Thread: Havasu Falls Trip & Channel Islands

Havasu Falls Trip & Channel Islands

Just want to see if anyone has any suggestions/advice for either of these trips. We would like to go to Havasu as soon as it is reopened from the floods, how many days should we allow?

Also, we would like to camp for a couple of nights on one of the Channel Islands off the California coast. We don't scuba dive or anything but just want to take in the scenery and do some hiking. Any suggestions on the best island and time of year?

Thanks for any input at all!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have been wanting to go but I just heard it takes a long time to get a reservation. I am going to call today to verify that.

yea, it usually takes a while to get on the list for Havasu. First, I'd recommend going early or late in the year. We went once in the middle of the summer and it was a complete joke. I seriously felt like I was at a water park.

We also went once in September and it was DEAD. I'd highly recommend going then. The water can be chilly and the nights certainly are, but you get to see a little of the fall colors and it is SO much more quiet then. Of course, you'll likely miss out on seeing the teeny-boppers, who fly down on heli's, pack their coolers and drag their sleeping bags down the trail from the village to the camp in their 3 inch-tall pink, foam, flip-flops but..eh, what are you gonna do?

I'd plan on spending at least 2 or 3 days down there, if not more.
    Leave No Trace

I've been down a couple of times in Mid April. It's just before the crowds come, and it's right when the leaves are coming out so it's really green.

It's a little chilly, but you can get some great pictures because there are no crowds.

You usually have an easier time getting the reservation too.

As for the Channel Islands... I'm not familiar with this location. Info?

The Channel Islands are a series of islands of the southern coast of California. They are part of the national park system and you can take a boat over and camp or just do a day trip. Most of the islands only have a park ranger stationed there and no other habitants or buildings. They all look amazing. The link below is the company who provides transportation to and from the islands but has alot of good info and some pictures.

http://www.islandpackers.com/isltrips.html

A friend of mine went to San Miguel last year for a couple of nights. I

The Channel Islands! NICE! I'd vote you do the C.I. trip, since Havasu is still not open due to all the damage the trails and facilities suffered from the floods of last year.

It's not one of the most visited of the National Parks, mainly because the Islands are 25+ miles off of the So Cal coast. Check here for info: http://www.nps.gov/chis/

Island Packers is one of the companies that will ferry you & your gear out to the C.I. year-round, for a price, of course. Check here for info: http://www.islandpackers.com/isltrips.html

Out of all my siblings, I'm the only one which has not spent the night on one of the Islands. From what they tell me, you WILL want to take a tent, since dusk brings out hoards of rodentia. You'll need someplace to sleep inside of, unless you want mice & rats crawling all over you while you attempt to snooze.

Hope to hear a TR from you soon!

Thanks for the info, I was able to book Havasu for late June...I know, it will be hot as hell but I've been trying to book it for almost a year!!

Can't wait to get back to Zion again too and finally explore some other areas outside of the Zion area too! Channel Islands maybe later in the summer, thanks for letting me know about all the mice..ick!

For Havasu, I would recommend at least 3 days total. The hike can be in a half day and then you set up and head to Havasu Falls and spend the rest of the day. The next full day you can hike to the Colorado river and back or just hang out and enjoy Mooney falls and water. The 3rd day you just hike out. I don't think you'd need to stay any longer than that.