Thread: The Wave, Wire Pass & Buckskin Gulch - Winter

The Wave, Wire Pass & Buckskin Gulch

The Wave, Wire Pass & Buckskin Gulch

The Wave:
    I got a same-day pass on a Monday for the Wave. In fact, the BLM had only issued eight passes in four days, and three of those were when I arrived at the office in Kanab. On the two separate days I used this trailhead, I saw no advance-booking hikers.

Below: There were some vehicle tracks down the access road from highway 89, but not too recently.

Below: The trail to the Wave is largely across slickrock, with few markers, but even in the snow, a novice like me found no difficulty, especially with the very well prepared trail guidance issued by the BLM.

We've all seen photos of the Wave, but it still caught me unawares. The formations are quite stunning, even in the snow.

Again, I find myself fascinated by the minutiae of the place

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: The Wave, Wire Pass & Buckskin Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L

The Wave:
    I got a same-day pass on a Monday for the Wave. In fact, the BLM had only issued eight passes in four days, and three of those were when I arrived at the office in Kanab. On the two separate days I used this trailhead, I saw no advance-booking hikers.
    Interesting, I always thought walk- in permits were for the next day.
    Absolutely unbelievable that there was no one else beside you. When we checked the road conditions at the BLM office in June, we could see a billboard with all the requests for the 10 permits per day. Sometimes there were 90++ requests for a single day
    That always put me off to do that hike.

But I think winter would be the perfect time for me to do that. I really love winter in the Southwest and especially the Wave looks incredible with the snow.
    Thanks for sharing your pics

You might find this story about Buckskin Gulch in winter to be entertaining.

Buckskin Bites Back
    By: Jud Eades
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskinice.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    You might find this story about Buckskin Gulch in winter to be entertaining.

Fortunately I will be there in June. And icy conditions should be very rare during that time of the year

Re: The Wave, Wire Pass & Buckskin Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by americanhero
    Interesting, I always thought walk- in permits were for the next day.
    The BLM do issue same-day passes if the quota for that day were not issued the day before.

Snow

Very nice pics. More snow than I thought there would be. I have permits for 3 weeks from now. Do I need to rethink my outerwear and footwear? How deep was the snow?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Snow

Quote Originally Posted by raxafarian
    Very nice pics. More snow than I thought there would be. I have permits for 3 weeks from now. Do I need to rethink my outerwear and footwear? How deep was the snow?
    Go with options for differnt types of weather. That includes mud for the hike and car travel. A lot can change within 3 weeks. The area is currently having more of a warm spell compared to all the snow earlier.