Thread: Climbing Black Rocks in St. George

Climbing Black Rocks in St. George

With no storms forecasted for at least a week up north, we decided to head to warmer temps down in St. George. The forecast said high of 53 but the thermometer in the truck got up to 59. We climbed the sunny side of black rocks, a perfect winter spot! The routes are really short, but there are a lot of them so there is plenty to do. We were in T-shirts all day (got there around 10) even when belaying. I think I am hooked, any time the snow stops up north I'll be itching to head down south for some climbing. Here are a few pics, more on my blog:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh, words cannot express my jealousy right now.

Of course those same rocks would probably melt your hands in the summer...

The first climb I did after my mission was there. My wife and I are going to be in St. George end of the month. Maybe it's time for another little climb.

If you enjoy the Basalt at Black Rocks, you might really enjoy Crawdad Canyon as well! Maybe you already have? The privately owned park is north about 16 miles past Black Rocks and perfect, however higher elevation and might have snow right now? Todd Goss, Choli Ence and I formed a coalition several years ago (Southern Utah Climbers Coalition, "SUCC") as a non-profit organization in order to lease the basalt walls at Veyo Pool so that they might remain open to climbing. As a member of SUCC ($30 individual, $45 Couple, $60 Family Fees Annual) you can climb for $2.50 a head. As non annual member it is $8 off season, $6 in season as a daily member. The $ are turned around to Veyo Pool Inc. in order to help the pool, restaurant and grounds to remain profitable and open. There are about 200 climbs in the gorge ranging from 10 meters to maybe 20 meters. Ranges from 5.0- 5-13. Rock quality is really excellent. No top-rope access, just lead climbing. No trad allowed. No pets allowed either. Camp sites in summer when the pool opens. Volleyball court, hiking, crawdad fiddling in the stream etc. During off season (winter) sign up for the key to access the gorge at Hurst Ace Hardwear Outdoor Sports and hopefully soon "The Desert Rat" in same complex.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Man I've got to get back into climbing.

So Bo, I took your advice and checked out Crawdad the other day. It's pretty much a sport climbers dream! Did a climb called Monkey Business on the Rubicon wall, super fun, one of my new favorites! I'll be back for sure.

How was the heat? I've been looking for something a little more shady layely.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Heat wasn't bad at all. There is always a wall in the shade plus we took a break every hour or so to soak in the stream (luckily no crawdads tried to eat us). Climb in your swimming suit and bring a towel so you can walk the 20 feet to the creek whenever you feel like it. Plus it's 4 or 5 degrees cooler than St. George. The owner dude told us to swim in the creek all we want.