Thread: Dark Canyon

Dark Canyon

Has anyone been to Dark Canyon? I am looking at possibly doing a hike there, or heading back to the Maze. I'm just looking for any info on the area.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Has anyone been to Dark Canyon?
    Yes, many times. The best parts are between Youngs and Lost Canyon and not far below the Sundance Trail to the Colorado.

The part above Youngs Canyon is pretty and has some nice ruins, but it doesn't have quite the charm nor is it quite as spectacular as the parts mentioned above. Youngs Canyon (lower end especially) itself is primo and one of the gems on the Colorado Plateau.

If you only have one car, the Sundance Trail is the best bet. If you have more than one car and the time enter somewhere in the upper end and exit the Sundance Trail (and explore down canyon too).

Another option if you have one car (or two) is to go down Youngs and out Lean Two, but this is far more rugged and challenging than the routes mentioned above. If you like it really rugged and challenging though, it's a great option that will show you the best part of Dark Canyon without a car shuttle (or with a short car shuttle). Just don't expect an easy hike (though the route is still non-tehnical).

I am looking at possibly doing a hike there, or heading back to the Maze.
    I would choose based on the time of year. One of the best features of Dark Canyon (at least below Black Steer Canyon to the Colorado River) is swimming in all the waterfalls and crystal clear pools in the hot weather. Mid may through mid June and September are my favorite times to be there (the sections with the pools and waterfalls). The Maze is usually hot between mid May and late September.

Re: Dark Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Has anyone been to Dark Canyon? I am looking at possibly doing a hike there, or heading back to the Maze. I'm just looking for any info on the area.

Thanks.
    Hey Kris,

Didja see these two on Bogley?

Treehugger's trip:
    http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7199

My trip:
    http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3762

Both via Sundance Trail.

Gorgeous. I was really quite sick, and gave up after a day in the canyon - hiked back out in search of a pharmacy. But I do intend to go back for a much longer backpack in the canyon. One of these days...

I've been there a couple of times. I agree the best portion is accessed best by Sundance. If you can time getting to the top either late in day or early. View is spectacular down into the canyon.
    I really liked Youngs. I liked the bluish grey rock with the chert inclusions and the stream and pools along the main canyon. I think it is best in warm weather so you can swim.
    It's where I met three naked gorgeous men from Colorado swimming in a pool. It was a narrow part of the canyon where hiking elsewhere wasn't that possible. Try having a conversation at eye level. It was eye candy for sure. Got a couple of email addresses from that one.
    Below Sundance to Colorado is spectacular too.

Makes me with I was there.

If you go if you go upcanyon some from where the steep part of the trail meets the canyon you can find some smaller campsites with more solitude.

Upper Canyon area near Scorups' cabin is nice and interesting too, forested but with interesting rock formations exposed and some ruins.
    You can rest when you're dead