Thread: Dead Climbers on Everest (NSFW?)

Dead Climbers on Everest (NSFW?)

A friend sent me this..... enjoy.

There are bodies all along the climbing routes that lay where they fell because no one has the strength or energy to take them down or bury them especially since most are located in the "death zone." Found some pics on the interwebs (call it a morbid curiosity).

This guy is known as "Green Boots" and is believed to be Tsewang Palor who died during his decent on May 10th, 1996 during a brutal storm...

Here are a couple more random unlucky climbers:

Here's one of George Mallory where he has lain since falling to his death in 1924

Freaky huh?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Where is the pictures of Andrew Irvine?

James

Wow, great photos

Shouldn't you post those photos in the FAIL thread?

Don would!
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Nice pics, er, interesting pics, er, well, you know what I am getting at.

How bout some pics of the trash that is up there? How much have the Sherpas brought down? That is sadder than the loss of life. They who dare to go up know the risk...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I found this topic kinda interesting and was snooping around and found a lot of info about "Green Boots" on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots

If I understand things correctly Green Boots got the chop in the same storm made famous by Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air.

I was shocked at the caption that said 1 out of 4 climber dies. Here are the facts I found that seem to indicate this is not the case.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/activi...e/evefacts.htm
    Facts About Mt. Everest

* Tallest mountain in the world.
    * Number of people to attempt to climb Mt. Everest: approximately 4,000.
    * Number of people to successfully climb Mt. Everest: 660.
    * Number of people who have died trying to climb Mt. Everest: 142.
    But still, what an interesting read. Amazing how preserved the bodies are, but given the extreme cold environment and lack of oxygen, I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

If you have any info about the amount of trash up there, I cant find any good info on that. It's got to be a crapload of empty oxygen tanks, power bar wrappers, and human excrement wonderland.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Where is the pictures of Andrew Irvine?

James
    Happy?

Quote Originally Posted by skianddive

Don would!

What I find interesting is that the mountain is still growing appox. 2.4" every year.
    http://www.extremescience.com/MountEverest.htm
    Now that doesn't sound like much, but it turns out that the mountain is 17 feet higher than it was when Mallory first went up. So every year someone goes up, they have been higher than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by skianddive

Don would!
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    I was shocked at the caption that said 1 out of 4 climber dies. Here are the facts I found that seem to indicate this is not the case.

Facts About Mt. Everest

* Tallest mountain in the world.
    * Number of people to attempt to climb Mt. Everest: approximately 4,000.
    * Number of people to successfully climb Mt. Everest: 660.
    * Number of people who have died trying to climb Mt. Everest: 142.
    I think the original quote before it was screwed up by reporters who don't know crap about climbing was that for every four people who summit Everest one person dies. And the facts you posted prove that quote was correct give or take a few deaths....

FWIW: K2 which is the second highest moutain has a death rate slightly worse percentage wise then Everest (246 K2 Summits, 55 Deaths).

Oh well.... look on the bright side..... if you get hungry on the trip up the mountain you can always stop for a bite to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket

But still, what an interesting read. Amazing how preserved the bodies are, but given the extreme cold environment and lack of oxygen, I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

If you have any info about the amount of trash up there, I cant find any good info on that. It's got to be a crapload of empty oxygen tanks, power bar wrappers, and human excrement wonderland.
    'Super Sherpa' climbs to clean up Everest
    May 31, 2008

KATHMANDU (AFP)
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Four more deaths on everest recently, but records are being broken.

(KATMANDU, Nepal) — A wave of climbers has headed for the summit of Mount Everest, and several people have already made it in what is expected to another busy weekend on the top of the world.

Last weekend, four climbers died on their way down from the summit amid a traffic jam of more than 200 people scrambling to conquer the world's highest peak as the weather worsened. A similar crowd is expected this weekend, but there have been no reports of climbers in trouble and the weather is good.

Several climbers reached the 8,850-meter (29,035-foot) summit Friday morning, said Mohan Krishna Sapkota, an official with Nepal's Tourism Ministry.

"This is the last chance for climbers to attempt to reach the summit. If they can't, then there is not going to be another opportunity this season," Sapkota said, adding that more than 150 people were planning to climb to the summit this weekend.

Several climbers began their trek from the last camp at the South Col, located at 8,000 meters (26,240 feet), on Thursday night and climbed all night, reaching the summit in the morning.

The deaths last weekend raised concerns about overcrowding above the highest trail on the mountain. The area above the South Col is nicknamed the "death zone" because of the steep, icy slope, treacherous conditions and low oxygen level.

Officials said that last weekend, climbers were heading to the summit as late as 2:30 p.m., even though 11 a.m. is the latest start time recommended. That meant climbers were staying too long at high altitudes and exhausting their oxygen supplies because they didn't anticipate having to wait.

More than 3,000 people have climbed Everest since Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay became the first to do so in 1953. Some 225 climbers have died attempting it.

The deadliest day was May 10, 1996, when eight people were killed. The main reason was said to be that climbers who started their ascent late in the day were caught in a snowstorm in the afternoon and lost their way.

The climbing season normally runs from late March to the first week in June, but this year the season's first clear conditions were only last weekend.

I've never been a peakbager. I'd rather hike around the base of that mountain than climb it. Also, it's just too risky...you're brain and lungs might blow up and worst of all, you may die because of two dudes in front of you that can't get out of the way. I want to be the master of my own destiny, not determined by that guy that's ahead of me. A 20% chance of death? Forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for finding those facts or me.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5