Thread: Zion - Winter

Zion - Winter

Zion

I always spend a couple of days in Zion, to experience at least one new hike there. I did post a TR on Bogley a few weeks ago here, of a small hike to a delightful waterfall on Zion's east side.

On top of that, there are so many features in and around Zion that deserve mention. I'm going to immediately stray from some of my earlier comments about coachloads by recalling some common tourist hikes.

Below: The view at dawn from the Hurricane to Springdale road, that always brings to me the anticipation of returning to somewhere I love.

For some reason, I always hike the short distance to Canyon Overlook; the view is stunning, and I never tire of it.

Below: This year, the rather icy path meant I was toute seule for the hour that I pondered all the things I've achieved (or not) since my last visit here two years ago.

Below: Looking at some of the detail, I notice orographic cloud streaming from Bridge Mountain, a new sight for me.

Below: I find myself examining the winter actions that make up the lifespan of icicles, particularly those that mimic stalactites and make the bridge to ground.

I am always fascinated by the human history of places like this. In particular, the construction of the tunnel & switchbacks. Ten years ago I scanned & retyped the text-based version of "From Slickrock to Switchback" by Donald T. Garate and sent it to the ZNHA.

Below: Stepping a few yards away from the Canyon Overlook trail allows you to view the tunnel portals not normally visible except from inside the tunnel or from Pine Creek itself. Bottom centre of the photo is a precarious diagonal trail hewn by the tunnelers for access to the portal from below.

[i]Below: The Kolob Reservoir road was closed at the usual point, and only used by snowmobilers, cross-country skiers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wow, Zion in winter looks amazing.