Thread: 1st Time at Ouray Ice Climbing Festival

1st Time at Ouray Ice Climbing Festival

Transitioning from one job to another, interim I was asked to help at the Ouray Ice Cilimbing Festival from Jan. 8th til Jan. 11th. What a great opportunity for a paid vacation. Matt and I headed over thursday morning to arrive at 2PM so that we could set up the La Sportiva booth and prepare for handing out demo boots on fri., sat., and sunday. We demo'd the Trango Extreme Light Evo', the Nepal Evo, the Trango Prime, and the Mega Ice Boots! They were a true hit at the Festival. Normally we were out of demo boots by 9AM! It was really fun interacting with true "Ice Climber Buffs" and first timers alike. The atmosphere was electric and high energy. Clinics were arranged as sponsored climbers would meet participants and head to the ice. Slide shows in the evening were a hit. Parties afterwards capped off the nights. Ouray is a beautiful little mountain town and the festival attests to the character of a fun loving hard working community! It snowed (blizzard) all day friday and friday night and left a true winter wonderland for saturdays and sundays events. I personally only had time to participate in one clinic learning about anchoring, and multipitch belay and rappel transition. Highlights for me were the opportunity to converse with sponsored athletes Conrad, Steve and Rafael. On sunday we opened the backside of our booth and watched slackliners giving it their best over the Canyon. The competition was available on a TV near our booth but I slid out and watched a few minutes "Live" as well! I am so thankful to Bret, Kathleen, Laura and Lee for the opportunity and am so pleased that I have been asked back to lend a hand next year! Thank you La Sportiva! Anyway...I didn't have time to take many photos, but here are a few that I had time to take!
    Attached Images Attached Images               

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! Awesome report Bo.

Bogley BigShot
    Nice!

yeah very cool. Where the sponsored guys cool or stuck up?

How does the demo thing work? They just let people try them out for the whole day? Is it free? I have wondered this about skis and other demos and never talked to anyone actually involved.
    The man thong is wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    so Bo did you snag any shoes in my size

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Looks like fun!
    It was a very enjoyable trip! I look forward to participating next year and strapping on boots, crampons, tools and doing some tugging!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Wow! Awesome report Bo.
    Thanks. Hope I get a chance to do a little climbing up around Cedar this year too!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Nice!
    Thanks Tanya! It wasn't Mexico, but it was paradise none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    yeah very cool. Where the sponsored guys cool or stuck up?

How does the demo thing work? They just let people try them out for the whole day? Is it free? I have wondered this about skis and other demos and never talked to anyone actually involved.
    The sponsored guys were totally great! No stuck-upedness whatsoever! Totally down to earth.

As a participant, you would go to the registration booth, show a credit-card and or licence; they would give you a gear card; you would then go to one of the booths, BD, Petzl, Scarpa, Vasque, LA SPORTIVA Etc. etc and check our some boots, crampons and ice tools. You then went on your merry way and hooked up to topropes (or go lead your hearts desire) to try out the stuff! If you get online next year you can sign up for one of many clinics that are offered by generally sponsored climbers and guide services. These clinics generally last 3 hours and cost a fee. I think the fee this year was around $15?. The slide shows in the evenings ran $10. The parties wewr $!0? Here is the website that sums it up for you!
    Bo
    http://www.ourayicefestival.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    so Bo did you snag any shoes in my size
    No, but I got some my size!
    Keep in touch Shaun...when I finally get "The Desert Rat" doors open I'll see what I can do for you my friend!

Looks cool. I've been on those bridges and overlooks but only during the summer. What a beautiful place - summer or winter. Those old miners were tough SOBs.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Looks cool. I've been on those bridges and overlooks but only during the summer. What a beautiful place - summer or winter. Those old miners were tough SOBs.
    Yeah! Ouray is a pretty cool place! I first visited there in about 1970 on vacation during the summer. We camped out for a few nights. My wife and I spent time there in the summer of 1984 as well. We stayed in a hotel that had a hot spring/cave room for a couple nights. We were in heaven! Loved it! Being there in the winter was just as beautiful. I look forward to going again. Looking at the old mines, structures and roads on the mountainsides attests to the ruggedness of those pioneers. We stayed in the Victorian last weekend, and it was just a very short walk up the hillside to the Ice Climbing Park/ Box Canyon. Granted, one can walk the entire town in just a short time!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    nice report Bo, looks like a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    nice report Bo, looks like a great time.
    It was very fun Kurt! Thanks.
    Might have to get up your way and play on the ice this winter.