Thread: Energy Replacement/Supplements

Energy Replacement/Supplements

So...even though this is the General Discussion thread my post is actually outdoor related! well sorta

Just curious to see what others use/don't use/swear by/hate etc regarding energy replacement and/or supplement during your outdoors experiences.

With the craze of energy drinks on the market, 5 Hour Energy boosters, Power Bars/Cliff Bars, etc I wonder how many people use them and who doesn't and why. Is this stuff really any better (in your opinion) than water and GORP?

For those interested in Power Bars, I just bought a bunch on sale for a buck and they have some freaking good flavors out now. I haven't had a PB for a few years, but man they've got some awesome flavors out now.
    http://www.powerbar.com/products/finder.aspx
    Leave No Trace

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have never liked the idea of energy drinks. Eat better and get the energy your body wants. Whole grains, etc. So I like the Cliff bars. I do take hard candy for a little boost and it keeps my mouth busy.
    I recently tried Cliff Nectar. They are like dried fruit bars. I liked them, they taste kindof like fruit leather.

I don't seem to get a boost from caffeine for some reason, mabey I have ADD. I have to admit on one energy drink that I love. It is called Rumba. It tastes like orange juice but has a bunch of crap in it. So I just buy orange juice instead.

I have been on a no caffeine/carbonation kick for a while. I find that most places offer an alternative. Diet lemonade has become my favorite "pop". Although sometimes I drink fruit punch, which is really diabetes in a liquid form, but it is so good. Sorry about the tangent.
    The man thong is wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    water for me

I'll pack my favorite(s) cliff bar(s) for an energy snack. Also pack a lunch if I'll be out during lunch time.

For bars I use probars, which are made local here. Recovery powders/electrolyte replacements I use cliff or gu powder. Then I will throw in some shot bloks from cliff. I also make my own mix with the product from nutty guys.

All of which offer pro deals, helping with the inflated costs.

The energy drinks are OK, they just make you crash hardcore afterwards.

My suggestion, do the sugar free ones. You get all the vitamins & caffeine as the original, but you don't have all the carbs that take you for a loop.

So then people step back from that and talk about energy from carbs, but they never think about the divebomb they take you on afterwards.

Fat is the original energy source. It's what your carbs & unused energy end up as anyways.

When you see somebody drinking an energy drink in their cubicle, that's when you know they've got issues.

But since you asked.... I like the sugar free Rockstar, and also Amp

When I hike, I just like good old fashioned water and a Cliff Bar. Occasionally I'll take almonds, sliced apples and a cheese stick if it's more than a few hour hike. Keeps me going.

I did try that "Goo" on a hut trip and that did give me the energy for that last hill but it tasted like ass. Or really, really strong cake batter in a squirt packet.

Energy drinks remind me of a REALLY BAD night doing Jager Bombs......after that, I can't even smell an energy drink without visions of praying to the porcelain goddess.

water and a king size snickers for me.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I think we're pretty much all in the same spot on this. I saw this question posed on another climbing forum and couldn't believe how many people talked about packing Rockstars. And, using Beech's logic of the mega-crash that follows those things, a few talked about carrying multiple ones so they could avoid the crash.

I couldn't imagine packing water, plus an 8, 16 or 24 oz aluminum can of sugar (or 3)!
    Here's the other thread if you're interested: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42433
    Leave No Trace

Here's an energy food-detailed account of a rim to rim to rim adventure:

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/fe...m-to-rim.shtml

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Water and some trail mix does the trick for me. On exceptionally cold hikes, snowshoeing or trail riding, I'll bring along my backpack stove and a can of soup.

Having survived graveyards for the last 14 years I have had my share of energy drinks. When I feel the need for a Sobe Adrenaline Rush, Rockstar or AMPed I go sugar free but since I have had to drastically kick back the carbonation I have gone to the powder drink mixes( I don't bonk as fast or hard). ZipFizz is my powder of choice, uses stuff like guarana seed extract, taurine, ginseng, gingerroot and a host of vitamins(read: massive amounts of b-vitamin complex). Cheaper at Costco than on the website...about $25 to $27 a 30 pack box. Mixes with 16 to 20 oz. of water(they all do). Also, look down the drink aisle next to the Crystal Light and find the 'morning boost' powder mixes or 'Deton8'...Smiths has them.
    Really....I use 'em all.
    http://www.zipfizz.com/

First Endurance, which is a Salt Lake based company has some amazing stuff. The EFS drink mix is heavy into electrolytes and prevents cramping better then anything else I have used. They have a bar that is similar composition but is more for lower intensity, longer duration dosage. they have a recovery drink called Ultragen which is $$$ but is amazing. I have used as intended and as a end of ride booster and it makes an amazing difference. If you take a dose in the last quarter of your ride/run it allows you to finish very strong.

I start most days with a little caffeine, typically two cups fresh ground Central American or South American beans. After that, I avoid it. Last time I checked into its effects on exercise physiology, it supposedly helped the body burn fatty acids more effectively early on and preserve glycogen until later. Like others, I do not like the crash or the diuretic effects or the headaches that result when I consume too much and then have to go without. If I really feel like urinating all day long, I'll stick to beer.

Once I get out the door and started on the epic rides, hikes, and winter outings, I'll drink one bottle of something like Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem and that's almost always the last high $$$ supplement consumed throughout the day. The calcium and other nutrients in them really helps to buffer the lactic acid buildup produced during those occasional bursts of anaerobic effort. It's also early and I don't really need to be something that's predominantly water for hydration until after I've warmed up.

After that it's water while I'm moving and plain old Gatorade mixed on the weak side when I'm stopped. The big cans of powdered Gatorade drink mix are dirt cheap, about 20% of premixed, and they've got the basic sodium, potassium, and sugar combo. Drinking it while pedaling leads to gummed up cable guides though. I also hate to dribble a little here and there while hiking or fill the Camelbak with it.

When hiking or snowshoeing, it's homemade GORP with M&M's and sometimes a Clif Bar. On the bike and skiing, I'm still searching. Clif bars aren't the easiest to choke down without occupying both hands with something to drink. Clif Blocks are like eating wax. The Nectar bars work better. Red Licorice works pretty well but like Gatorade, it lacks nutritional value. We'll see if I find anything that works for me this season.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...