Thread: TR: Swell - Horsethief Canyon

TR: Swell - Horsethief Canyon

My wife, sister in law, her boyfriend and I went down to the northern reef of the San Rafael Swell on Saturday morning for a great low maintenance day trip. We basically decided to go at 7 am and left SLC at 8. This would be my first hike (or activity outside of ice fishing) since major surgery on Dec. 29 and I was fighting a cold and hopped up on sinus meds but all worked out well. It was perfect hiking weather.

The drive in was good until just before the Smith Cabin where we had to stop (Dodge Intrepid) before a small wash filled with breakable ice and water. It wasn't deep but it was my sister in law's new ride and it only added a mile or so to our hike. No snow on the roads but some on the shadier parts of the hike. The San Rafael River was frozen. Left the car at about noon and got back around 5 with at least an hour of hanging and eating on the rim. My wife and I have done this hike about 10 times so I didn't get much in the way of photos. It was my first outing with my new Canon 5d Mark II so it felt good to play around with it a bit. No UV Haze filter yet for those of you who'll notice. We actually stayed the night in Price and had a decent meal at Ricardo's in town. There weren't too many options that included alcohol but we made a good choice. A nice little cheap vacation 2 hours from home and we made it back with plenty of time to see the Super Bowl.

Not much for a TR but thought I'd throw the info up.

My Wife:

Dried:

Twin, Boyfriend Jay, Callie, Me (auto-timer was interesting because we are sitting on an exposed rock where a misstep would be bad! - See bottom photo):

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great photos.
    I we were planning on doing this hike in November but switched things up at the last moment.