Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HITR - January 09

HITR - January 09

This turned in to one of those last minute trips thrown together. Nobody wanted to go in January because of the cold. The weather called for highs around 50, so we decided to give it a go. Two Rhino's and 4 dirt bikes. Our destination was the Hole in the Rock trail in southeast utah. I have done the trail a few times, but never with a vehicle with four wheels. The Rhino's did not disappoint. For those who have experienced the trail, it is not for beginners. There are some serious obstacles to go over. The trail takes you down to either the Rincon or cottonwood canyon directly across from the actual Hole-in-the-Rock. We headed out about 7 pm on Friday night with the plan to do a down and back in one day. Ideally, the HITR should be an overnight adventure to give you enough time to scout around the place. After a stop at Wally world in Price for some snacks, we continued south. At 2:00 am we rolled into the trailhead with temps around 30 degrees is all. We unloaded the trailer and then set up camp inside with a space heater. We didn't get started until 9 the next morning because it was cold. By ten or so it started to warm up and since you rarely get out of 2nd gear, the wind chill wasn't much of a factor. The trail itself takes 3 hours to get to the Rincon and 3.5 to get to Cottonwood canyon. We opted to forego cottonwood and try the Rincon as I have never been down there. All I can say is it was a hellava trail down there. After stopping at the lake for an hour and watching some of the guys go for a dip in the 40 degree water, we headed back to beat the daylight. Didn't make it and wow it got cold when the sun went down. Anyhow, epic trip and looking forward to another one in the spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images                           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Looks great Reedus, That and several others in the area are on my must do soon list.

Gotta get me a SideXSide

Great pics, a neat trail with a ton of history to boot.

FWIW the Rincon Trail is NOT open to motorized travel. I know its not signed at the top, but the National Park Service can, has and will issue citations if they catch you at the bottom of the route as it doesn't appear on their motorized travel plan. I've been in contact with their Rec Planner (Brian) of the Glen Canyon NRA, he was going to look into the issue further. Basically despite the fact the Rincon Route predated the Glen Canyon NRA, they have ever considered it a route. We had actually discussed taking him down there to actually get him on the trail (very few Park employees have been in there). Prior to my first Rincon run in 06' I called several different offices as well as asked while we were in the area, each time receiving a different answer. I got a no, a yes and a do what ever the signs in the area tell you. I've since followed up with the situation and verified they have never included it on their travel plan.

PS. We ran the Hole in the Rock Road this last weekend (opposite side of lake) and also took a swim, 48*... damn cold!

I had heard that it was closed to motorized use and that it was posted as such at the top. We came across no signs whatsoever and considering it was January, I didn't suspect that we would run into rangers on the lake or trail. Had it been posted, I probably would have chickened out, but we had the excuse in our back pocket that it was not posted. Any idea when they might come to a resolution to open it? Somebody put ALOT of effort to build that route of Wilson's mesa into the Rincon. It would be a shame to let it go to waste.

P.S - any idea on the "chute" route that takes you into cottonwood canyon? At what point is that trail closed to motorized vehicles? Is it legal to go to the waters edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    ...P.S - any idea on the "chute" route that takes you into cottonwood canyon? At what point is that trail closed to motorized vehicles? Is it legal to go to the waters edge?
    No, it used to though. I have an old book that talks about a pile of old timers taking their Willy's Jeeps to the edge of the river (pre Powell). It is now closed and heavily signed ~2 miles from the lake, ~1 mile from the Chute. The intersection at the Rincon TH has been signed in the past, they seem to disappear. I'll make my soapbox speech short, its the users responsibility to check the current trail legalities before they head out.

Fair enough. Last question: Where does one go to find out what trails are designated open and what trails are "closed"?

Fair enough. Last question: Where does one go to find out what trails are designated open and what trails are "closed"?
    Great question.

Start by doing a quick search on the web for the area you will be heading to and the land manager in charge. If that doesn't produce any results, call the land manager in charge of the area you will be in. Often they will send you all the maps and publications you need, or will offer to email maps, etc or point you to them on their site.

The BLM districts in So. Utah have recently gone through major RMP revisions and their maps are still in the works, I'd expect to start seeing their new travel management plans in the coming months.

For Glen Canyon:
    http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps...reation%20Area

Ahhh my favorite part of the country. That brings back great memories of a bunch of us scouts hanging out of old jeeps on that trail. Man I need to get the dirtbikes out soon
    Thanks for the post!

I know its not signed at the top, but the National Park Service can, has and will issue citations if they catch you at the bottom of the route as it doesn't appear on their motorized travel plan.
    Isn't it also true that with the exception of the small area near Wahweap that all vehicles on the routes within Glen Canyon National Recreation Area must be licensed highway vehicles? Even if the route were open (it has actually been officially closed for many years) I believe such vehicles as pictured are never legally permitted anywhere in the GCNRA other than the small area near Wahweap at the UT/AZ border.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    ...Isn't it also true that with the exception of the small area near Wahweap that all vehicles on the routes within Glen Canyon National Recreation Area must be licensed highway vehicles? Even if the route were open (it has actually been officially closed for many years) I believe such vehicles as pictured are never legally permitted anywhere in the GCNRA other than the small area near Wahweap at the UT/AZ border.
    I was under the same impression Scott, but too be honest I couldn't find anything on the website to indicate one way or the other. I've spent time on both sides of HITR as well as the Blue Notch side of Lake Powell, I can't say I've seen any restrictions as such on motor vehicles?

Scott brings up a great point, in addition to verifying a route is open, make sure its open to your type of travel. Many routes and areas do not allow non street-legal vehicles (Timpanooke, Elephant Hill, Maze, White Rim to name a few)

I was under the same impression Scott, but too be honest I couldn't find anything on the website to indicate one way or the other
    ExpUt, here is the link directly from the NPS website if interested:

http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/advisories.htm

Off Road Vehicle Use

Vehicles and bicycles are not permitted off -road at any location in the park, except for the designated ORV area at Lone Rock Beach. All vehicles must be licensed and street legal.

The more trip reports I post on here, the more I discover what a rebellious bastard I am. Shame on my ass for breaking the law.

The more trip reports I post on here, the more I discover what a rebellious bastard I am. Shame on my ass for breaking the law.
    Ahhh hell. Your on the up and up man. This compared to blowing up old trailers...child's play.

I think it's time to blow something else up, it's a new year

Maybe I could stir two hornets nests with the next one: 5 gallon bucket o' tanny + delicate arch??? One for the anti- blow-up-shit crowd, and one for the environmental, don't tread on cryptoorgasmic soil crowd.

Gotta weigh the cost first:
    Cost of bucket o' tanny = $80
    Gas to get to Delicate arch = $20
    Park entrance fee = $20
    Losing my virginity to "bubba" at point of the mountain state pen = NOT QUITE WORTH IT

There are always abandoned cars that need a fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    I was under the same impression Scott, but too be honest I couldn't find anything on the website to indicate one way or the other
    ExpUt, here is the link directly from the NPS website if interested:

http://www.nps.gov/glca/parknews/advisories.htm

Off Road Vehicle Use

Vehicles and bicycles are not permitted off -road at any location in the park, except for the designated ORV area at Lone Rock Beach. All vehicles must be licensed and street legal.
    Boy this is interesting. I know of lots and lots of people who have gone in their on dirt bikes. I doubt any of them have even thought of this. In fact I am going with a group from boise in march to hole in the rock and most of the bikes will not be street legal. New I shouldn't read posts on bogley. I am suprised there isn't a sign at the trail head. There is one over by hobie cat beach.

Lots of people??? Try EVERYONE who does the HITR trail on an OHV does not have street legal tags. The place is so damned remote that you are highly unlikely to encounter any NPS ranger. They sure as hell don't patrol the trail itself and any encounter with any enforcement officer would be from a boat on the lake, in which case they don't have the means to come after you. And for those who say you can't outrun the radios, there is nobody to friggin call. The closet town is probably Blanding which is 60+ miles away. The logistics for enforcing whether or not someone has proper registration on their bike or whether they should or shouldn't be down on the Rincon with them is not feasible. I for one will continue to ride my unlicensed steel horse on the HITR down to the Rincon. If a NPS ranger stops me, it is "sorry man, ya gotta post it if you don't want people down there." And if by chance they do post it, I am still going down there and I will wipe my ass with the ticket. That pretty much somes up how I feel about the dickweeds who think they can just close down a road that existed LONG before Lake Powell was a pipe dream