Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Totem

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I do have a bit of concern in the "I don't know what you call it" mode and also in the "stop and go, ascending" modes though.
    Bo
    Bo, this isn't illustrated in the photos, but is in the text on the ACA forum and will be in the final instruction sheet -- clip your safety tether into the hole on the end where the rope is wrapped. This will eliminate the possibility of the rope coming off.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think it looks great! The thing I really like about it, is you can lock off easy and perform a couple "stunts" on your way down to impress the laydeez.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

4. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwild
    I do have a bit of concern in the "I don't know what you call it" mode and also in the "stop and go, ascending" modes though.
    Bo
    Bo, this isn't illustrated in the photos, but is in the text on the ACA forum and will be in the final instruction sheet -- clip your safety tether into the hole on the end where the rope is wrapped. This will eliminate the possibility of the rope coming off.
    Ahhh! Got it Rich! Clears up my sense of insecurity. Certainly a multi-function device. Any wholesale options available for "The Desert Rat"?

Thank you.

P.S. : I would suggest the later options (particularly descent) as not the preferred methods. If I flipped the rope over the horn at mid-rappel, I would certainly want to have another bag of tricks to prevent burning through my tether (i.e. quick unweighting and re-rig for descent). Just a thought? Maybe list it as an advanced technique? Or maybe clip a carabiner into one side of the rope bight as it exits the "sticht plate"? Don't know?

Ahhh! Got it Rich! Clears up my sense of insecurity. Certainly a multi-function device. Any wholesale options available for "The Desert Rat"?
    Bo, I only have your outdooroutlet email address. Write to me at rcwild@canyoneering.net and we'll discuss.

P.S. : I would suggest the later options (particularly descent) as not the preferred methods. If I flipped the rope over the horn at mid-rappel, I would certainly want to have another bag of tricks to prevent burning through my tether (i.e. quick unweighting and re-rig for descent). Just a thought? Maybe list it as an advanced technique? Or maybe clip a carabiner into one side of the rope bight as it exits the "sticht plate"? Don't know?
    Instructions will be divided into four sections: rigging, rappelling on two strands of rope, rappelling on a single strand of rope, and "esoteric" methods. Stop 'n go will be listed under esoteric. It should never become anyone's primary rappelling method.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

That things the size of a Buick. Add boat anchor to possible uses.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain
    That things the size of a Buick.
    True. It is ENORMOUS!

For comparison, here is the Buick next to the Chevy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Well, I used the Totem for the first time last evening. I really like it! Spidey showed me all kinds of riggings, rap set-ups and so forth. I fear I have only scratched the surface of possibilities with this device. I really liked "throttle mode". Also, "the joker" seems like it should be required learning for all leaders of any canyoneering trip. Anyway, my review is absolutely for this device. It will be with me in every canyon.
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    You can also set up a joker with 2 figure 8 devices..................
    I think the small diameter of the totem makes it a difficult contingency system if lowering anyone under 200lbs.

Yah, I know you can use two figure 8's. But I will never have two figure 8's in a canyon since I don't like them and I haven't used one for more than a decade. So, Totem it is! I will practice on a couple skinny teenagers this evening to see how difficult it is. I'll report back.
    Life is Good

I have used my totem for the last year or so and LOVED it. I am converted... just dont let it drown you in those swimming disconnects...

Quote Originally Posted by nielse2 View Post
    I have used my totem for the last year or so and LOVED it. I am converted... just dont let it drown you in those swimming disconnects...
    I always have two rap devices on my harness and one is a Piranha. I will probably use the Piranha on any swimming disconnects but only if I didn't properly set the rope length. Or I will clip my tether to the Totem so I don't drop it in a pothole.
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    are you two using a totem in throttle mode for wet disconnects? much better ways to rig it without having to hold the device in your hand for a wet disconnect. though it's probably wise to master your favorite 2 or 3 ways to rig the device.

Honestly, I have not yet mastered any mode but I am trying them out next week!
    Life is Good

I have a Totem and it is my favorite Rap device. It is sort of like a Swiss Army Knife of rap devices, though... I probably only know 1/3 of it's potential functionality. I leave the Totem clipped with locking biner to the Rappel/belay loop and then just clip the hole at the opposite end to one of the gear loops of the harness when not in use and it does not bang around or get in the way. The Totem is great.