Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study: Glen Canyon, Zion lead in Utah park rescues

Study: Glen Canyon, Zion lead in Utah park rescues

Study: Glen Canyon, Zion lead in Utah park rescues
    KSL.com
    January 6, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- If you're a guy in your 20s on a day hike in a national park in Utah, step carefully. You're among the most likely to need rescuing.

Between 2001 and 2005, there were more than 1,100 search and rescue operations at National Park Service units in the state, according to a new study. Of those, 60 percent involved men and most ran into problems while on a day hike or boating.

The biggest sources of trouble? Take your pick from fatigue, heat, darkness, insufficient equipment and not wearing the proper clothing.

The most common culprit, though, was bad judgment or lack of good information, according to the study headed by Travis Heggie, an assistant professor at the University of North Dakota.

He's hoping the park service will do more -- especially on the Web -- to educate visitors about how to stay out of trouble in the parks.

"The best time to get people the safety message is before they leave the house," Heggie said.

In 2007, $4.7 million was spent in national parks across the country looking for lost, stranded or injured visitors, according to Park Service figures. More than 97 percent of searches were successful within 24 hours.

Although search efforts often make headlines at Grand Canyon, Yosemite and parks in Alaska, Utah's five national parks and five national monuments draw about 8 million visits per year -- and a few visitors are bound to run into trouble.

"It's a high profile area with some important parks," Heggie said, who based the study based on annual reports from Utah's national parks.

Heggie, a former ranger who once worked on a risk management program for the Park Service, said he wanted to get a better feel for the workload of those doing emergency medicine and search and rescue in Utah's national parks.

"People in those parks, the guys doing search and rescue, they're are some of the best," Heggie said.

The study is published in the latest issue of the journal Wilderness and Environmental Medicine.

Overall, there were more than 4,700 medical calls in Utah national parks, including 79 fatalities between 2001 and 2005, according to the study.

The Park Service couldn't immediately verify the figures in Heggie's paper but several of the trends noted were similar to those in Park Service records.

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area had the highest number of incidents, accounting for nearly half of the search and rescue operations during the study period. On average, there were about 112 search and rescue operations per year, the study said. Many of them involved boaters going overboard.

Zion had the highest number of first aid calls and the largest number of hikers that needed help.

As canyon exploration becomes more popular, Zion is seeing a shift in emergency calls from stranded climbers to those stuck or injured in lower-lying areas, said Bonnie Schwartz, Zion's chief ranger.

Canyoneering typically requires a permit. Schwartz said rangers use that as an opportunity to educate visitors about safety and make sure they have the proper equipment.

"We do our best to give them the most information as we can on the front end," said Schwartz said.

Often, though, visitors don't fully understand that they're entering a largely uncontrolled environment -- out of cell phone range and away from city amenities -- where they're responsible for their own safety.

"One of the common themes is people overestimate their ability," said Loren Greenway, director of the Salt Lake City-based Academy of Wilderness Medicine, which provides courses in outdoors medicine.

Other common problems are people becoming disoriented and not responding properly, hikers leaving too late and getting caught in the dark and equipment failures. He said those going into the wild need to be better prepared in wilderness medicine and better educated about where they're going.

"If you don't even appreciate the risks, then there's no way for you to prepare," Greenway said.

Heggie said it's unlikely many visitors understand the financial costs of search and rescue operations. On average in Utah parks, each costs around $1,146. Individual parks pay for those less than $500. More expensive operations can be paid for by regional or national funds.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5249408

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So either hike when you're under 20 or over 30....problem resolved (Have fun Brent at GC...lots of mid's)!

Utah is a very dangerous place. Please stay home. Zion is particularly dangerous. Don't go there. Go to the mall. This has been a public service message. Thank you.
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    hey everyone lets help Bo out this year and make Zion the clear #1 SAR area for Utah this year. No more sharing it with Glen Canyon NRA.

OH NO, I'M IN THE AGE RANGE AND MALE!!!!!! I CAN HEAR DEATH KNOCKING!!!!!!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    OH NO, I'M IN THE AGE RANGE AND MALE!!!!!! I CAN HEAR DEATH KNOCKING!!!!!!
    OMG me too!!!!

Last one deads a cissy!!!!

BUMP.

Yep, this still holds true.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    And I see Glen Canyon surging ahead, with many more canyoneering routes than Zions, plus, the boating angle.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    And I see Glen Canyon surging ahead, with many more canyoneering routes than Zions, plus, the boating angle.
    but...

It is not Canyoneers that need rescues. It is hikers doing canyoneering routes. Broken ankles in Orderville from jumping into pools. Twisted ankles in the Narrows. Hikers going into the Subway in April and expecting summer conditions...

There may be more routes in Glen Canyon, but there are WAY less canyoneers, and WAY WAY less hikers doing canyoneering routes by mistake.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    but...

It is not Canyoneers that need rescues. It is hikers doing canyoneering routes. Broken ankles in Orderville from jumping into pools. Twisted ankles in the Narrows. Hikers going into the Subway in April and expecting summer conditions...
    Excellent point Tom. Your point is really a no-brainer but the way you say it seems to give a fresh perspective (at least to me) on things. I for one appreciate your input, especially when it involves incidents.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

but...

It is not Canyoneers that need rescues. It is hikers doing canyoneering routes.
    WHAT?? Everytime I hear of a rescue, the news says the group/individual was experienced...........

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    WHAT?? Everytime I hear of a rescue, the news says the group/individual was experienced...........
    Now here is the real point Kurt..................Let's qualify "Experienced"? I've seen very "Experienced" climbers die!? I've seen very "Experienced" hikers die!? I've seen very "Experienced" canyoneers die!? Hmmmmmmmm!? Whats the magic threshold that separates experienced from inexperienced?????????

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/ar...erienced-hiker

http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-ho...rom-mt-olomana

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/10/2...r-dies-in.html

http://www.traditionalmountaineering..._JimAnglin.htm

http://www.huecotanks.com/ToddSkinnerDies.html

http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/a...hp/t-1612.html

but...

It is not Canyoneers that need rescues. It is hikers doing canyoneering routes.

Ummm, what? What exactly makes a real "canyoneer". Do you come down from on high and dub someone a canyoneer when they have met your requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinerider View Post
    Ummm, what? What exactly makes a real "canyoneer". Do you come down from on high and dub someone a canyoneer when they have met your requirements?
    Yup. Dab people with a little Imlay Potholy Water, say a few "Hail Turville's", hand them the card, and *voila*, they are a REAL canyoneer.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Now here is the real point Kurt..................Let's qualify "Experienced"? I've seen very "Experienced" climbers die!? I've seen very "Experienced" hikers die!? I've seen very "Experienced" canyoneers die!? Hmmmmmmmm!? Whats the magic threshold that separates experienced from inexperienced?????????

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/ar...erienced-hiker
    http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/a...hp/t-1612.html
    They're experienced NOW!

The most dangerous people in Utah seem to be "Experienced Outdoorspeople".

Tom

Yup. Dab people with a little Imlay Potholy Water, say a few "Hail Turville's", hand them the card, and *voila*, they are a REAL canyoneer.

Tom

Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinerider View Post
    Good to know
    More seriously, a "real canyoneer" would be one who knows that snow melts in the spring, and runs through the Subway, and MIGHT make it too burly. A "real canyoneer" would realize in the Subway, all that water has to get through a 2 foot wide slot, and I do too. A real canyoneer would get to the Left Fork and see all that water flowing, then turn around and head back to town for a burger at Oscar's. Or, continue on and rescue all the "experienced outdoorspeople" stalled out by lack of knowledge and skills.

Tom

Word has it, this person is deceased.

Outdoorspeople...pizza box under arm and wearing a tablecloth.