Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Hog 2009 - Feb 7th

Frozen Hog 2009 - Feb 7th

I really hope I can make it this year for the first time.

Saturday Feb 7th, Lambert Park in Alpine Utah.
    Registration is $25

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/rides/hog-race.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, this looks like a lot of fun. I was going to do it this year also but with my lungs feeling so funky lately I'm not too sure.

Last Child, if you do it, I'll join ya there. I think I'm going to anyway, but I'm in awful shape for racing at the moment (dang lazy winter time). I've done this one twice before and it's a good time. I would recommend it to anyone even mildly interested. Studded tires are a big help on this one.

Okay. Cool. I will let you know. If I go do you want a ride down?

I so desperately need to get out and do some riding so I can loose some of these 10 pounds of lard I have put on since September. Me is getting fat again and I doesn't like it.

Sweet. I'll talk to my wife and see if she wants to go or not (she hasn't been yet and I don't see why she would this time). If she doesn't and I'm still able to go, I'll take you up on the ride down.

I'd like to see 'beech down there too. Come on man, don't be a slacker.

Don't forget to purchase some raffle tickets- sweet prizes for a good cause!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Don't forget to purchase some raffle tickets- sweet prizes for a good cause!
    Hey man, how's your boy doing?

I won't be racing this one this time...the arm's not ready for that, but someone can take picks and post them here for all the rest to see

I've only ridden that trail once a couple of summers ago.... I seem to remember a lot of climbing (or maybe it felt that way because it was so freakin' HOT)... seems that would be particularly difficult in the snow (or mud)... What's the course feel like? I might race it...
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I seem to remember a lot of climbing
    Well SCREW THAT!

Me & climbing don't mix. I still plan on doing this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I seem to remember a lot of climbing
    Well SCREW THAT!

Me & climbing don't mix. I still plan on doing this though.
    I REALLY was planning on a repeat performance of this race - I enjoyed it - was planning it until my accident. Unfortunately, the ulna is not healing nearly as rapidly as the doctor would like so I'm not gonna chance it. If the course is anything like last years the 'climbing' was'nt all that bad really...course I had studded tires so I didnt really loose traction much - or fall - but yes there is some climbing ( YA WIMP )
    'Beech, you really need to race this just say you got it under your belt. It's fun in a sadistic sort of way

There was a winter race series in MI when I lived there - did a couple of them, it was fun... Maybe I'll see ya out there!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

There was a winter race series in MI when I lived there - did a couple of them, it was fun... Maybe I'll see ya out there!
    We have one of those here too. We call it cyclocross. Just kidding. Seriously though, the frozen hog is a fun race and like Tallsteve said, the raffle is for a great cause this year and they should have some killer prizes.

I ride Lambert Park a bunch in the early spring but it does get too hot during the summer. Besides there are better places to ride close by like AF Canyon after the snow is gone. There is climbing but nothing too steep and most are relatively short.
    My son is doing as well as can be expected at this point. He entered the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at LDS Hospital this past Tues. and will be there for about a month. He's receiving 2 rounds of high-dose chemo each day until Monday. Tuesday he will receive the transplant. My wife and I are exhausted but getting through. Thanks for everyone's concern!
    Are we there yet?

Tallsteve, I'm happy to hear that you're hanging in there. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your son. Stay strong man.

Ditto. It's been a long hard road for you all.

How necessary are studded tires for Frozen Hog? I would ride without because I dont have any, nor the time to make any...

The majority of riders WON'T have studs so don't let that keep you from participating. This race is geared more for having fun than say the ICUP races during the summer although you will have some that will want to win. For most though it's just a chance to stretch the winter legs, enjoy some occasional crazy riding, and have fun with your fellow lovers of the bike.
    Be sure to come say "Hi" to me if I don't recognize you in your winter gear. I'll be helping with registration and officiating.
    Are we there yet?

Good luck Steve and to your son. Hospitals suck. These kinda things can rip your heart out. Hope to see you on the trails again this spring.

I have done the hog every year but 1 and will do it this year as well. I have seen snow deep enough that it turns into a push-a-thon and other years when I am covered with mud. Whatever it turns out to be it will be like nothing else you do this year. It really comes down to a bragging right, don't worry about winning, don't even worry competing just come and ride for the hell of it.