Thread: Any Hiking Recommendations?

Any Hiking Recommendations?

My wife and I are going camping for Valentines's Day. We'd like to do a fun hike that we haven't done previously but I can't think of any hikes that would be good this time of year that we haven't done. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes, I would recommend hiking.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

We'd like to do a fun hike that we haven't done previously but I can't think of any hikes that would be good this time of year that we haven't done.
    Need more info since we don't know what hikes you already haven't done.

Are you looking to backpack or day hike? What kind of vehicle do you have? I'll list some lesser known places since you may not have already been.

Greater Roost/North Wash Area

For a backpack few people do, maybe try this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/457...ve-Canyon.html

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/457...ch-Canyon.html

Because of the low elevation it is a good place for Feb in fact mid Feb is when we went.

Fourmile is another good backpack:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/3755...9-21-2008.html

If you want some day hikes that not too many people do have you ever tried something like Mount Elsworth? There probaby isn't too much snow there now.

Swett Creek is a good day hike and good for this time of year, but you may have to turn back early if there are pools. Hiking up any of the North Wash stuff is good in February.

The non-technical sections of Bluejohn would make a good hike.

Moonshine Wash is usually good in winter, but if you do the loop it can be hard to climb the side canyon if iced. If it is you can still enjoy an out and back trip into the slot.

Angel Trail is good in winter as is lower Larry Canyon.

San Rafael Swell

Iron Wash and Ernie Canyon in the Swell are excellent day hikes. Here's some info on Iron:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/180...-Man-Draw.html

Farnsworth Canyon is a good one in winter. Wildhorse Creek too.

Cistern Canyon is good in winter.

I'm guessing you have already been to places like Goblin Valley or Black Dragon Canyon?

Moab Area

There is plenty of good hiking in Behind the Rocks:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/4704...8-29-2008.html

You may have already been there, but there are a lot of areas to explore in Behind the Rocks and every time I go we find something new.

Obviously Arches National Park is usually nice too, but I assume you have done many of the hikes already as well as been to places like Negro Bill Canyon/Morning Glory Arch?

Some of the canyons around Gemini Bridges are fun to explore (there are several to the south and west of the area).

Cedar Mesa Area

Many of the canyon are somewhat high altitude, but some are low altitude as well. Places like Butler Wash or Lower Fish Creek are perfect for winter. Lower Johns is interesting.

Central and Southern Powell

Lots of stuff here, but it's a longer drive from say the SLC area. Castle Creek is nice in winter. If you have a 4wd, Cottonwood Canyon is a great hike. Moqui and Lake Canyons too, though if you don't have a 4wd you can still access Moqui from the highway.

Zion/SW Utah

If you haven't been already, places like Coalpits Wash, Huber Wash, Petrified Forest Trail and the San Bench Trail in Zion National Park are usually snow-free in winter. Snow Canyon is usually snow free was well (it was named for the LDS Prophet, not the cold white snow!).

The above are just some random thoughts/ideas and there are a lot more.

I don't know if this helps, but if you want to look at my log from last year, you could scroll through the months of January, February, March, November or December to see some of the places I've recently gone at that time of year it might bring up some more ideas. If one looks cool to you I would be happy to answer any questions on them.

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-obj...-Trip-Log.html

what are you driving and how far are you willing to go? i'm assuming you will have the wee one with you.

i like the west end of the north side grand canyon. toroweap campground is nice and theres some very scenic hiking from there.

you drive to st. george and then east across the arizona strip and head south on good dirt roads to toroweap. the last bit of road gets kind of rough, but you could make it with a decent car.

lower johns canyon has already been mentioned. its just about perfect. 2wd to johns canyon and you can hike up the canyon looking for rockart or its an easy bicycle further (unless you have 4wd, then drive to the end and bike from there) out the road towards slickhorn. lots of rockart all over the place.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Re: Any Hiking Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    My wife and I are going camping for Valentines's Day. We'd like to do a fun hike that we haven't done previously but I can't think of any hikes that would be good this time of year that we haven't done. Any suggestions?
    The weather here in Ivins was pretty socked in today, but I just had to get out hiking anyway! James and I took off at about 8AM and drove up Hwy. 18 towards Dameron Valley and got into the low clouds on top of Red Mountain. We sloshed through the intermittent clay and rocky trail "Red Mountain Trail". Soon the snow started sticking and it was absolutely gorgeous. Our goal was to get out onto the large white sandstone fields on the NW edge overlooking Snow Canyon. It was awesome with streams of water cascading and winding across the huge sandstone plateau as it flowed and finally dropped over the large cliff into Snow Canyon. I didn't take a lot of photos because it was so wet, but I would recommend this 8 mile round trip to anyone in any weather conditions!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

You guys are so dang cool! I can't thank you enough!