Thread: Is this company allowed to guide Mystery?

Is this company allowed to guide Mystery?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I thought you couldn't guide in the park? Looks like they have Icebox (the Zion one) listed as well.

Anyway, you have to wonder about any company that would offer Penitentiary Canyon as a guided trip anyway.

Commercial guiding in Zion is a no-no.

But there is a loop hole which has been exploited by several groups..... You can charge a membership fee to join an organization and then guide Zion canyons for free as part of your organizations events.

Some of these organizations are legit and just trying to offer value to their membership.... some are just cleverly disguised commercial ventures. I have asked the NPS where the line is in regards to commercial guiding of this nature but as of yet they have not defined one.

Maybe sams club could start a guide service.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Is this company allowed to guide Mystery?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    http://www.tpcsports.com/Canyoneering%20Utah%20-%20Guided%20Tours.htm
    I'm surprised they still have that up. I sent their info to Annette in Zion and to the BLM a couple months ago when they first showed up.

huh!

Give em a call, Mark. See if you can book em for a scout adventure in the Swell.

T

Maybe sams club could start a guide service.
    Only if it's a 6 month supply of people.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    I'm surprised they still have that up. I sent their info to Annette in Zion and to the BLM a couple months ago when they first showed up.

huh!

Give em a call, Mark. See if you can book em for a scout adventure in the Swell.

T
    Are you really surprised? Is there a history of citations or case law against guided tours in the park? Rightfully so, it seems the only thing preventing guided tours is the stigma that has been seminated by legitimate canyon folk. Perhaps the rangers should Step up to the plate and cite/prosecute the fools that break the law.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snatch

huh!

T
    Are you really surprised? Is there a history of citations or case law against guided tours in the park? Rightfully so, it seems the only thing preventing guided tours is the stigma that has been seminated by legitimate canyon folk. Perhaps the rangers should Step up to the plate and cite/prosecute the fools that break the law.
    I suspect that they are no longer planning on guiding, but just have not gotten around to taking the website down... which is why Mark should call them and do a little sleuthing...

T

I left a message sunday but have not heard back.

Here are a couple of quotes from their Bios (go to site for the complete text. :

Dennis (canyondawg) Fisher
    Although relatively new to the sport of canyoneering. Dennis has an extensive and comprehensive background in all aspects of climbing in mountains and deserts throughout the world.

Jerel Fisher
    Jerel has a love and passion for technical climbing. He spends much of his spare time climbing at an indoor climbing facility as well as nearby Rock Canyon.
    First introduced to climbing by his father, Jerel new this was the sport for him. The the physical and mental challenge the sport brings, fuel his thirst and passion to learn and train as much as he can.
    He is a serious prodigy to the sport of canyoneering. Jerel is always looking for ways to develop his canyoneering skills and knowledge.
    Jerel loves canyoneering and spends much of his personal time researching and planning canyoneering routes and trips. He thrills at introducing new people to the sport and volunteers his time teaching and training youth in this sport.

Jake
    Jake is our newest and youngest guide on the team. He's a Labrador Retriever who absolutely loves canyoneering. Jake is at home in the canyons and takes full advantage of every water hole we come to. In fact, he is usually the first in the water and last out. He also loves to explore the surroundings and especially loves to chase lizards. Additionally, Jake is always up for retrieving anything you want to throw for him to fetch.
    Although a bit apprehensive when it comes to rappelling, he is getting the hang of it and is quickly becoming a seasoned canyoneer. Up leading, climbing and swimming are his specialty. You will typically find Jake leading the hike unless he comes to an impasse requiring assistance to negotiate.
    I must say, the above bios don't instill a ton of confidence to say the least. To be fair, Dennis has a bunch of military/ first aid type experience. The others???????
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by snatch

huh!

T
    I suspect that they are no longer planning on guiding, but just have not gotten around to taking the website down... which is why Mark should call them and do a little sleuthing...

T
    I never have heard back from them.
    Mark