Thread: TR: 2 weeks hiking in southern Utah, Christmas 2008 (photos)

TR: 2 weeks hiking in southern Utah, Christmas 2008 (photos)

Utah is one of those places in the world where there are new surprises around every corner, in every season and at every visit. It is a geologist's delight, a hiker's dream and a photographer's paradise.

This is my eighth trip to the area, and my fourth in winter. It's a bit of a trek for me, since I live in England and have to enjoy the polite enquiries of the Customs & Border Police for every visit.
    This time I did a lot of pre-departure research, and came forearmed with much information & advice from various books & websites. I had planned to do some off-roading, but some areas were just too snowbound for a little SUV.

I thought I would write a few trip reports, not so much for the more experienced hikers, but for the benefit of other relative newbies who, like me, are looking for some simple but equably pleasurable hikes away from the coachloads of National Park tourists. None of these places are unknown; they are all well-travelled by the knowledgeable, but most are new to me. I hiked quite a few more, but lacking decent photos of the others I thought it best to leave them out.

The Wave, Wire Pass & Buckskin Gulch
    Little Wild Horse & Bell Canyons
    Negro Bill Canyon
    Crack Canyon
    Zion

Rob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So many other canyons to hike & sights to see...I'll think I'll be coming back (again!) to sample the natural wonders in a year or two, when funding allows!

Take care all, and safe hiking.

Rob
    January 2009

Sources used during my research:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/
    http://www.zionnational-park.com
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com
    http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/content.htm
    http://www.utahcanyons.com
    http://www.utahoutdoors.com
    http://climb-utah.com
    http://www.americansouthwest.net
    http://www.slotcanyonexploring.com

plus the usual US NPS, USGS & BLM sites

That is some great stuff, Rob! :D That's one thing I love about winter in Utah--the weather keeps most people away from the backcountry, but honestly it's a great time to be out hiking. I was surprised to see how little snow and ice you encountered in LWH/Bell/Crack canyons. Now looks like the time to be out there.
    Blog | FB

Coolness. You have some really great photos!

Do you mind if I separate these into individual trip reports? It would help others be able to find the information in the future.

Beautiful report. You have me inspired to check out Zion in the winter. Now if I can just talk my wife into it!
    The man thong is wrong.

Very nice stuff. I have seen the CP and sourthern Utah in most weather, but never in that kind of isolating snow. Looks like you had a terrific time. -R

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome Stuff!!!!

My word...thanks for all the quick & courteous replies!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Do you mind if I separate these into individual trip reports?
    Not at all...go ahead as you see fit. I did try to get the spelling right on most places so that a "search" would include my reports. Please let the readers know the info comes from a 45-year old unfit guy who likes the Utah scenery & hospitality, and that the photos are from the snows that affected the whole area at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    how little snow and ice
    Snow?

1/2" in Las Vegas on 18th December caused my flight from London Gatwick to be delayed by 24 hours. Vegas airport couldn't cope. The first time in 40 years that Vegas had snow, how unlucky is that?

When I got into Utah, I bought a proper steel shovel at the nearest hardware store... I had to use it once or twice up on the high lands of Utah (but then I'm not an expert on 4wd recovery from snow drifts. Did I mention that all but 0.5% of England is below 500 feet, so we get little snow of importance?).

I slid off highway 89 between Glendale & Hatch (even the snowploughs had given up), then froze to death in a Panguitch motel. I hit a house the next day in Cannonville (conveniently next to the Post Office...I had to mail some Christmas cards).

A week later, apparently San Juan County police still require the pleasure of my presence at some Station or other in Monticello, because they can't believe that my unintentional drift & side-swipe cleared the snowdrift from the whole of Third Street between Acacia Avenue and Main. The local Church is supposedly quite grateful because although I missed the Crucifix plinth on the verge, the resulting "snow & gravel wash" scoured the graves adjacent to the road, saving the locals the effort of scrubbing the marble epitaphs that week. I guess driving on "the other side of the road" doesn't mean being a Brit I can get away with it, does it?

You are all so lucky to have these stunning places to explore on your doorstep.

All the best,
    Rob

Ha, great stories. I cant believe you hit that snow storm in Vegas. Must have been a big deal for those folks.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L

1/2" in Las Vegas on 18th December caused my flight from London Gatwick to be delayed by 24 hours. Vegas airport couldn't cope. The first time in 40 years that Vegas had snow, how unlucky is that?

When I got into Utah, I bought a proper steel shovel at the nearest hardware store... I had to use it once or twice up on the high lands of Utah (but then I'm not an expert on 4wd recovery from snow drifts. Did I mention that all but 0.5% of England is below 500 feet, so we get little snow of importance?).

I slid off highway 89 between Glendale & Hatch (even the snowploughs had given up), then froze to death in a Panguitch motel. I hit a house the next day in Cannonville (conveniently next to the Post Office...I had to mail some Christmas cards).

A week later, apparently San Juan County police still require the pleasure of my presence at some Station or other in Monticello, because they can't believe that my unintentional drift & side-swipe cleared the snowdrift from the whole of Third Street between Acacia Avenue and Main. The local Church is supposedly quite grateful because although I missed the Crucifix plinth on the verge, the resulting "snow & gravel wash" scoured the graves adjacent to the road, saving the locals the effort of scrubbing the marble epitaphs that week. I guess driving on "the other side of the road" doesn't mean being a Brit I can get away with it, does it?

All the best,
    Rob
    I was on the road during that snow storm, driving from Carson City to Las Vegas and it was horrible. We almost ran out of gas on the way to Vegas because the power was out in those little towns! It was suppose to be 10 inches of snow through the night but woke up and it had all melted.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L

All the best,
    Rob
    I was on the road during that snow storm, driving from Carson City to Las Vegas and it was horrible. We almost ran out of gas on the way to Vegas because the power was out in those little towns! It was suppose to be 10 inches of snow through the night but woke up and it had all melted.

Luckily we were flying back to Buffalo on the 17th without any delays. One more day and we had an extra night in Vegas
    But we could see the snow covered mountains of Red Rock Canyon and Mount Charleston.