Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogleyfest - May 1st-3rd 09

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Snow may be a problem this early, but Mt. Waas and Mt. Peale are on my list...
    List? watch list? i have not seen you hit a peak yet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Were your eyes closed here?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

We gotta camp and have a big fire! Maybe out in the sticks is best. Raise some hell!

I think everybody in the same place would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    We gotta camp and have a big fire! Maybe out in the sticks is best. Raise some hell!

Agreed, somewhere way out on Sand Flats road

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

I certainly wouldn't consider anywhere along Sand Flats Road 'out in the sticks'

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Is that somewhere out where we hit that mtn bike trail last time? I forget what trail that was...

Were your eyes closed here?
    LOL

Is that somewhere out where we hit that mtn bike trail last time? I forget what trail that was...
    That was up by Sovereign. Sand Flats is the one past Slickrock, I believe on the way out to porcupine rim. May be a little crowded come to think of it. Maybe somewhere past amassa back trailhead?

At the bottom of Hunter Canyon on Kane Creek Road there's a small set of about 4 campsites. No water, pit toilets, no GPS reception let alone cell phone reception and the largest campsite on the east side of the road is good for a group of a dozen or more around the fire. The others are limited to one large or two small to midsize tents each. I'm totally set up for car camping in location like this one and could bring a partial cord of firewood. There's also a couple of other similarly sized campsites up/down the road if a few want to keep their distance from the more raucous bogleyites.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...h&z=16&iwloc=A
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    At the bottom of Hunter Canyon on Kane Creek Road there's a small set of about 4 campsites. No water, pit toilets, no GPS reception let alone cell phone reception ]
    I would say if doing something like this where a bunch of people are trying to meet out in the middle of nowhere that have never been there before GPS reception is an absolute must. Otherwise people are going to be lost and annoyed, and it will either be a bad start to the trip or ruin it all together.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Getting lost would be half the fun of finding the place. How on earth did people ever function with out GPS.

I am good for car camping! I have all my own stuff and am dying to go camping, I even have a cord of wood already.
    Chere'

my vote would be for the first weekend in may.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    How on earth did people ever function with out GPS.
    They got lost, trips got ruined, and "strangers" didnt meet up with each other. just like i said...LOL

The temps in the end of may can be pretty toasty. First part of May is usually about perfect for weather in moab.
    Camping down in kane creek the end of May would be cooler then sands flats, but sand flats has it advantages you can be on the asphalt and off to where ever you want to go quick. It's a short jaunt out to kane creek. You have to pay to stay at sand flats. On a side note I think the aca is planning a roundy the end of may or first part of june in moab. I would lean to the first part of May if you can make that work.

I would say if doing something like this where a bunch of people are trying to meet out in the middle of nowhere that have never been there before GPS reception is an absolute must. Otherwise people are going to be lost and annoyed, and it will either be a bad start to the trip or ruin it all together.
    If you have that much trouble finding the bottom of Hunter Canyon, people should not be letting you leave the house. There is GPS reception but the canyon is narrow enough that it's really hit and miss. You'll be able to get your "it's 0.4329 miles ahead" reading and then it just might disappear for 10 minutes or an hour. That should be enough to get you within 100 yards. If you need more help than that... Can I recommend an orienteering class?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    There is GPS reception but the canyon is narrow enough that it's really hit and miss. You'll be able to get your "it's 0.4329 miles ahead" reading and then it just might disappear for 10 minutes or an hour. That should be enough to get you within 100 yards.
    well if you can get with in a hundred yards or ".4" miles ahead on the right road that is good enough for me. I was meaning the "take the third dirt road after the big bend in the paved road. Then turn right at the large sage brush, if you pass the tree stump you went to far " directions. And then the "oh that was a small bend not the big bend" explanation when someone gets found after being lost. know what i mean? And people that have been there always think they give great directions but that is somewhat because they have already been there before.

Dubinky Wells at the base of the needle is a huge flat perfect tenting and camp. And its way out in the sticks. The riding is great around Rainbow terrace and Hidden canyon.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan

Dubinky Wells at the base of the needle is a huge flat perfect tenting and camp. And its way out in the sticks. The riding is great around Rainbow terrace and Hidden canyon.
    Oh, btw its haunted.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Oh, btw its haunted.
    Like Indian haunted or something else.. that sounds like a good time to me.
    Chere'

Yeah like a good haunted.
    I always feel some great things there.

Saw an apparition once. Maybe it was tequila.
    Several of my friends have reported the same.