Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Zion Bogleyfest - June 26-28 09' A Sucess! :)

it was awesome doing canyons with you.

Aaron has earned a new nickname from me... I now call him Rockstar.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    it was awesome doing canyons with you.

Aaron has earned a new nickname from me... I now call him Rockstar.
    We enjoyed your company too, Dave.

I'll tell Aaron about his nickname

But we had two other stars, Bo the veteran Rockstar and of course we know who the track star is.

I loved when Bo said, "Now what's your handle again"?

"Trackrunner"

"Oh, then maybe you would be good to 'run' down to get the car and drive it back up here"!

That was a beautiful setup
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen

"Trackrunner"

"Oh, then maybe you would be good to 'run' down to get the car and drive it back up here"!
    OH SNAP

I'm finally back home too. Vegas last night and now back in Santa Cruz County. We had a 55 degree daytime temperature swing between Mojave (113) and Watsonville (58 in the fog)!

What a great weekend. I already wrote about our great time in Spry. Keyhole and Pine Creek the next day were just brilliant too. Robin and Aaron enjoyed Keyhole but after the long day in Spry they felt ready to call it after Keyhole. They were a little cold from the swims and just not up for another canyon. Now the challenge was to make sure I would meet up with them after Pine Creek and still have time to drive to Vegas for dinner. It's so funny that after the earlier post where Bo estimated the finish of Pine Creek down to 10 decimal places that he did exactly guess our finish time and I pulled in to the Whiptail with Deanpaul just after they arrived there! With my 25th anniversary approaching I was joking that if I made Robin miss our dinner reservations I might not make it to 25, but we walked in to the restaurant exactly on time and it's looking good to stay married until the July 7th

Sorry we couldn't make it to the potluck the family was just a little too tired and I screwed up neither a) camping or b) staying closer to Springdale. Unfortunately that kept us from meeting several of you all. I hope I can rectify that next time.

But our absence at the potluck had nothing to do with not feeling welcome at our first Bogley Fest. Let me quote Robin, "Those were some of the nicest folks I've ever met. They were so cool to hang out with in the canyons and always so nice to me being the only woman on each trip and slower and less experienced". Aaron was also stoked and felt very welcomed. OK he would have liked one or two kids to mingle with, but several folks really went out of their way to connect with him and he and I really appreciated that. If any of you are out this way in NorCal we will hook you up with all the best spots to go hiking or biking or whatever and would love to be tour guides time permitting.

If I write any more I'm gonna get all mushy and weepy and unmanly

So I'll just add my extra special thanks to Tanya for organizing, Bo and Trackrunner for leading Pine Creek and Kurt for leading Spry.

P.S. Kurt and Bo I forgot to ask: what do the permits cost? Can I send you a check to cover any out of pocket expense you had?
    Awesome that all went as planned. You folks were a delight! Thanks for letting me join. We're even on the permits I got. You and your families presence and comraderie were more than adequate payment!

PS: Happy anniversary! I may have you beat though (assuming I'm still married on July 4Th!). Maria and I celebrate our 26th on Independence DaY!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

"Trackrunner"

OH SNAP
    Yeah he got me good. At first Bo said he was going to run and get the car, I would have offered but he said he would. Then a few minutes later he pulled this. At first I thought he was asking ststephen but when he asked me again I thought he was asking for Dave since he may not know who I was so I responded, and then I got nominated. He got me good. How do you respond to that?

Didn't matter to me I was OK with it. I like nothing more than running down an asphalt road in 100 temps. At least the second car picked me up hitch hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

At least the second car picked me up hitch hiking.
    You were picked up? I thought you were lightning quick running the two switch backs. Or maybe I was in an altered state after the dusty uphill to the fifth switchback. You're still a stud in my book.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

At least the second car picked me up hitch hiking.
    You were picked up? I thought you were lightning quick running the two switch backs. Or maybe I was in an altered state after the dusty uphill to the fifth switchback. You're still a stud in my book.
    I got picked up as I was starting down the second switch back while running. So I made it most of they way but was glad for the ride.

So bummed I couldn't go. No Heaps permit, no hike, no Whiptail. But I did get to visit a client in the Cedar City Jail on Saturday!!!! I went to the Garden Place (I think that is what it is called) for dinner with my wife after the jail visit with a client so that was good.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    So bummed I couldn't go. No Heaps permit, no hike, no Whiptail. But I did get to visit a client in the Cedar City Jail on Saturday!!!! I went to the Garden Place (I think that is what it is called) for dinner with my wife after the jail visit with a client so that was good.
    Scott, you were missed. I had hoped to finally meet you. I missed meeting OldNo7 as well.

Jail visit on a Saturday - must be a paying client.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Scott, I don't know you but in other parts ofthe forum I've likedwhat you had to say AND I lookforward to eventually meeting you. Still, there's a good chance you'll take this the wrong way, but I'm not a sit on my hands kind of guy.

Whaaaaaaa. No Heaps permit, no party. I found Zion had more to offer than one canyon out of permits. You missed a great weekend. The fact is that you were as close to Zion as Cedar City and chose to stay out and dine with a client. You made a choice. Deal.

Regarding permits, the accessability of permits is flawed. It's dangerous, stone age, and maybe even unfair. But access into these wonderfully confined spaces needs to be managed. Or many canyonswill look like the tourist section of the Narrows, only people will be in over their heads eve moreso. If you have a better system to consider, suggest it.

I think you're better and more intelligent than your post above. Friends?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Scott, you were missed. I had hoped to finally meet you. I missed meeting OldNo7 as well.

Jail visit on a Saturday - must be a paying client.

I would like to meet you also Felicia, I carpooled each day back to Parowan. We wanted to stop by Sat. and at least say hi, but we couldn't remember the directions. Sorry to be the social mis-fit's, we'll adjust next year.

Scott, I don't know you but in other parts ofthe forum I've likedwhat you had to say AND I lookforward to eventually meeting you. Still, there's a good chance you'll take this the wrong way, but I'm not a sit on my hands kind of guy.

Whaaaaaaa. No Heaps permit, no party. I found Zion had more to offer than one canyon out of permits. You missed a great weekend. The fact is that you were as close to Zion as Cedar City and chose to stay out and dine with a client. You made a choice. Deal.

Regarding permits, the accessability of permits is flawed. It's dangerous, stone age, and maybe even unfair. But access into these wonderfully confined spaces needs to be managed. Or many canyonswill look like the tourist section of the Narrows, only people will be in over their heads eve moreso. If you have a better system to consider, suggest it.

I think you're better and more intelligent than your post above. Friends?
    Actually dinner with my wife. I invited her to come with me since Zion wasn't going to happen. As for my divorce client. he remained in jail and will be there for a decade or two. Yes, I could have still come to Zion but all the trips were full at least that is what I could tell. Also, those others in Zion that I hike with were there to do Heaps too. They just finished a week in Zion about two weeks ago and then a couple of days last week so Heaps was the only option for them. I didn't have the guts to get in the car, drive for four hours and hope to hike something.

As for the permit system, I agree that SOME canyons need to be managed. Not all, not even most. Pine Creek, Mystery, Subway, Narrows? Yes. Any others? Probably not. Lets continue this discussion on the other thread. Friends you ask? Absolutely.
    Life is Good

Confession: When I read your first post above I was sitting in the Sugarhouse Cinemark 12 being subjected to Monsters vs. Aliens or Aliens vs. Monsters or whatever that movie is called. I couldn't get into the story and checked out this thread at one point when my phone pinged me. So, I was distracted by the movie/typing on the iPhone/the other post you made in the Keyhole thread before it was split. Apologies for the snark and several missing spaces... :)

I misread about your dinner - thought you had two client meetings... I guess what I'm really truing to say is I wish you HAD just come down and found spots to fit in on canyons. There were a couple of permits that went unused or were turned back in - Echo for sure and maybe Behunin plus another... I understand about driving at the risk of major suckage. I took the chance and it came out alright for me, but there was no guarantee. What I'm most bummed about is not getting to meet you this trip.

Sorry for the shamefest.

What I'm most bummed about is not getting to meet you this trip.

Sorry for the shamefest.
    No shame here. I would have liked to meet you and many others and thank ya'll for the tr's questions and entertainment that helps break up my day. Maybe a lunch some time rather than a dinner? If I have the time I will drive to the SLC area for one. We did one here in North Utah County that was fun to put some names to faces. I must admit, dinners are difficult.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    . If you have a better system to consider, suggest it.
    You mean, like this:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/zcc/

Tom