Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Zion Bogleyfest - June 26-28 09' A Sucess! :)

I just spoke with Scott on the phone, it doesn't sound like it was anybody from bogley.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    No, it was the group behind them, but it caused them to stay in there longer. That is all we knew last night.

Hank just got here and told me that a ranger was telling Bo what happened. The man that got hurt was going to fast (like the video?) and could not stop himself. He had a belay that helped, but he still was injured. Ribs and wrist maybe. Hank did not hear the whole conversation. Why the Bogley guys were delayed I still don't know except maybe they helped with the injured guy, but that is just a guess.

Robin, Aaron and I had an AWESOME trip through Spry today with Kurt, Frank and Jody. Took us a little longer than expected and we did leave a little skin in there but it was great. Robin probably found the down climbs hardest as well as negotiating the boulder field at the bottom.

Kurt, Jody and Frank were so wonderful to be with for the day. Considering our relative lack of experience they were all so patient and supportive. Thank you guys! YOU ROCK!

I know Aaron was pumped up about the experience. At the bottom there were some families swimming in Pine Creek and he had some time to wait while mom picked her way down. I heard him telling the other kids how he just came down that canyon "up there" and pointing out the Lambs Tongue. He was justly proud of himself.

Another cool moment was hearing Frank and Jody sing St. Stephen once I explained my handle to them!

Couldn't make the pot luck unfortunately, but we'll see more folks tomorrow in Pine Creek/Keyhole. Then back to CA and work, sigh.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I can't believe I scheduled Bogleyfest for the same weekend as my niece's baptism. I sure wish I were down there with you guys.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Just got back!

What a fun weekend. Yes those men had me worried. I will leave the story telling to Don as he will tell it best, besides he has pics (insert suspensful music here). None of them were involved except in saving that boys life. I am thankful that I ran into Bo that night. I would have hunted a ranger down just to make sure they were all ok. I will post pics of my trip through Subway later. Loved my first canyon experience. Definately found a new sport. Loved meeting everyone at the potluck. I have to apologize I was so exhausted I wasn't my usual talkative self. Had one beer and just wanted a nap after that. Excited for next year.

Bogley BigShot
    Oh yeah!

Had a total blast meeting you all, have lots of pics to share that will come later when I get a sec to go through them. Here's a quickie of Jaxx in front with his bottle of liquid sunshine, follow by Desert Nomad and the Emperor flexing his muscles in the back. Amazing weekend!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

What a blast! It was great meeting everyone. I wish it didn't have to be so short. It is hard to get to know people on such short time. Next time I guess.

Hey, sorry; one more day of suspense. We're all safe and happy.
    Mostly, we had a hell of a good time! Mostly. We did have an interesting experience but we just got home, it's 2 in the morning, and I have to work tomorrow. I'll write a TR and post pictures tomorrow. G'night B.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I'll let Don give you the details of the accident but what I gathered from talking to him is the group behind them the first guy was down giving a fireman's belay. And by fireman's belay I mean he was taking pics and not with his hands on the rope. Second guy lost control and Don's group ran over and yanked out the slack as the guy fell. They then had to lower him to the ground. Broke a wrist, ribs, and banged his skull (no helmet). They gave him all their warm cloths and wrapped him up in a space blanket. Third guy in the other group up top ran for help. Don's group waited for the rescue to finish (4+ hours) continued on but got to Orderville 10:30 they had head lamps but thought it was better to bivy.

Sorry Don if I told too much or got some details wrong. Looking forward to the pics. Nice job on taking pics of this poor guy.

Also it was nice meeting everyone. Bummed I'm at work now after a great time in the canyons.

Wow! Awesome time this year at "Bogleyfest"! Thanks to all those responsible for making it happen. Tanya, Scott, Beech (sorry you couldn't make it), Tom (Jonathan and family). I know there were many others, but thanks. It was a blast to get together with everyone. I think Bogleyites made it out unscathed...no major epics. Good weekend! Look forward to getting together with newly made friends again.

Thanks to all!
    Bo

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Oh yeah Tanya we were bummed that you couldn't come on Subway.

I was bummed not to see your or your sence of hummor.

The phone call was about some of our group hadn't shown up yet. We were wondering who they were. Bo asked me to give you a call because he was having difficulty trying to reach you. 5 to 10 minutes everyone showed up.

Also it was a good excuse to try to talk to you.

Also Bo it's always a pleasure to get out with you.

sorry about the lateness on Saturday, sometimes it just feels better to curl up instead of getting up. sorry.

I agree, it was great to finally meet Bo, and have him share his knowledge of the area. Subway was a blast, beautiful scenery, a fun group, and just a great time all the way through... Thanks to all!

Hank
    It is not enough to understand the natural world; the point is to defend and preserve it. - 'Ed Abbey'

Quote Originally Posted by Hnak
    I agree, it was great to finally meet Bo, and have him share his knowledge of the area. Subway was a blast, beautiful scenery, a fun group, and just a great time all the way through... Thanks to all!

Hank
    Hank, you are awesome. I hope I can get together with you again and do some hiking. I would really love to see some of the things you might be able to share in "The Big Ditch" GC! Keep on 'truckin'! Thanks for your great company!

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Also Bo it's always a pleasure to get out with you.
    And Likewise Shaun! I almost went and hiked Heaps tomorrow morning (not planned), but it was called off. I was thinking.....dang...this means 2 trips in Heaps. I'll really look forward to getting out with you and doing H,K, and I soon I can hope!

Bogley BigShot
    I liked the parties most. Everyone was fun and I loved spending time with you guys -- even though I think most of you "guys" are under 35! The potluck was a blast! Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I liked the parties most. Everyone was fun and I loved spending time with you guys -- even though I think most of you "guys" are under 35! The potluck was a blast! Thanks Tom
    I had my 35th bday out on the unplanned bivy.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I had my 35th bday out on the unplanned bivy.
    I miss all the good trips! It's a shame that big guy.. Gonzo is it?? -- would not snuggle with you guys! I hope they at least sang to you.

Oh!!!! We forgot to celebrate your Birthday at the Pot Luck!!!!! I think I drank too much wine and forgot most everything!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DON!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm finally back home too. Vegas last night and now back in Santa Cruz County. We had a 55 degree daytime temperature swing between Mojave (113) and Watsonville (58 in the fog)!

What a great weekend. I already wrote about our great time in Spry. Keyhole and Pine Creek the next day were just brilliant too. Robin and Aaron enjoyed Keyhole but after the long day in Spry they felt ready to call it after Keyhole. They were a little cold from the swims and just not up for another canyon. Now the challenge was to make sure I would meet up with them after Pine Creek and still have time to drive to Vegas for dinner. It's so funny that after the earlier post where Bo estimated the finish of Pine Creek down to 10 decimal places that he did exactly guess our finish time and I pulled in to the Whiptail with Deanpaul just after they arrived there! With my 25th anniversary approaching I was joking that if I made Robin miss our dinner reservations I might not make it to 25, but we walked in to the restaurant exactly on time and it's looking good to stay married until the July 7th

Sorry we couldn't make it to the potluck the family was just a little too tired and I screwed up neither a) camping or b) staying closer to Springdale. Unfortunately that kept us from meeting several of you all. I hope I can rectify that next time.

But our absence at the potluck had nothing to do with not feeling welcome at our first Bogley Fest. Let me quote Robin, "Those were some of the nicest folks I've ever met. They were so cool to hang out with in the canyons and always so nice to me being the only woman on each trip and slower and less experienced". Aaron was also stoked and felt very welcomed. OK he would have liked one or two kids to mingle with, but several folks really went out of their way to connect with him and he and I really appreciated that. If any of you are out this way in NorCal we will hook you up with all the best spots to go hiking or biking or whatever and would love to be tour guides time permitting.

If I write any more I'm gonna get all mushy and weepy and unmanly

So I'll just add my extra special thanks to Tanya for organizing, Bo and Trackrunner for leading Pine Creek and Kurt for leading Spry.

P.S. Kurt and Bo I forgot to ask: what do the permits cost? Can I send you a check to cover any out of pocket expense you had?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"