Thread: "safe" ridge walking opportunities?

"safe" ridge walking opportunities?

I'm looking for a good ridge to take photos from. Anyone know of some easy access and relativity safe (out of avalanche danger) ridges that we could access? Millcreek -> BCC ridge would be preferred.

I wouldn't mind a 2 - 3 hour approach with an altitude gain of under two thousand feet.

Any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

not really in your area but we tried to summit big baldy in front of the westish side of Timp on New Years Day. We kindof made our own trail off of the main dry canyon trail and climbed the south ridge. We got turned around by a storm and we were running out of daylight. There were some awesome views though. Made it to about 7200 feet before we turned around.

If I can remember to bring the camera I will post a TR.
    The man thong is wrong.

If you don't mind driving to American Fork Canyon, Ridge Trail #157 has some good ridge photo ops. You snowshoe up the Pine Hollow Trail which will then connect to Ridge Trail. From the connection point, go North about 200 yards and you'll have a great view of the Heber Valley to the East. From that point continue Northwest up Ridge Trail for about a 1/2 mile and you'll be at the AF Canyon overlook which looks back to the West over AF Canyon- quite spectacular. To snowshoe to the overlook I would plan on about a 3 hour round trip. This route gets snowshoe'd allot so most likely you'll have broken/packed trail conditions. I do this route about every-other week.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    If you don't mind driving to American Fork Canyon, Ridge Trail #157 has some good ridge photo ops. You snowshoe up the Pine Hollow Trail which will then connect to Ridge Trail. From the connection point, go North about 200 yards and you'll have a great view of the Heber Valley to the East. From that point continue Northwest up Ridge Trail for about a 1/2 mile and you'll be at the AF Canyon overlook which looks back to the West over AF Canyon- quite spectacular. To snowshoe to the overlook I would plan on about a 3 hour round trip. This route gets snowshoe'd allot so most likely you'll have broken/packed trail conditions. I do this route about every-other week.
    Awesome, thanks. This is what we will do. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    not really in your area but we tried to summit big baldy in front of the westish side of Timp on New Years Day. We kindof made our own trail off of the main dry canyon trail and climbed the south ridge. We got turned around by a storm and we were running out of daylight. There were some awesome views though. Made it to about 7200 feet before we turned around.

If I can remember to bring the camera I will post a TR.
    This sounds like a fun route as well. I would love to snowshoe around Timp some time. I grew up in Orem, but moved out before I discovered snowshoes and skiing.

Just a heads up- if you plan on doing the Pine Hollow to Ridge Trail route on a Saturday, get there before 9:00am as the Pine Hollow trailhead parking lot fills up quickly with trucks and snowmobile trailers. If the parking lot is full you'll be out'a luck- there is no where else to park.
    Are we there yet?

I hope you don't plan on going alone, and are renting an avalanche beacon.....
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    I hope you don't plan on going alone, and are renting an avalanche beacon.....
    Group of 5, all have beacons & avy gear...

Can you even rent beacons? I tried REI and Wasatch Touring last winter, was a no go at both.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner

Can you even rent beacons? I tried REI and Wasatch Touring last winter, was a no go at both.
    Money making op for Bogley?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I think everyone else avoids renting beacons due to risk / liability insurance costs.

U of U students can rent beacons, if they know who to talk to, or so I hear.