Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion Bogleyfest - June 26-28 09' A Sucess! :)

Sweet! I reserved the permits for the behunin/telephone combo. Printing them out online is going to be so convenient and sweet! It was worth watching that movie.
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I scored permits for Spry on Friday, Engelstead on Saturday, and plan on Birch Hollow on Sunday. Limits each day are 6, 6 and 8 let's say, and include me.

Saturday's Engelstead is open to all but the beginingest beginners.

Sunday's Birch Hollow will be an instructional trip as much as anything, so is open to all, including beginingest beginners. Those without patience should find something else to do. High-Clearance 4WD especially desirable so we can avoid the long walk out.

Needless to say, HELMETS ARE REQUIRED for all of these trips.

Do I attempt to modify the master-plan myself, or is this something the ever-helpful Tanya takes care of???

Tom

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    I scored permits for Spry on Friday, Engelstead on Saturday, and plan on Birch Hollow on Sunday. Limits each day are 6, 6 and 8 let's say, and include me.

Saturday's Engelstead is open to all but the beginingest beginners.

Sunday's Birch Hollow will be an instructional trip as much as anything, so is open to all, including beginingest beginners. Those without patience should find something else to do. High-Clearance 4WD especially desirable so we can avoid the long walk out.

Needless to say, HELMETS ARE REQUIRED for all of these trips.

Do I attempt to modify the master-plan myself, or is this something the ever-helpful Tanya takes care of???

Tom
    I just post the stuff on the first post and the one that will be after this post. You get to do all the other work yourself.

Just wanted to throw this out also. I think I already know the answer but ya never know. Being a noob, I bought 11m ropes (150feet x 2) before I knew what was up. They are super heavy for these types of trips I imagine. Should I just leave them home or is there going to be a rope shortage and they might be still be needed you think?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Just wanted to throw this out also. I think I already know the answer but ya never know. Being a noob, I bought 11m ropes (150feet x 2) before I knew what was up. They are super heavy for these types of trips I imagine. Should I just leave them home or is there going to be a rope shortage and they might be still be needed you think?

This does not look much like a Deathcricket.

OK - John and I really want to do Birch on Sunday with Tom. We have a four wheel drive truck.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

This does not look much like a Deathcricket.
    I'm turning over a new leaf and showing my cuddly side on the internets.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

ok. if Tom is doing engelstead all the way through orderville then my group of 4 would like to join him. we will even carry the ropes. so I have telephone and behunin permits if someone wants them
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    OK - John and I really want to do Birch on Sunday with Tom. We have a four wheel drive truck.

So you don't want to do Das Boot/Subway on Sunday?
    Will you be able to do it on Sat? Or you guys gonna do something shorter cuz you're getting in late?

Tom took my girls and I down Birch years ago ~ it was their first canyon ever! OMG ~ I just looked up the Rave pix and it was back in 2003! Sarah was 12 & Rachael 10! Their 2nd canyon was Pine Creek, and Tom led us through that one as well! Gosh my girls were so little then!

Pix pilfered from Tom's Rave:http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0309summ/index.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Bogley BigShot
    I have the Subway/Das Boot trip set for Saturday. Is there a private trip on Sunday or are things messed up?

Birch Hollow

Mark me down for Birch Hollow on Sunday with Tom. Thanks!

Your Crib

Tanya, I noticed that you offered your place as a crash pad. That could be a mistake as I am asking you if it would be OK to string my tent in your yard, if there no space in the group camp at Watchman. I noticed that all the group sites were taken for that weekend; I'm not sure if one has been reserved for Bogleyfest or not. Do you know? If not, you may have one more guest. My footprint should be somewhere below zero after I leave as I would be willing to help clean up your place should that be necessary. At any rate, I look forward to meeting with you and thank you for your hospitality.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia

Excellent!!!

And we can spend a few minutes re-creating the Pine Creek Rescue Scenario...

T

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    ok. if Tom is doing engelstead all the way through orderville then my group of 4 would like to join him. we will even carry the ropes. so I have telephone and behunin permits if someone wants them
    Also most excellent. Carrying the ropes helps - ha ha, wait until you see the ropes!!!!

Will be fun to get out with the Bogleyites...

Tom

Tanya- I love your new profile picture! It is very fun.

And I can confirm right now that miracles pending, I am a definite no go for Bogleyfest. So my name and my brother's name can be removed. I'm hoping to come down in July and have some fun with you though and I am NOT missing BogleyFest in 2010!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Also most excellent. Carrying the ropes helps - ha ha, wait until you see the ropes!!!!

Tom
    Your not gonna make the poor guy pack 300' of 13mm are you?

Bogley BigShot

Re: Your Crib

Quote Originally Posted by jcaff
    Tanya, I noticed that you offered your place as a crash pad. That could be a mistake as I am asking you if it would be OK to string my tent in your yard, if there no space in the group camp at Watchman. I noticed that all the group sites were taken for that weekend; I'm not sure if one has been reserved for Bogleyfest or not. Do you know? If not, you may have one more guest. My footprint should be somewhere below zero after I leave as I would be willing to help clean up your place should that be necessary. At any rate, I look forward to meeting with you and thank you for your hospitality.
    John
    I am living in a condo like house, there is no back yard... its a community area, so that would not work too well. You can camp on the floor in the house though, or if camping is what you are into the group usually stays near Virgin in a free area for camping so there are no limits to the people there. PM Nelson or Rockgremlin for info, or somewhere in this thread Nelson posted that info.

These are houses that I have so that I can rent them out, but I am living in one right now. Take a look at the photos, it shows a picture out the back door and you can see what I am talking about. Remember folks, this is in Ivins, just south of St. George, which is about an hour from Zion.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sai...ntal-homes.htm

Tom
    I think we will be ok with the ropes. We have carried 300ft worth before. Plus its mostly down hill! we were thinking about bringing cheap tubes for the narrows, good or bad idea?

I am so pumped about this bogleyfest. It is going to be awesome!

Dan-
    You sent me a PM a little while ago that said something like "You have to go to the Bogleyfest. Make your schedule work around the fest". So I am just reminding you. No pressure
    The man thong is wrong.

I think we will be ok with the ropes. We have carried 300ft worth before. Plus its mostly down hill! we were thinking about bringing cheap tubes for the narrows, good or bad idea?
    Even if you DON'T get busted, tubes are unlikely to provide much if any fun in the Narrows. The water will likely be too low. (and they are not allowed, is my understanding).

T

Bogley BigShot
    Bo and I rented Kayaks from Zion Rock Guides in Springdale once and it was a blast!!! It was much funner than tubes. Of course you want to do this outside the park in Springdale rather than going through the narrows. There were lots of people in tubes that we had to go around though.