Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Trailer

Star Trek Trailer

Has anyone else seen the new Star Trek trailer? Wow, gave me chills and I wouldn't consider myself a trekkie (but I do like it)!

Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've only ever been an Next Gen fan (and a pretty serious one). This looks good, though. My wife and son are looking forward to it, for sure!

OMG OMG OMG!

May is soo far away though. *sigh*
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    OMG OMG OMG!

May is soo far away though. *sigh*
    Wow, I thought I was geek.

I am excited to take my son to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Don

I make my wife wear green paint and call me "commander" in bed. you aint got nuthin on me bro.

I make my wife wear green paint and call me "commander" in bed. you aint got nuthin on me bro.

I'm NOT going to embed it, but Google "eddie murphy star trek" and click on the YouTube link. I think we all know this one...

You gotta work for it, this being the General Discussion page.

Really rather NSFW.

Hehehe! Too funny cirrus.

Back on topic. Don't get me wrong I'm really really excited about this. But did anyone else get a little pissed on the scene where kirk is riding his motorcycle up to the enterprise being constructed? ON THE GROUND! WTF? I mean everyone knows that when your building a spaceship, you build it on a space station in zero gravity. I hope he wasn't trading factual detail for a good camera shot.

I hope he wasn't trading factual detail for a good camera shot.

Hehe! ok ok bad choice of words. Factual according to the source material. Kinda the same thing as making Darth Vader a black man. maybe someone who didn't see the shot where he took his helmet off would assume based on the voice. Maybe not the same analogy, but you can at elast see where I'm coming from. Why the heck am I even arguing? LOL.

http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/San_F...co_Fleet_Yards
    San Francisco Fleet Yards
    Memory Beta, the wiki for licensed Star Trek content.
    Jump to: navigation, search

The San Francisco Fleet Yards (also known as the San Francisco Naval Yards or San Francisco Yards) was a shipyards located in orbit of Earth, and is operated by shore offices located in San Francisco. As well as containing several drydocks, there is also an orbital office complex that acts as a nexus for the yards. (TOS movie: Star Trek: The Motion Picture).

Among the Starfleet vessels to be constructed at the yards were the USS Constitution (NCC-1700), USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), USS Eagle (NCC-956), USS Excelsior (NCC-2000), USS Sutherland (NCC-72015), and the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E).

During the construction of the Enterprise-E in the 2360s and early 2370s, Sean Hawk served at the Yards. (TNG eBook: A Sea of Troubles)

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    How exciting! Guess what I am going to go see for my birthday. I will have to make it an early celabration cuz I don't think I can wait an extra weekend.
    Chere'

youtube?

there are infinitely better trailers on apple's quicktime trailers site ... take a look at the 1080p

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Hehehe! Too funny cirrus.

Back on topic. Don't get me wrong I'm really really excited about this. But did anyone else get a little pissed on the scene where kirk is riding his motorcycle up to the enterprise being constructed? ON THE GROUND! WTF? I mean everyone knows that when your building a spaceship, you build it on a space station in zero gravity. I hope he wasn't trading factual detail for a good camera shot.
    Why?? They don't build the space shuttles in space.
    Chere'

Oh fellow nerd talk, woohoo!

*I'm not a rocket scientist, so feel free to correct my data anytime. *

There are infinite advantages to building a spacecraft in space. For one, it's a sterile environment. There is no water vapor or sediment to introduce impurities into high end parts needed for intersteller travel. For 2, zero gravity is one of the only ways to form a "perfect" sphere. For 3, building on earth is limited by gravity. The bigger the structure is, the harder it will be to support and manage. Think about building a big ocean craft and the amount of effort required. In space, gravity is not a factor and large structures like a starship could be managed with little effort. Minimal attachment to the space station, a chain to keep it from floating away and you're good. For 4, the cost savings and energy savings to be had from manufacturing in space are enormous. Imagine the space shuttle not having to break orbit? The engines could be a lot smaller and more efficient not having to operate in an atmosphere. Also, traditional engines that function in space might not work like our crude rockets we put on the space shuttles of today. Solar sails, warp engines, ion propulsion, etc. So to advance to the next "level" we would either have to put 2 engines on our ship, one to leave the earth and another to travel in space. Or we could start in space and leave it in space. take cochrans first ship, it had a rocket on the back then dislodged in space and the warp cores opened from the side. This is clearly not the enterprise model, but something like that could be achieved with a different design.

There are disadvantages of course, keeping astronauts alive and safe, transporting raw materials, zero water for quenching tempered materials like steel. Etc. They are trying to figure out a "space elevator" though to solve some of these problems. The main disadvantage would be the initial cost of building such a space station in the first place. Insanely huge. But we could just borrow another 200 trillion from China and be able to afford it, no problem.

I just peeked and there is a wiki on space manufacturing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_manufacturing
    and here is one on the space elevator
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

And then of course we have the data (I posted before) that the enterprise WAS constructed by the San Francisco fleet yards orbiting in space from the original movie. It's such a weird thing to change in my mind for a simple "camera shot". Why? It doesn't make sense. But then again, I was leery when they changed the batmobile when they rebooted batman, but I was super happy with his new rig and it made so much more sense than the original vehicle. After I saw the movie. Perhaps this is will make sense as well.

Forget about a space elevator. The big ST technological advantage to building in space; all transportation of personnel and material could be done pretty cheap via teleportation.

Oh Death keep talking... that was hot!

All of it made perfect sense. Never gave it much thought.

Thanks for such a lovely explanation... when I have more time I will have to explore the websites you posted.
    Chere'

Forget about a space elevator. The big ST technological advantage to building in space; all transportation of personnel and material could be done pretty cheap via teleportation.
    I was watching on discovery channel and the scientist they have on there (all the time) guaranteed that we would have transporter technology in the next 100 years. I tried looking for a youtube of it, but no luck sorry. There was also a pretty interesting article about a couple scientists who figured out hwo to do it. Pretty good read here http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=12408

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    Oh Death keep talking... that was hot!

All of it made perfect sense. Never gave it much thought.

Thanks for such a lovely explanation... when I have more time I will have to explore the websites you posted.
    How the heck are you not taken? Gorgeous, perfect personality, intelligent, loves sushi, mtn biking, kids, skiing, and star trek. Can a women be more perfect than that? Seriously! *drool*

Death you are a too sweet!

However I am in the wrong state. The ideal around here is Molly Mormon and that women I am NOT! (please no one take offense to that) I did try for 10 years and failed. I think having my kids 24/7 scares most guys off.

You see the one thing I secretly long for..... from ST.... is the Replicator. I would kiss the man (or women) who invented it. They would have my undying devotion. To be able to walk into the kitchen and say "6 oz Porterhouse steak medium-rare, garlic roasted asperagus spears, buttered roll and to drink margartia on the rocks." That would make my life so much more enjoyable.

Back to the spacship.... It would make a hell of a lot more sense to finacially to construct a ship in space with a transporter then a space elevator.

Don - love the new avatar!

Do you know what they call the new IHC hospital well more specifically the lab on 5300 S? The Death Star. They are taking over the world one lab at a time.
    Chere'

Looks cool