Thread: Peter (psl53) What's Your Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psl53
    I have a lunch box locker in my TJ's front diff and it's scary to drive in icy/snowy conditions.
    What do you have the EZ-Locker, Tru-Trac, Lock-Rite? Locked front ends will always have a tendency to track straight, even when you turn. Sometimes it causes the front end to push as you turn. The "Lunchbox" type are supposed to release and allow the diff to unlock when in a turn, but on slippery or snowy surfaces they don't always "unlock" due to the road conditions. In my opinion, the ARB is the best locker for vehicles that are also used as daily drivers. When you need that added traction, hit the switch and you're locked...when you don't need it, psssh...unlocked. Great lockers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JP,
    Thanks, I have a Powertrax (made by Richmond). I am trying to get away cheap. it was only $280 and I installed it my self. The idea was to get by for a while until I decide if I want to lower my rear. I have a 373 and haven't decide to 4.10s or 4.56s. But,I agree 100% ARBs are the way to go. I just need to find a extra 4 grand laying around
    Thanks
    Peter

There's nothing wrong with going the route you did, we all have. You just have to get used to the way it handles with that locked front end. I'm sure when the snow isn't around and your wheelin' your favorite trails, you don't complain too much on that front end

What sized tires are you running? The Dana 30 is a pretty little stout axle that can handle its fair share for what it is. I'll assume you're running the 35 rear and probably not that optioned 44? Or haven't ventured into replacing it with the Ford 8.8 or a 44? The 35 is the weak link in the drivetrain. If ya ever snapped one, the rear axle just slides right out Nothing holding that puppy in Depending on how you wheel, swapping out that 35 might be an idea with the gear change in the future. 3.73's to 4.10's isn't all that much of a gain. The 4.56 or 4.88 might be a better selection depending on what you're thinking of running or already have for tires and either the manual or auto tranny. Points to ponder I'm curious to know what you have for your setup....we also love pictures in here If ya haven't figured that one out yet

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Back when I still had a dana 30 up front in my yj(locked), I installed a switch in the vacuum line that went to fork on the passenger side of the axle. The switch would release the fork allowing the passenger axle/tire to free wheel. Used it a lot in the rocks when it became difficult to steer.
    Probably less than a $10 fix

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Also--Jeep had a cast iron fork that would replace the stock aluminum one, a worthy investment.

I don't believe the TJ's use the same CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) as did the YJ's. Both don't utilize the locking hubs, but I believe the TJ's use a different system than that of the YJ's.

JP,
    Thanks for starting a new thread. My rig is set up more for the trail. It's got 33's , a 44 posi rear and 4.5 rubicon express lift kit with an Atlas II. It's an Auto so it crawls pretty well, but I also need to be careful about water crossing as the vent in the auto sits just on top of the tranny. I pretty much built a rig to cruise around cedar mesa and combs to get to some trail-heads for some ruins hikes. I'll try to post a photo from Moab. Thanks for the input I enjoy seeing the photos of your build.

Great ride When are you throwing in the matching 44 up front Looking forward to the pics
    I kind of miss full-bodied wheeling

Quote Originally Posted by psl53
    JP,
    Thanks for starting a new thread. My rig is set up more for the trail. It's got 33's , a 44 posi rear and 4.5 rubicon express lift kit with an Atlas II. It's an Auto so it crawls pretty well, but I also need to be careful about water crossing as the vent in the auto sits just on top of the tranny. I pretty much built a rig to cruise around cedar mesa and combs to get to some trail-heads for some ruins hikes. I'll try to post a photo from Moab. Thanks for the input I enjoy seeing the photos of your build.
    What trail is this? It kinda looks like Kane Creek, but I'm not 100%.