Thread: I rolled my ATV and totaled it...

I rolled my ATV and totaled it...

I'll just post the short short version here--only a few photos and the video. If you'd like to read about it in-depth, you can check out the entry in my blog here.

This is the cliff that the ATV fell down:

This is exactly how the ATV landed:

Damage to the left-rear:

This shows the first ledge that the ATV hit before falling down another cliff:

View of the ATV from where it went airborne:

The hill I was trying to climb up:

This view shows the ATV in the bottom of the canyon where it came to rest, and the cliff which it tumbled off of on the right side of the photo:

We brought my wife's ATV to help pull my mangled machine out of the canyon:

The wrecked ATV finally out of the canyon and loaded up to go home:

View of the rear after getting it home. The rear axle wasn't visibly damaged, but I jacked the rear end up and spun the tires, and the left axle shaft wobbled.

Bent left-rear rim, inside:

Damage, left-rear:

Damage, right-rear:
    Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That sucks, I'll assume you didn't ride it out.

I'm thinking a RZR is in your future.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Re: I rolled my ATV and totaled it...

Glad you are ok, that hill looked slippery. Hope you & your wife can get another 4 wheeler soon, nice vid' work too

Props to the wife for keeping the camera on the action.

James

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I know EXACTLY where that hill is, I took my pickup towing a small offroad trailer through there about this time last year, a definite workout. I had to use my winch attached to a vehicle above us to pull up that loose section with the ledges. Sorry to see that happen. We were camping just south of the Moore Cutoff Friday night and Saturday morning, wish we could have been there to help out.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Glad you didn't go over the cliff with the machine.

I've had many close calls just like that where it's rolled, but I was able to (luck was with me) stop the machine from going over the edge.

Didn't you just get this machine back from service recently?

Hopefully it's just body damage and nothing mechanical or frame related.

Bogley BigShot
    Very glad you are okay!!!

That was an intense video. Your poor wife. I feel so bad for her when she started crying. I thought you were going to slide down the mountain with the ATV. Glad everyone is OK. Sucks about the ATV though. I would have thought that there would be more damage than that. It looks like a pretty good fall.

You don't have full cov on your ATV do you?
    The man thong is wrong.

Good job in getting off that thing, great job on the wifey keeping that camera rolling Sorry that quad took that nasty header

Those damn short wheelbases

Holy sh*t man. Glad your okay. I cant believe you kept filming, although I bet your glad your did now.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    Didn't you just get this machine back from service recently?.
    Yes, I've only ridden it a couple of times since I got it back after being in the shop for three weeks. In a way I'm glad it got totaled out, because if it takes the Honda dealer down here three weeks to replace a simple oil seal on the front differential, it would have taken them years to rebuild my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    You don't have full cov on your ATV do you?
    I did have full coverage on it, and the insurance company already totaled it out and is going to pay my credit union the full amount of the high NADA book value. Unfortunately I owe a little more than it's worth, so I'm stuck paying the balance of the loan. :(

If all goes well, however, I hope to have a new machine next week, or maybe the week after (depending on whether I get another Rancher or opt for something else).
    Blog | FB

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    If all goes well, however, I hope to have a new machine next week, or maybe the week after (depending on whether I get another Rancher or opt for something else).
    Go for the 2009 750i BruteForce or the new Polaris 850 XP! You won't regret either.

A bit more expensive than another Rancher, but you'll have speed, pulling power, IRS, Diff-lock and some ability to get through almost any amount of snow.

Oh Man. It sucks your machine is wrecked but what a sweet video
    Thanks for the post

Holy shit. Glad you're ok man. You know you're going to give your wife a heart attack right? Intense.

Wow! Glad you successfully ejected. Any I agree with Wads, your wife did some amazing camera work.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Glad you are ok!
    Chere'

cliff jumping

Oh that really sucks. Good you weren't still on it. If that was my machine, I'd be the one crying not my wife.

That was rough. Only good thing about it was it landed on it's wheels ready for towing. I'm just saying.

what? no camera angle from the bottom? i bet that would have been a sight to be down in the bottom and see that thing coming over the cliff