Thread: Freeze Fest 08

Freeze Fest 08

Cross posted from Canyonsgroup:

I started a TR, but prolly won't get around to finishing it any time soon (if at all). Too busy!
    But I want to thank Ram and Tom for being crazy enough, fun enough and generous enough to put this together every year.

This is my 4th year attending and I had the most wonderful time. The drive out was incredible. Tom saved my life in more ways than one. And friends old and new made the experience one that I keep wanting to repeat every year. I finally got to see the Mapleton Crew in action with their awesome dutch oven dinner! I've missed them every previous year arriving a day or two too late (though they always had leftovers for sharing). Imagine coming back to camp starving, wet and cold after and arduous day of canyoneering and having a delicious hot potroast, roasted potatoes and vegetables and TWO deserts: Peach cobbler & a raspberry/chocolate cobbler waiting for you!

Thanks so much to Scott Card, John, Spidey and Kody! You guys are wonderfully generous and sweet.

Here are some pictures from the first couple of days: Woody & Woodsy on the 31st and Black Hole on the 1st.

http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrin...y=n-7dAflRfh0#

still to come: pix of Cheesebox on the 2nd! Wild and crazy for sure...and maybe even a new tradition? :)~

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Freeze Fest 08

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Cross posted from Canyonsgroup:

I started a TR, but prolly won't get around to finishing it any time soon (if at all). Too busy!
    But I want to thank Ram and Tom for being crazy enough, fun enough and generous enough to put this together every year.

This is my 4th year attending and I had the most wonderful time. The drive out was incredible. Tom saved my life in more ways than one. And friends old and new made the experience one that I keep wanting to repeat every year. I finally got to see the Mapleton Crew in action with their awesome dutch oven dinner! I've missed them every previous year arriving a day or two too late (thought they always had leftovers for sharing). Imagine coming back to camp starving, wet and cold after and arduous day of canyoneering and having a delicious hot potroast, roated potatoes and vegetables and TWO deserts: Peach cobbler & a raspberry/chocolate cobbler waiting for you!

Thanks so much to Scott Card, John, Spidey and Kody! You guys are wonderfully generous and sweet.

Here are some pictures from the first couple of days: Woody & Woodsy on the 31st and Black Hole on the 1st.

http://picasaweb.google.com/advntrin...y=n-7dAflRfh0#

still to come: pix of Cheesebox on the 2nd! Wild and crazy for sure...and maybe even a new tradition? :)~

~Randi
    Gorgeous pics, Randi. Thanks for sharing them. My wife keeps telling me not to read the reports and view the pics - the psychological trauma is too much at having missed it!

I had a good time too. Really nice meeting some new folks and seeing those few I've met before again. Got to hear some great stories around the campfire and even asked the old pros some questions.
    I had a lot to catch up on yesterday and at work today. I'll work on a TR later tonight and tomorrow. Kinda want to get Cody's better quality pictures before posting...

Again, sorry if my drunkeness kept anyone awake New Year Eve (early New Years morning).

How'd ya like to stay here for a night? Yeah, me neither! Creepy!
    Hey Randi.... just for the record..... I have stayed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

How'd ya like to stay here for a night? Yeah, me neither! Creepy!
    Hey Randi.... just for the record..... I have stayed there.

WHY? So you could stay awake all night wondering if you'd survive the night?

sweet pics!

The scrap dinosaurs in front of that hotel were made by my grandpa. He used to have them set up right by the freeway in Richfield and people would pay to see them. The city shut him down because he didn't have restrooms so he let the owner of the hotel have them. I'm not sure why he made them, he just likes to weld.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    WHY? So you could stay awake all night wondering if you'd survive the night?
    Oh hell..... I've stayed in worse places then that....

Actually it's been about 8 years since I stayed there.... I don't think this place has rented rooms for the past 6 years. The guy makes his main coin with his tow truck I believe. I was actually sorry to see the place close. The rooms were clean and cheap. The place has fallen into a bit of disrepair since I stayed there....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    sweet pics!

The scrap dinosaurs in front of that hotel were made by my grandpa. He used to have them set up right by the freeway in Richfield and people would pay to see them. The city shut him down because he didn't have restrooms so he let the owner of the hotel have them. I'm not sure why he made them, he just likes to weld.

HOW COOL IS THIS? That's so awesome Jaxx!

Randi- Love your photos. I admire you SO MUCH for being one tough chic! Looks like you guys had an amazing time. I could only hope one day to complete something as accomplished.

You are my SHE-RO.

Randi - you make everything look fun! Your pictures are awesome - are you thawed out yet?

You are inspirational!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    sweet pics!

Jaxx, this is really interesting - it would be fun to know more about the dinosaurs if you have time to share with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Randi - you make everything look fun! Your pictures are awesome - are you thawed out yet?

You are inspirational!
    Thanks for the nice words girls, but I am no shero, hero or any of that.
    I'm lazy and all I want to do is play! That's all there is to it!
    And, I have a layer of blubber which acts as a good insulator, making it "that" much easier to endure the wet and cold of FF!

Jaxx, that's so cool that your grandfather made those weird sculptures!
    They're very creative, but man oh man, sitting out there in front of that run down hotel like that, it sure lends that place a air of absolute creepiness! And Shane, you're a cheap date! JK~

Thanks Cirrus for liking the photos. And welcome back.
    I hadn

Don't let Randi fool you. She is tough or crazy or both. Most sane people don't do this stuff in the winter, in the water, in the ice, let alone ever. Most sane people don't break ice intentionally to get into the water and continue this activity for hours. I am proud to be like you! Our idea of fun is just, shall we say, a bit off. Randi is a wonderful person, cheerful to be around and was kind enough to eat our food again this year. It is always fun to hike with Randi, sorry you had to get back to Southern California and you missed Saturday's canyon. Oh, and I agree that the little motel in Hanksville is very Psycho-esque. Makes one wonder where they keep the bodies.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia

Quote Originally Posted by abirken

Jaxx, this is really interesting - it would be fun to know more about the dinosaurs if you have time to share with us.
    What info would you like? I don't really know a ton about it. He used to find scrap metal and build dinosaurs with them. He has a swan mailbox infront of his house and he built a huge tetor totter for his grandkids in his back yard. He also has a dinosaur bench back there.

Randi-He used to keep them painted and looking nice but when he gave them away they weren't kept up, like most things in Hanksville. It does add a certain chain saw massacre feel to the hotel.
    The man thong is wrong.