Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook advice

Facebook advice

Crap. My mom discovered facebook.She friended me on Facebook a few minutes ago.
    So, here's the problem. She's a good & judgemental mormon and I am not. We have spent years arguing about religion and have finally found a truce because we just don't talk about religion or politics anymore, ever.
    Many of you know this can be difficult for me. I just keep my opinions to myself around her. I know it's a sad way to live, she really doesn't know me anymore, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life arguing with her.
    So now what? Do I ignore her request and likely have her ask why? Do I delete my Facebook and claim something tragic like a hacker got me? Do I friend her and just restrict what I post? (This option will result in my dropping Bogley as a friend because I don't want her to find this forum). Do I call her now and explain why I don't want to friend her? Is there some option I have missed?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

I know of people that have denied facebook friend status to a mother, aunt, and even grand mother.

Don face it. your screwed if you do accept her and screwed if you don't accept her.

Maybe create a second profile. Tell her she contacted the wrong profile. One is for work/professional reasons. The other is for family & friends, or personal.

I'm not sure if this will work now, since your wall is currently visible to anyone already on Facebook, but you might be able to play dumb and just say that you don't really use Facebook and didn't see her friend request. Of course, you'd have to change your privacy settings so that only friends could see your wall, so that she wouldn't notice any new activity from here on out...
    Blog | FB

Not knowing your Mom, it is hard to suggest too much but I think you should just add her and ignore her. Maybe Facebook can be a good way for you guys to reconnect.

Be honest. Remember, a lie has very short legs
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I was in this same dilemma @ a month ago.

Then I realized that all of the private messages I have with my girlfriends are not visible by other contacts.

I'd call her right now and just say- Hey Mom, as you know we both don't agree on politics and religion. Places like Bogley and Facebook are a place for me to vent my opinions. Just giving you forewarning Mom that there may be things on these websites that you don't agree with. Balls in your court on whether or not you want to be my friend on Facebook.

Don't hide. Don't lie. Don't cancel your accounts. Don't move Bogley. You guys agreed to disagree.

Done deal.

Ummm, that's your Mom I would never ignore mine, just food for thought. But, we all have our own reasoning's for things and ours alone.

Just accept her and continue with your ways, all of my family now has it and I never post anything that I would be embarrased of or is out of character so I didnt worry.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

you should never post anything that would incriminate you in open forum. I think that goes without saying I'm not for hiding anything but somethings just don't need to be explained to you mom

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    I'd call her right now and just say- Hey Mom, as you know we both don't agree on politics and religion. Places like Bogley and Facebook are a place for me to vent my opinions. Just giving you forewarning Mom that there may be things on these websites that you don't agree with. Balls in your court on whether or not you want to be my friend on Facebook.

Don't hide. Don't lie. Don't cancel your accounts. Don't move Bogley. You guys agreed to disagree.

Done deal.
    I agree with Alison... maybe it is time she gets to know the real you... let her know up front she is not going to like it and you are not going to discuss it with her... you are your own person. It's not like anything you post on here is incriminating...
    Chere'

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I ran into the same thing. My mom also discovered Facebook and friended me. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I've always been quite candid and my mom is no longer shocked by what I type/say or do.

She's your Mom. Either she'll accept you or not, but I'd recommend you just be yourself and be candid.

Re: Facebook advice

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    This option will result in my dropping Bogley as a friend because I don't want her to find this forum?
    What? Huh? Bogley?

Seriously guys, what is FaceBook? Passing fad... Is that like cheating on Bogley?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    This option will result in my dropping Bogley as a friend because I don't want her to find this forum?
    What? Huh? Bogley?

Seriously guys, what is FaceBook? Passing fad... Is that like cheating on Bogley?
    Come on acca get you an account. The Bogley facebook can be your first friend... not cheating.
    Chere'

I'm friends with my Mom on facebook.

Hell, I've got 13 or so family members and they're mostly quite religious.

I just leave all the stuff I shouldn't let them know about me on Bogley.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I don't want her to find this forum
    I wouldn't worry much about that. There are plenty of Dons on here, she won't know it's you.

My mom found out my username was Sombeech though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    My mom found out my username was Sombeech though.
    did she find the irony humorous?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I am with the girls on this one. Got to face your mom sooner or later, can't run for ever. Grow up, grow some balls and live your life, she will adopt. Don't change anything, don't be someone you are not, don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    she will adopt.
    I am trading you in for 32 lb Puerto Rican!

That was always my mothers threat to me when she was mad.
    Chere'