Thread: Best place to get firewood?

Best place to get firewood?

Freezefest is around the corner, and it's gonna be cold! I need to get a bunch of firewood as cheap as possible.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The best way to get firewood is to harvest it yourself. The next best thing is to call up lumbermills. A lot of times they have loose odds n ends that they will either give away, or sell at a really low price. Also check the classifieds or Craigslist. You'd be surprised at how many people are looking to get rid of firewood for whatever reason. You might also wanna try places that make/sell wooden pallets.

I had a wood-burning stove in The Monti, and I have one here in Green River, so I've learned how to get it cheap.

Good luck, and have fun at FRRRRREEZEFEST!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

When I plan ahead I usually can find free firewood from Craigslist, Freecylce.rg, or the Daily Herald. Good luck friend!

shoot. i don't think i planned ahead very well...

harvesting myself? probably not gonna happen with this storm. checked the free firewood, but it looks like it's been listed for awhile. some places sell some, but it isn't super cheap. what lumber yards are good?

palettes probably won't work, too bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    what lumber yards are good? palettes probably won't work, too bulky.
    Any lumber yard - just go surfing through the yellow pages.

How much do you need, and when are you leaving?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

palettes probably won't work, too bulky.

Not to be judgmental but it is my understanding that pallets are treated some sort of high pressure, burn resistant coating, which makes them extremely hazardous to the environment. This is not something I have really researched, and maybe that is something people say to reduce pallets being burned and nails left around but I have grouped burning pallets with burning tires ever since I heard that.

When I lived out in Syracuse, the Utility trailer factory in Clearfield had about a half dozen huge boxes filled with wood out in front of their factory, right off 2000 West. There was a sign that read "FREE FIRE WOOD", but the word "FIRE" was crossed out.

They sell it up in my neck of the woods for $150/cord. Delivered.

rockgremlin is right - most any lumberyard will be glad to sell you all the scrap you can load. Up here in Bridger Valley outside of Mountain View, WY you can go to Ayers & Baker lumbermill and they will load you up with BIG bundles of slats for $15 - nearly half a ton or more. I fill my pickup and my trailer for $15 when I go there. I think their is still a mill in Evanston too but I dont remember. You used to be able to call Fetzers and see if they had any scrap lumber they were getting rid off. Stringham Lumber used to too. Call the millworks & cabinet shops in the SLC valley too.