Thread: Utah produces record elk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hmm ... seems like a shame to me to kill.

Columnists from national hunting magazines joined the fray and criticized the program that allowed Austad to bid and win a $150,000 elk conservation permit to hunt anywhere in the state for several months
    150k for a permit? Could someone elaborate? So I assume this would let him get a jump start on the season and hunt way earlier than other hunters?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    hmm ... seems like a shame to me to kill.
    It is a shame...that he cant share and fill up my freezer.

There is so much contriversy over this bull. Before this year it has never been seen, the bull has the same caracteristics of ranch raised steroid bull, and there is an ongoing ivestigation that the bull was actually shot by a Mossback guide because the permit holder couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I know this because my dad works one day a week for the fish and game and gets inside info.

Stefan, you should celebrate the fact that hunting dollars produce these giants in Utah for everyone to enjoy. This bull if it is a real wild bull or not is not the only big bull in Utah.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

the hunter couldn't hit the broadside of a barn?

this was taken by a man named Denny Austad. He held the previous world record to this one. Denny, if i recall correctly, engineers his own cartridges that he hunts with. he has harvested many trophy animals in utah.

but, the real controversy on this bull is how the mossback guides run a full military operation so the client can get his trophy. blocking off roads, diverting other hunters, and then pushing the bull towards the client for the easy kill. there was something like 14 guides on this hunt, including all the pushers, and those who were blocking access from other hunters, guaranteeing Austad got his shot.

trophy hunting at it's finest.

Yeah I know we all enjoy the revenue that this brings to the state and helps maintain our backcountry, fisheries etc, but that would bw one hell of a site to be able to see such a large elk in all its glory cruising around in the wild...if it was wild.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Yeah I know we all enjoy the revenue that this brings to the state and helps maintain our backcountry, fisheries etc, but that would bw one hell of a site to be able to see such a large elk in all its glory cruising around in the wild...if it was wild.
    Check Cabelas and it may be there in a year or so.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Check Cabelas and it may be there in a year or so.
    Yeah it will still scare the shit out of me...LOL

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

A friend of mine was following this bull trying to get to it before the mossback guys, but as we have all heard they had a crap load of scouts, pushers, and even helicopters out watching for this thing. One landowner down there was paid 20 grand just to access his property where the bull had moved. Insane, in my mind that takes away the hunting experience. I know he paid a sh__t load of money for the hunt, tag, guide, etc but come on thats not HUNTING.