Thread: Silly Pet Tricks

Silly Pet Tricks

I have stashed a few of the more interesting NPS morning reports on my computer over the years. I stumbled into this one while searching for info on the Kolob/Subway death.....

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE MORNING REPORT
    To: All National Park Service Areas and Offices
    Date: August 17, 1992

INCIDENTS
    92-440 Zion (Utah) Rescue

On the afternoon of August 12th, four young Utah men attempted to descend into the canyon at Pine Creek Narrows utilizing a rope purchased from a hardware store. Because of the sheerness of the rock face and the numerous pour-offs, full-length climbing ropes, some climbing equipment and some expertise on their use are required for this descent. Despite their lack of all three, the group descended to the first pour-off, leaving a portion of their rope behind. At the second pour-off, three of the youths descended to the end of the now shortened rope, then dropped into a plunge pool. The fourth member decided not to take the plunge and was therefore able to retreat and report that his companions were unable to get out of the pool. Four rangers and a local climber responded, rappelled to the trio, demonstrated ascending techniques, and belayed the youths out of the canyon their first ascent, conducted on vertical rock and in the dark. The rescue operation was completed at 11:00 p.m. [Larry Van Slyke, CR, ZION, 8/17]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Silly Pet Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I have stashed a few of the more interesting NPS morning reports on my computer over the years. I stumbled into this one while searching for info on the Kolob/Subway death.....

INCIDENTS

On the afternoon of August 12th, four young Utah men attempted to descend into the canyon at Pine Creek Narrows utilizing a rope purchased from a hardware store. Because of the sheerness of the rock face and the numerous pour-offs, full-length climbing ropes, some climbing equipment and some expertise on their use are required for this descent. Despite their lack of all three, the group descended to the first pour-off, leaving a portion of their rope behind. At the second pour-off, three of the youths descended to the end of the now shortened rope, then dropped into a plunge pool. The fourth member decided not to take the plunge and was therefore able to retreat and report that his companions were unable to get out of the pool. Four rangers and a local climber responded, rappelled to the trio, demonstrated ascending techniques, and belayed the youths out of the canyon their first ascent, conducted on vertical rock and in the dark. The rescue operation was completed at 11:00 p.m. [Larry Van Slyke, CR, ZION, 8/17]
    Well... one out of four with the brain turned on ain't too bad....

Tom

Re: Silly Pet Tricks

INCIDENTS

Oh man (head shaking back and forth). I am suprised they made it down the first two drops with junk rope. I wonder how their hands were doing. I know those drops aren't big but still.
    Life is Good

that story falls in line with my theory that 75% of people are incapable of rational or logical thought.
    The man thong is wrong.

When I first started doing canyons in Zion there were two stories of mythical proportion floating around.

The first was the one above about the guys doing Pine Creek with rope from the hardware store. The original story/myth I heard came in many different versions. Some had the guys making it through the slot and some had them near death when they were rescued... but I found the rescue detailed in the NPS Report above was the base for all the stories/myths.

The second story/myth I searched out was about the German Tourists in Imlay. This story also had many different versions floating around. Sometimes the canyon was Imlay and other times it was Heaps. In many of the stories the tourists swam and jumped the completely filled potholes and made it to the final rappel before needing help. I searched hard and could never find the base for the original story. I looked back through all the NPS reports and could never find it mentioned. Then one day I was driving down to North Wash with Barb Pollyea and she tells me this crazy tale about the time they discovered some German Tourist's in Imlay..... BINGO, I found the base of the story/myth... Barb was kind enough to write the story up for me and I published it in the book Canyoneering Tales. The story is also posted at:

German Tourists - Where did you come from?
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/germantourists.htm

I haven't pimped the Canyoneering Tales book for a long time but if anyone wants a copy it's still available at:

Canyoneering Tales
    http://www.cafepress.com/climbutah.11918147

There are a lot of good stories in the book.

Since this is called 'silly pet tricks" I thought I read somewhere about a myth or actual story of someone taking a dog through imlay or heaps because the girl on the trip would not leave it behind. Myth or True story?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Since this is called 'silly pet tricks" I thought I read somewhere about a myth or actual story of someone taking a dog through imlay or heaps because the girl on the trip would not leave it behind. Myth or True story?
    i have also heard of this story. it even involved someone giving mouth to mouth to the dog after they stored it in a dry bag to cross some potholes
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    i have also heard of this story. it even involved someone giving mouth to mouth to the dog after they stored it in a dry bag to cross some potholes
    This is a true story. One of, if not the funniest trip report ever rendered. I'll look for it and post if someone already hasn't beaten me to it.
    Life is Good

True story, Stefan posted it on his canyon tales site. CLASSIC! Even if you hate reading TR's, you should read this one.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...le/?i=shtheaps

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    True story, Stefan posted it on his canyon tales site. CLASSIC! Even if you hate reading TR's, you should read this one.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...le/?i=shtheaps
    Agree 100% with Shagy. Best trip report ever

Also talked about here

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4446

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tanya wrote:
    I want to know who the guy is now.

iceaxe wrote:
    Guys don't rat out other guys, page 3 of the "Guys Code of Conduct Handbook"

So Shane if this really happened it sounds like you know who it was.
    The guys code of conduct statute of limitations is up. The guys code of conduct only has a shelf life of 3 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tanya wrote:

iceaxe wrote:

The guys code of conduct statute of limitations is up. The guys code of conduct only has a shelf life of 3 years.
    Acutally in Utah, all statutes of limitations not otherwise specifically defined are 4 years. He has one more year. Also, Miranda would suggest that you, Ice, have the right to remain silent, forever. Anything you say can and will be used against you. And might I say, the women I know never forget and what ever you say will in fact be used against you. (Man rule 271: Lend a helping hand particularly to another man in need of protecting yet another man who may have done something that can be used by women to humiliate him. )
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

tanya wrote:

iceaxe wrote:

Click on Stephan's link. Look at who the author is. Is that the guy?

Since his name appears on stefan's site I assume the bro-code is now void...

it was *cough*DaveBlacK*cough*.

But I really though most you guys would be more interested in who the chick was..... now I can understand the old married guys lack of interest in a woman like this.... but I thought some of you young single guys would be all over this.

The lizard that got away.

We were doing Krill one time and my kids had caught this lizard. While I was overseeing our group rappeling they took this lizard and set it on the back of my neck. The little sucker then ran down my shirt. I was unaware that any of this had happened. About 4 hours later we were in Ray's eating and the waitress came up to take our order. Just then the lizard ran down my arm onto the table off the table and across Rays. I jumped the waitress screamed my kids died laughing. So next time your in Ray's look for my pet lizard, he is probably enjoying his new diggs. How that little sucker was hanging out in my shirt and I never felt him is a mystery.
    Mark

Since his name appears on stefan's site I assume the bro-code is now void...

it was *cough*DaveBlacK*cough*.

But I really though most you guys would be more interested in who the chick was..... now I can understand the old married guys lack of interest in a woman like this.... but I thought some of you young single guys would be all over this.

We just wanted ot know who would be so whooped to allow a dog to come along. But if you have pics of the chick were waiting.

Re: The lizard that got away.

We were doing Krill one time and my kids had caught this lizard. While I was overseeing our group rappeling they took this lizard and set it on the back of my neck. The little sucker then ran down my shirt. I was unaware that any of this had happened. About 4 hours later we were in Ray's eating and the waitress came up to take our order. Just then the lizard ran down my arm onto the table off the table and across Rays. I jumped the waitress screamed my kids died laughing. So next time your in Ray's look for my pet lizard, he is probably enjoying his new diggs. How that little sucker was hanging out in my shirt and I never felt him is a mystery.
    Mark

Too funny!

My family and I were doing Kanarra creek, my child is only 2 so he has to be carried a lot still. Anyways I always try to point out snakes, lizards, birds, etc. Really likes it as most kids do. Anyways, there are always these little gray frogs hanging out on all the canyon walls. He started noticing them and pointing them out. Well somehow he managed to slip one in his backpack without my knowledge while perched on my back or walking through the canyon. It's a little bear backpack with a leash. He thinks its cool to carry his own water and a toy around. I like it because I can keep him close to me in case I need to get him quick. Being 2 he isn't the best at keeping himself away from harm yet. Actually I have a pic I'll put up. You can see it on his back there.

Anyways, way later that evening, it was time for bath and bed. While drawing his bathwater, he goes into one of the closets and grabs his bucket of water toys like he always does. But he also had the foresight to go into his backpack, find his stashed frog, and take THAT to the bathtub with him. I've never laughed so hard in my life seeing him bring that into the bathroom. I felt bad for the frog, but could not stop laughing at his cleverness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your safety is not my responsibility.