Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish Treasure Symbols and Spanish Mission in Utah

@ Mntman next time you might fool em more if you put it on the ground like
    Yes i know my photoshopping skills stink but it's an example.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I found some gold plates a while back--up near Notch Pass.

Okay, I'm just kidding. I've seen the same image cut in the tree up near Fish Lake. I've even got a picture of it. From what I understand, the sword is supposedly pointed at the mine, and when you look at this one, you can see a short distance away what appears to be a caved in mine. there is also supposedly an old Spanish mine which is now beneath the waters of Moon Lake, and also some other mining activity east of Moon Lake. I tried to find the site east of the lake but was unsuccessful and that is some of the most rugged country I've ever tried to negotiate--boulders, blowdowns, thorns, wasps, and steepness make this an attempt not for the faint of heart.

Mine east of Moon Lake

I only know of one mine south east of Moon Lake, but nothing directly east of it. Very rugged country. I spend a week up there every year and explore. I would like to check out the are you believe that mine to be in. How did you hear about it?

Re: Mine east of Moon Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bigrockman
    I only know of one mine south east of Moon Lake, but nothing directly east of it. Very rugged country. I spend a week up there every year and explore. I would like to check out the are you believe that mine to be in. How did you hear about it?
    It was in a book I read, with the GPS coordinates. I can't remember the name of the book. Actually I think this was a little south east, but since our GPS was set up in a different system than the one in the book (I found out later) we could've been off substantially. But where we began hiking up was a little south of the dam. I'll try to find that book again and see exactly what it says.

Moon lake Mine

Ah, that is Dale Bascoms book. I know him really well. He actually got the location of that sink hole east of the dam from a story that was told to me that I related to him. I found out last year that it was created from the pump room for the Dam which is directly below it. You can see the pictures on my treasure blog. http://utahtreasure.blogspot.com/sea...el/Moon%20Lake

7. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Have any of you heard about a hide out in the san rafael swell that butch and th wild bunch used to use? I have had many leads, and have spent many years searching to find a lot of dead ends..anybody have any information?
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

I have been treasure hunting and ghost towning since the early 80s.
    Between my expenditures, and my dads when I was a kid, I would have to find the lost rhodes mine to break even.
    Always a good excuse to spend time with my dad when I was younger. do some fishing and camping along with it, many wonderful weekends spent in the field with him and now making some of those with my own kids.

My dad moved to washingtona few years back. Hes making a trip back to utah this month, or maybe early july. His only goal of his trip?
    back to the uintas to take a walk up the trail head form christmas meadows and do some fishing.
    Hes in no shape to do the miles with a pack to ryder lake again, but that wilderness boundary a few miles in and the stillwater river seem an attainable goal for him at this point.
    Hes 74, still riding a big ass motorcycle around dressed in leathers and ready to hit a river instead of sitting in a lawn chair on a lake.
    How about some directions to the spanish stuff in Christmas meadows? Id love to show him that while we are there for a day or two.

Butch Cassidy Hideout

I have direction on how to get there. I will have to dig it out of my archives. Email me and I will see what I can dig up. Takes a long time to get out to it. You will need at least two spare tires, tons of water and extra gas. Hope your up for a trip!

Christmas Meadows

I do not know of anything right in Christmas Meadows. There is some stuff up on Gold Hill across from Christmas Meadows, but I don't have coords to that stuff. There are a few old miners cabins in the basin before McPheters lake, but very difficult to locate. Anyone else have some info for the Christmas Meadows area?

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Re: Moon lake Mine

Ah, that is Dale Bascoms book. I know him really well. He actually got the location of that sink hole east of the dam from a story that was told to me that I related to him. I found out last year that it was created from the pump room for the Dam which is directly below it. You can see the pictures on my treasure blog. http://utahtreasure.blogspot.com/sea...el/Moon%20Lake
    I have seen the book. Very interesting...

My family is from the area, and we have had family reunions at Moon Lake for as long as I can remember. My mom's uncle worked at the dam, I believe as water master or something of the sort, and spent lots of time in the area, and he knew the natives on the nearby reservation.

He is long since passed, but I guess I will have to talk to his son and see if his dad told him any stories.

I will be up there in a few weeks. Hopefully he comes.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Moon Lake

Sound like you may be related to the Taylor family. They are friends of mine. They have a lot of good stories about the Uintah's. I would love to hear some more if you come up with some.

Re: Moon lake Mine

Wow, and we were hiking way up on the mountain above the dam looking for some hole with bones in it that is described in the book. That's for sure the book as I looked up Dale Bascom on goodreads.com and that was it.

And on a related note, here's a photo I took of the tree map at Fish Lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

16. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Well, I spent the weekend at Moon Lake. I hiked quite a few miles, but didn't find the mine.....

But I did get a few cool pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

18. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Bonsai Tree

Love the pic of the "Bonsai Tree"! Where was the picture #851 taken from? Looks like you were up near the Paint Mine.

Yeah, kinda near the paint mine. I was going to go up there, but ran out of time.

I think that the mine is still in the family. We went up there years ago...
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Wow, and we were hiking way up on the mountain above the dam looking for some hole with bones in it that is described in the book. That's for sure the book as I looked up Dale Bascom on goodreads.com and that was it.

And on a related note, here's a photo I took of the tree map at Fish Lake.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but...

Wasatch Rebel, is that the tree that is right in front of the mine near Fish Lake? I was up there this last fall and remember seeing a cross on a tree directly in front of the collapsed mine. We found one of the old cabins up there. Supposedly there are 2. One from the Spanish and one from the guys that built the dam. I believe the one we found is from the guys that built the dam. We were unable to locate any other signs/symbols.