Thread: TECH: DVD Decoders?

TECH: DVD Decoders?

I picked up a DVD burner for the wife's computer but now I need a DVD decoder. I'd pay the $14.95 that most want, but I know someone on here has a better idea for me.

Help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DVDFab
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

The free version does most things you will want to do.....

The other program you will need to steal movies.... err.... I mean make back up copies is.....

DVD Shrink
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

I liked DVDFab so much that I finally bought their complete program.

Same arena, slightly different topic...

I want to extract QuickTime movies from my own DVDs so I can edit my home movies. Mac OS X 10.5.6.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

I want to extract QuickTime movies from my own DVDs so I can edit my home movies. Mac OS X 10.5.6.

-R
    Richard,

If you burned them as DVDs, ala "Movie style" they are not in Quicktime anymore and you will need a DVD ripper like mentioned above.

If they are in Quicktime format and you simply burned files to backup DVDs all you need to do is copy the file from the DVD to the HD.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    DVDFab
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

The free version does most things you will want to do.....
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron

-R
    Richard,

If you burned them as DVDs, ala "Movie style" they are not in Quicktime anymore and you will need a DVD ripper like mentioned above.

If they are in Quicktime format and you simply burned files to backup DVDs all you need to do is copy the file from the DVD to the HD.
    Exactly; can you point me to a decent DVD ripper so I can extract my own DVD movies to QuickTime? Here's the layout: I ripped a bunch of my old VHS home movies to DVD using my VHS/DVD dubbing deck, and now I'd like to play around with them, edit them, maybe post them on my blog.

Richard,

My MAC will deal with AVI files. You might just need a codec.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

And I will highly recommend this software for DVD decoding and ripping. They even have mobile and game versions. In addition, you can also use another component to rip your HD and/or Blu-Ray movies if you have a burner or if you just want to have copies for your mobile device.

And I also bought their complete package.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

http://www.dvd43.com/

DVD43 is a free DVD decrypter that runs in the background and decrypts DVDs on the fly. This website gives you some basic information, like what it does, how to use it, and where to download it. If your copy program needs a decrypter, you can use DVD43. It's free, so you won't need to waste money on a decrypter. This website does not host the DVD43 setup file and is not affiliated with the authors of DVD43, but it does provide safe links to the program.

This will work in conjunction with any of the programs listed above. I use the same ones as Iceaxe. The shrinking is essential to fit it all on a disk. Just drop the subtitles and foreign languages and you'll be fine (usually).
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I am still looking for some software to extract full-quality AVIs from my personal DVDs, for my Mac. I tried Handbrake, but it takes too long and the quality is low. An ideas? -R

DVD Shrink (for free)

AnyDVD (Paid)

Mac compatible though? I don't think hardly anything works for them.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Did some searching on VersionTracker, and found a piece of Mac software that will do the job, but it's $80...

http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookS...DVDxDV.try.htm

Still hoping for a freeware option.

Mactheripper

www.mactheripper.org

As long as we're talking freeware, can anyone recommend a free word processing software?
    Something that will work with MS Word files? I just bought a laptop with Vista and don't want to buy MS Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    As long as we're talking freeware, can anyone recommend a free word processing software?
    Something that will work with MS Word files? I just bought a laptop with Vista and don't want to buy MS Word.
    www.openoffice.org

The #1 free office software.

You can set the defaults to save the text docs as .doc and spreadsheets as .xls