Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab Bogleyfest - May 1st-3rd 09

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Yeah like a good haunted.
    I always feel some great things there.

Saw an apparition once. Maybe it was tequila.
    Several of my friends have reported the same.
    So what is the history of the area?
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sego canyon on the other hand is a bad kind of haunted.

I only go there in the daylight now.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Yeah like a good haunted.
    I always feel some great things there.

Saw an apparition once. Maybe it was tequila.
    Several of my friends have reported the same.
    So what is the history of the area?
    I have heard several versions. Not sure what I believe but its a interestng place to sit in the dark and be very still.

Its also a great place for an ass kicking bon-fire.

And no sand flats road tweekers hangning around.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Sand Flats has more 'general' traffic, mainly because it's now paved all the way up nearly to the Porcupine Trailhead. There are a crapload of campsites. Yes, you have to pay but the last camp near the top is fairly new...ten miles out of town but quiet(I've camped there once) Campsite at the lower elevation are hotter and closer near the top are breezy and cool. The cliff camps are fairly well protected and cool down at night.
    Kane Creek Road is much longer and all dirt but you can usually find a place to pull out. The first few miles along the river you end up paying no matter where you pull out & It gets dusty the more traffic it gets & you need a 4wd to cross the creek at times. Cars won't make it past the creek. Lots and lots of places to pull out and set up camp but very few 'marked' paysites past the canyon. It gets windy down the valley once it heads south.
    Another area is up river in the Big Bend area. Honestly, Fourtycal and I have camped nearly everywhere down there for the last 15+ years and we tend to head up Sand Flats road most the time simple because of it's proximity to town - I don't really care where we camp. We've even camped down the potash road on several occasions...all the way from the first pull outs to Wall St. and up to the Poison Spider trailhead.
    We've looked at the Bull Canyon area below Gemini Bridges but you can't really camp up there anymore. Any camps up on the LaSals are cool but take a while to get to.
    .....this is probably information overload(sorry) but pick something easy for everyone to find

It would be cool if someone was in the area before our trip and could scope out a place. Then post pics and coords.

Hell with the firewood. We ought to bring a trailer full of pallets and some gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    It would be cool if someone was in the area before our trip and could scope out a place. Then post pics and coords.

Hell with the firewood. We ought to bring a trailer full of pallets and some gasoline.
    I always bring some wood. You'll never find any down there. I always bring waterjugs.......you can fill 'em up at the artesian well at the base of the cliff near the junction to Moab. I also rattle on and on and on.....

Guys, there is a nice little camping spot out near Kens Lake (approx 7 mile out of town) called Flat Pass , generally there is water in the creek which is really nice & some old movie set caves are there, no facilities though. The area has trees for shelter which is nice in the hot weather & swimming is always nice too! The start or finish of Steel Bender is a bit further up the trail & not right near the camping spot.
    There is also, of course, out a bit further along the behind the rocks trail as it opens up to a huge flat area, great for open camping & Huge Loud Ho- Downs let me know if I can help in any way as I would be only too happy

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Acca.... I like your style.
    Chere'

Oh yeah, there is also some new campsites just finished out Kane Creek Road, set up for tents, but they are awfully open to the hot sun, just ah'....at the start near the Moab rim trail or thereabouts, no trees at all.

May sucks for me
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Is May a must do time? there's the end of April as well but we'd have to do at least a week after Jeep Safari (easter week) - that is an insane time to go!
    Here is a link to the Sand Flats area:

http://www.utah.com/playgrounds/sand_flats.htm
    and a calendar of events :
    http://www.moabutah.explorefourcorners.com/events.html
    BTW, the Moab Arts Festival is May 24th - 26th - very cool indeed

I wasn't planning on being in charge or anything but IF I were I would choose this.

If I can get my time off with days off or vacation days then I can go down early and find some sites. They are on a first come first serve basis - no reservations - but there are a lot of 'em and I can even find campsites during Safari week There are just too many people AND extra law enforcement there...read: no loud parties. ANY other time works & the local enforcement doesnt usually bother you.

Dude we need loud parties

Dang! I leave this thread for a few days and it takes off!! So we thinking weekend of May 1 or 22 or 29? IMO- I'd rather not go on a weekend that has something huge going on. End of April is out for me b/c I have a performance with my art center. So let's pin a date!

Edit: Oops ok so Memorial Day is the weekend of 22nd which is also the Art Festival which would be cool to go to. But I don't know how into the Memorial Day crowd I am into? Just me being OVERLY particular.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    May sucks for me
    May 1???

Quote Originally Posted by 1Aussie
    Guys, there is a nice little camping spot out near Kens Lake (approx 7 mile out of town) called Flat Pass , generally there is water in the creek which is really nice & some old movie set caves are there, no facilities though. The area has trees for shelter which is nice in the hot weather & swimming is always nice too! The start or finish of Steel Bender is a bit further up the trail & not right near the camping spot.
    There is also, of course, out a bit further along the behind the rocks trail as it opens up to a huge flat area, great for open camping & Huge Loud Ho- Downs let me know if I can help in any way as I would be only too happy

Alright count me in, maybe I can bring a pop up and we can have somewhere to cook easier. that would be cool, I am down for mtn biking always!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Count me in for anytime.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    May sucks for me
    May 1???
    If we're talking May then I'm good the weekend of May 1 or May 29

may 1, and i can do it.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    BTW, the Moab Arts Festival is May 24th - 26th - very cool indeed
    This sounds cool... what exactly does the arts festival entail and include? Let's hear some details