Thread: Killer bees discovered in Utah

Killer bees discovered in Utah

Killer bees discovered in Utah
    February 10th, 2009 @ 10:00pm
    By Whit Johnson
    After years of warning, they're finally here. Africanized bees, known as killer bees, have been discovered in southern Utah.

The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food is planning a news conference about the bees tomorrow, and won't provide any details. But we spoke to a Washington County commissioner who says he knows what the announcement is about.

Commissioner Alan Gardner says officials from agriculture department told him in a meeting today that killer bees have been found in multiple locations in southern Utah.

From Central to North America, the killer bees have been inching closer and closer to Utah. In 1999, KSL traveled to Mesquite, Nev., to talk to Ron Moser, a city worker who had a dangerous encounter while trimming trees. "I've never been attacked like that, never," Moser told us.

Since then, experts believed it was only a matter of time before killer bees found a home in Utah. It appears the prediction is now an immediate concern. "These African bees are a little more aggressive than normal bees," Gardner said.

Gardner says the bees were discovered in seven traps: three near St. George, and four in the Kanab area. "The bees were promptly destroyed, so they're gone," he said.

Africanized killer bees look the same as our European honeybees. The only real noticeable difference is their vicious behavior. When disturbed, their relentless attack can be deadly.

Experts say if you happen to come across a colony of killer bees, keep your distance and walk away quietly. Make sure your home is not bee-friendly by cleaning up your property and closing holes and hollow spaces.

"Be aware of the situation. I don't think it's trying to scare anybody but just make them aware so that if they do see something that looks suspicious with some bees, that they can call emergency preparedness so that they can come check out the situation," Gardner said.

Gardner says this is nothing to panic about. People just need to be aware that the bees are here in Utah.

Tomorrow's news conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. in conference room D in the Gardner Center at Dixie State College. We'll know more after that.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I remember hearing about the killer bees coming here years ago. It obviously hasn't gotten out of hand yet but I wonder how these types of migrations happen (unless maliciously).

Crazy stuff!

This might be a little off topic, but not really.

When I still lived in Utah I remember watching a swarm and I mean a HUGE swarm of bees completely engulf one of our pine trees in the back yard. I've never seen so many bees in all my life and they were crazy aggressive. In a matter of minutes they turned a bare tree branch into a creeping crawling hive of bees. Literally they had the framework of a hive about the size of a football built within about 15-20 minutes.
    Any bee experts out there know anything about this type of behavior? I honestly thought they were Africanized bees due to their aggressive behavior but this was in American Fork, so I don't think they've ever been that far north. have they?
    Leave No Trace

I was hoping that with the change of the administration, killer African bees would become less aggressive. Apparently not
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I was hoping that with the change of the administration, killer African bees would become less aggressive. Apparently not

If ya just did away with all that wasted open space, this would never have happened

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I remember hearing about the killer bees coming here years ago. It obviously hasn't gotten out of hand yet but I wonder how these types of migrations happen (unless maliciously).
    Thats what I thought as well.