Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandthrax TR

Sandthrax TR

This is one of the better Sandthrax Trip Reports that I have read.

Sandthrax Trip Report

It really gives a good feel of the canyon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co
    Glad you liked itJ!
    It was a blast!

Welcome to Bogley...

And since you asked about other canyons rated 4 elsewhere here is a tip for ya.... ask the question here and I'm sure you will get a lot of good suggestions from some very talented canyoneers.

Welcome to bogley. Great report indeed.

Great report. Lots of great pics up there.

Other difficult slots you might look into (if you haven't already): Chopslot, Frosted Flakes, Bishop, HDH, any of the King's Mesa slots, Raven, and any of the Smith's Mesa slots as well.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

Other difficult slots you might look into (if you haven't already): Chopslot, Frosted Flakes, Bishop, HDH, any of the King's Mesa slots, Raven, and any of the Smith's Mesa slots as well.
    Now you have me really curious Rock. What Smith Mesa are you referring to? I must have a brain freeze. Smith Mesa in Zion doesn't have any slots that I know of. Is there another one?

Nat

Very awesome TR. You guys are hardcore to go in there semi blind. Not as hardcore as wearing mylar balloons as hats.
    The man thong is wrong.

despite the lack of information to be had on climb utah.
    One item I'm curious about.... is if you had my complete beta what did you find lacking?

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

How long did it take you guys. You were there at about sunrise and worried about losing light?
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    How long did it take you guys. You were there at about sunrise and worried about losing light?
    Nice job guys! Sandthrax is a good canyon; some tough spots in there.

FYI, I have a report on my website: www.adventure-geek.com from our trip through; it was on 10/24/07.

This link should get you right there (but the website is designed to go from the main www.adventure-geek.com address...)
    http://www.adventure-geek.com/Trips/2007/20071024.htm
    (You guys can check our times if you want; or Jaxx, you can see ours. We definitely weren't rushing though; took lots of photos too. I only posted a portion of them...)

This should bring you to our set of photos. Might give you a different idea on how to deal with the crux...
    http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...61/t_=38054161

Between the replies on Mountain Project and here; people aready gave the other challenging canyons that I know of... (The stemming ones at least...)

Take care,
    A.J.

Trail Master
    Took us all freaking day! We were up at 7 and the approach isn't long so I'm guessing it was no later then say 8:30 when we dropped in. I checked my phone I think at the silo with the subway or near there and it was around 3:30. Back to the car and beer in hand by about 5:30.

Ice it states on there it's not ment to be a guide. I wasn't trying to critisize, more like relate the sittuation to others. But having used your guides for practically all the other canyons I have been in I find they are pretty good at describing just about everything you might encounter. Not only that but they describe approx. when you will encounter significant obsticles, possible thoughts on how to deal with them and an order in which they will be encountered. I just figured you were vague and reluctant to write a full guide so as to try to keep people out of there. I don't think you have to ask me what it needs to be a comprehensive guide. It might be nice if it were one as you can tell some people have a sense of adventure too great to be held back by lack of information. It could keep people safer having the information at their disposal, atleast they know what to expect and how to gauge their progress etc. does that make any sense?

Sorry if this was more critisizm instead of being constructive, I really did try to reflect what I was thinking before and during the adventure. On the other hand would it have been such an adventure if I always knew what to expect? I guess I always have the option to keep the description in the pack you know? But if I ever want or need it I am happy to have it.

Trail Master
    Oh and I'm not just looking for hard stemming canyons, I would like to try my hand on some tricky pot holes and possibly some tricky natural anchor building as well.

Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox
    Oh and I'm not just looking for hard stemming canyons, I would like to try my hand on some tricky pot holes and possibly some tricky natural anchor building as well.
    For potholes, start with the stuff in the swell. Quandary direct. For a good and safe challenge; try to upclimb Knotted Rope, staying in the watercourse. You can always back down if you need to.

A fun pothole is NF Iron Wash (most go around it.)

When you have had a lot of good practice, think about:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15764

Here's another stemming one:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15760

There is some serious stuff out there though; so make sure you are ready for it. I'd hate to read about you on the news...

Later,
    A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox
    Sorry if this was more critisizm instead of being constructive, I really did try to reflect what I was thinking before and during the adventure.
    Gotcha...

I'm thinking about adding a line something to the effect of.... If you can't walk a mile using nothing but your butt checks this canyon is not for you.

Since reading there TR maybe someone could give a quick description of what each term means. ie stemming, mae west, silo etc. Some of these terms I am not exactly familiar with what is meant.
    Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

Now you have me really curious Rock. What Smith Mesa are you referring to? I must have a brain freeze. Smith Mesa in Zion doesn't have any slots that I know of. Is there another one?

Nat
    I'll answer for Justin since I can reedz mindz. He is talking about the smith canyon forks on Lake Powell such as Psycho D. Not Smith Mesa.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Since reading there TR maybe someone could give a quick description of what each term means. ie stemming, mae west, silo etc.
    Most of what you seek is already posted in the

Bogley Canyoneering Glossary
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2443

I started it but if anyone wants to fill in some of the missing items feel free....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Since reading there TR maybe someone could give a quick description of what each term means. ie stemming, mae west, silo etc.
    Most of what you seek is already posted in the

Bogley Canyoneering Glossary
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2443

I started it but if anyone wants to fill in some of the missing items feel free....

bingo. I would add to the stemming definition that it may mean rear end on one side of the canyon or canyon wall and feet on the other, hands on one side and feet on the other. Or any combination of body parts touching both sides of the canyon walls while being off the deck(the bottom of the canyon).
    Life is Good

Bombay

Mae West

Subway