Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-line figure 8

In-line figure 8

Anyone know a link to, or have a description of (preferably photo description) an in-line figure 8? Also, what do you use it for?
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've seen it used to equalize anchors....

Inline Figure 8 Knot

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: In-line figure 8

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Anyone know a link to, or have a description of (preferably photo description) an in-line figure 8? Also, what do you use it for?
    May I recommend the Alpine Butterfly as a better alternative, in all circumstances. Mostly because I have trouble tying a directional 8, and with practice no trouble tying an Alpine Butterfly.

Tom

Scott here is a website that shows most of the knots being tied.
    http://animatedknots.com/indexclimbi...matedknots.com
    It's a great site.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    May I recommend the Alpine Butterfly as a better alternative, in all circumstances. Mostly because I have trouble tying a directional 8, and with practice no trouble tying an Alpine Butterfly.

Tom
    YouTube instructionals on the A.B. are particularly poor. Can you wait until next week?

T

Thanks guys. Most helpful! Tom, I agree with the Alpine Butterfly. I can tie that in my sleep and frankly I use the butterfly all the time to tie stuff down on my truck.
    Life is Good

Tom
    YouTube instructionals on the A.B. are particularly poor. Can you wait until next week?

T
    Yes, I can wait till next week. I am just bored and going through the ACA knot check lists and that is one knot I was not familiar with.
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

I know Dave Black shows some uses for this knot in his book. I'll look it up. I do remember this knot in the rescue section of the book.

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...5/product.html

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Tom

T
    Yes, I can wait till next week. I am just bored and going through the ACA knot check lists and that is one knot I was not familiar with.
    If you are looking to do an inline the way the ACA teaches, Shanes video is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7

Tom

T
    If you are looking to do an inline the way the ACA teaches, Shanes video is wrong.
    This begs the question, if the knot is tied and dressed correctly, is there a wrong way to tie it? Will the ACA not pass you off if you tie the knot properly but you don't use "their" method of tying it? Now I am confused.
    Life is Good

So the next question is Oldno 7 what does the aca do different?

This is how I was taught.
    I'll see if I can post the correct progression.
    You start your first loop in the opposite direction you intend to pull from.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Scott
    Are studying knots for a canyon leader exam?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    So the next question is Oldno 7 what does the aca do different?
    Based on the tying sequence that Old showed, and these pictures of the in-line figure-8 from the Youtube video and the one from AnimatedKnots.com, there is no difference in the knot - just how it is tied.

And I learned the in-line figure-8 from the ACA, too, but I learned how to tie it even differently, starting with a "S" shape and progressing from there.

For usefulness, this knot used to be taught as part of the mechanism to tighten the guide line in a guided rappel (preferably when the rope is wet to offset the heat that can build up as a result of friction).

And, Scott, if you're going for your ACA Merit Badge, let me know because I'm selling really pretty, green sashes on eBay for you guys to display them on!

However, I do not accept ACA Points - only cash and PayPal!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skianddive
    Based on the tying sequence that Old showed, and these pictures of the in-line figure-8 from the Youtube video and the one from AnimatedKnots.com, there is no difference in the knot - just how it is tied.
    Not true. The blue one is tied wrong. The red one is correct. Look closer. To be tied correctly the rope and the loop must exit the knot side-by-side.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

i have been climbing over 30 years now and am not usually stumped by the knots that i have seen discussed here. but this inline 8 is a new one.

i'm not sure why you wouldn't just use an 8 on a bight? most likely the 8 on a bight is a stronger knot. the inline 8 does look easier to untie after loading though. and while the alpine butterfly is a good middleman knot for alpine travel i don't know as i would use it as my first choice for a intermediate anchor knot. which i am assuming that is what the purpose of this knot is. it certainly would not work for a middleman tie-in for glacier travel as it appears to be a directional knot. possibly you might use it on a fixed line situation or in an attempt to equalize the load on multiple inline anchors, but then there couldn't be any possible change in the direction of pull.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Les
    You are correct in that it is directional, usually used in conjunction with tensioning lines, as Lee stated in a canyon situation possibly tensioning a guide line for a guided rappel.

on a side note:

Lee
    I don't know you from adam but your continual attacks on the ACA become tiresome. I guess you had a bad experience with Rich some years ago, so the ACA is not only Rich but many other capable canyoneers. Do you have a beef with all of us? Surely you wouldn't deny that Rich has taught many canyoneers and made the sport inheritantly safer?
    Spare me the you should have known him back when, I really am tired of the contoversy
    I enjoy the sport and I enjoy learning, I've learned alot from many people and hope to continue to do so. If you have intelligent things to add to this discussion jump in and help us out.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Scott
    Are studying knots for a canyon leader exam?
    That is/was the plan. My Mapleton homies and I would like to have the "merit badge". Frankly, the skills are nice to know and I do want the tool box full. We are being asked to assist other Venture groups fairly regularly now and we would like to continue to learn and then use that which best works for us in any given situation. I for one did not have a climbing background so all this stuff is good for me to learn. I know some here have issues with the ACA, I don't. They offer the training, they have an organized lesson plan and a test. I will try to stay out of any recent or past tiffs that may exist and just try to learn. Unfortunately, I am committed to a teaching assignment and a church event that I am incharge of so.... dang it, I will have to learn vicariously for now from the boys that go next week. One day I will go. I can't believe that I have sent two groups now and I have been aced out of the training for other prior committments twice now!
    Life is Good

Sounds like all the right reasons, best of luck to you and your scout group.

e-mail me if you have any questions or need any help preparing for the exam. cougar at netutah dot com

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i have been climbing over 30 years now and am not usually stumped by the knots that i have seen discussed here. but this inline 8 is a new one.

i'm not sure why you wouldn't just use an 8 on a bight? most likely the 8 on a bight is a stronger knot. the inline 8 does look easier to untie after loading though. and while the alpine butterfly is a good middleman knot for alpine travel i don't know as i would use it as my first choice for a intermediate anchor knot. which i am assuming that is what the purpose of this knot is. it certainly would not work for a middleman tie-in for glacier travel as it appears to be a directional knot. possibly you might use it on a fixed line situation or in an attempt to equalize the load on multiple inline anchors, but then there couldn't be any possible change in the direction of pull.
    We're all on sailing ships using sisal and hemp rope, so every iota of strength counts.... oh, wait, we're not!

For low load applications (ie, everything we do), 8 on a bight is probably just as good. The directional 8 has the advantage that the "through" direction is pretty close to full strength, which is not true of an 8 on a bight. The Alpine Butterfly is probably inbetween, and stays together when loaded "through" better than an 8 on a bight.

Tom