when we had our daughter and realized our mountain biking life had changed forever I had visions of hiring a traveling babysitter to accompany us on weekend trips to hang out with the baby at camp while wifey and I hit the trails. Where does one go about finding those services?

I'll start with my own shameless plug:
    After several years in Engineering I decided to throw in the towel with office life and join the dark side.. I'm now a Manufacturer's sales rep and loving it! I represent about 15 different lines of equipment in the bulk materials handling/processing and pollution control industry in Utah and Idaho.

Our main lines include: pneumatic conveying systems, crushers, dust collectors, wet scrubbers, classifiers, agglomerators, dryers, volumetric & weight loss feeders, metal detectors & separators, weighers, expansion joints, liquid mixers, bin dischargers, and boiler quality H20 demin systems.

What do YOU do?? By all means keep your anonymity until someone wants to contact you.
    Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I work for a company that sells Plumbing & Industrial Supplies including anything from pipe & fittings water heaters toilets faucets, and yes the kitchen sink. We also sell power tools & safety equipment.

I sell drugs and steroids, alchohol, etc. Always need something like that in a tough economy!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Re: What pays your bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    For example, when we had our daughter and realized our mountain biking life had changed forever I had visions of hiring a traveling babysitter to accompany us on weekend trips to hang out with the baby at camp while wifey and I hit the trails. Where does one go about finding those services?
    It is called a grandma, there are usually 2 of them per familiy.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I ship sulfite and bi-sulfite in lots of 200,000# to be used in coalfired powerplants nationwide to reduce gasses producing acid rain..........and I own a bikeshop

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I am a real estate agent.......in other words, I'm basically unemployed right now.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I do enterprise level IT support.

Okay, I'm a mailman, but I can't get you any deals.

I'm also a writer though. I've written articles for Outdoor Life and Bow and Arrow Hunting. and I am currently the newsletter editor for the League of Utah Writers newsletter The Lariat. I can write just about anything anyone would need. So if you have a writing project that pays, I'm all ears!

I haven't worked in years. I was lucky enough to sell my old house at the peak just before the prices fell and have been building our new house with the money. Almost done and almost out of money. The wife has rental property.

Used to do Electrical engineering and got a call yesterday for a request for quote on some boards I designed years ago so maybe I go back to work for awhile.

But we want to retire and just play.

First and foremost, I SHOULD be getting paid to be a counselor but instead I pop zits, groom pubic hairs with hot wax, operate a laser to remove melanocytes from skin, peel the epidermis with chemicals, help inject botulism into fine lines, give "Angelina" lips with a little bovine and a syringe while attempting to make women feel better about themselves and help them spend their husbands money to do it. How was that for a run on sentence?

To help me out, all you have to do is go to the nearest gas station, load up on some of those ridiculous novelty toys found in cardboard displays, pick up a few of those crack torch lighters, and buy some cheap sunglasses and work gloves.

SNAP Lighters, PUGSGEAR, Novelty Outfitters.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    ...help inject botulism into fine lines, give "Angelina" lips with a little bovine and a syringe while attempting to make women feel better about themselves and help them spend their husbands money to do it. How was that for a run on sentence?
    Um, wow! haha.. I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I need some lip-work done

But do you like it? that's the important thing

I am an architectural drafter. Commercial buildings, hospitals, government facilities. I've been doing this for 3 years and it's great, but sometimes you miss the sun.
    I worked in Logistics with Walmart Trans. for a little over a year, and my favorite was working for the DNR at a state park for 3 years. Wouldn't mind getting a nonseasonal (full time) job doing that kind of work.

I'm a Structural Engineer

I design big things made out of steel.... oil refineries, power plants....

Below are two jobs I did last year. First is a conveyor up in the Canadian tar sands. Second is a bridge in Arizona.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I teach Math and Science coach basketball. Luckily my job is pretty safe but basically useless to anyone on this board.

Unless you live in St. George and have kids, or...need some basketball pointers :)

Got my degree in Mechanical Engineering and have done a few things on the side, mostly small stuff since it's just me.

I'm your run of the mill pharmaceutical rep. I sell generic injectables to hospitals and cancer centers in 7 states. Luckily I don't have to deal with doctors, only buyers. So far, knock on wood, it's a good business to be in. We don't sell products that are used much in elective surgeries, mostly it's transplant drugs and chemo/oncology products.

No, I can't do anyone any favors either.

I finished my degree in Mathematics and my current job title is "Electrical Testing Engineer" and I feel like the only person in my workgroup whose title doesn't fit. They hand me all sorts of odd projects and it's the variety that I enjoy. If it's mostly electrical but too mechanical for the sparkies, I get it. If it's mostly mechanical but too electrical for the greasers, I get it. If it involves a freakin buttload of numbers, I get it.

My principle niche is testing and characterizing motors and modeling the physical systems they're driving. I specify, set up, and program Data Acquisition Systems to collect voltage, amperage, stress, strain, velocity, vibration, and temperature data. I've also been programming various PLC's as well as designing the test fixtures requiring a combination of mechanical linkages, motors, solenoids, pneumatics, electronics, and programming.

Right now I'm testing flywheels for magnetic braking systems. Now is that mechanical because of the flywheel? Or electrical because of the magnetics?

I do some work on the side every year. Send me any automation projects you'd care to have me look at.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I do server maintenance and general IT work.

Army. If you need me to kill someone for you they must be a terrorist, preferably muslim and they have to shoot at me first.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Army. If you need me to kill someone for you they must be a terrorist, preferably muslim and they have to shoot at me first.

Me: air traffic control. If you aren't sure whether your runway is vacant, or need some navigational assistance while in radar coverage, I'm your man.