Thread: Advice please!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Advice please!

Ok so I know nothing about snowshoeing, but I am about to learn. Janet (my coworker) wants to go next week. She told me I need a good pair of water proof boots. What do you recommend?

I would like these boots to serve more then one purpose. I will be volunteering this winter to help with ski races which means I am going to have to hike up the race hill to whatever spot they tell me, and stand in the cold. So they need to be very very very very warm. My toes get cold way to easy, I am willing to pay good money to keep my feet warm. They need to go up the packed snow easier then run of the mill snow boots. I will use them for snowshoeing at least twice this year, and I hope more. And I will definetly use them for hiking around WSU's campus in the snow and at times their stairs are treacherous when covered with ice.

Thanks for the help!
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think any of a variety of boots should work. It is a matter of personal preference, to some degree. Do your feet stay warm easily? Mine get cold no matter what boots I wear. I use a pair of salomon insulated hiking boots right now.

Here's a few options:

http://www.rei.com/product/740631

http://www.rei.com/product/740613

Those two are the style I prefer, but you might want something a little more sleek, though you will lose some insulation value.

http://www.rei.com/product/771148

a good pair of sorels with an extra pair of felt liners will do you nicely without breaking the bank. the liners will get wet from perspiration which is why i recommend a extra pair of liners. they have rubber bottoms and either leather or cordura uppers. the cordura uppers come up higher than the leather and don't need an additional gaiter. i have a black pair with the cordura uppers. i think they are the toastiest boots out there. i've used mine for snowshoeing, dog mushing, and just getting around for 19 alaskan winters. wouldn't wear anthing else.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

If you are reallly looking for a good pair of boots, I recommend Montrail:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...&cat=220&top=2

These boots do not take long to break in, and they are waterproof. I also recommend you get a pair of gators also.

My feet rarely get cold. I buy the cheap leather boots at payless. My last pair lasted me about 7 years. I discovered a hole where the leather meets the sole.

If you want to make sure your feet stay warm invest in these bad boys. http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/heatedsocks_ladies.html
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

I have the mens version of these boots, they perform great while snowshoeing.

I've been snowshowing with the Nort Face Boltaro for years now. They are extremely warm (my feet get cold easily), durable, and very comfortable to wear all day.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Thanks guys! Now I have same names to specificly look at. I think I will go this weekend. Let you know what I decide.
    Chere'

Cheri,
    These boots are without a doubt the most comfortable, warm and dry winter boots I have every owned. Perfect just for keeping warm or for snowshoeing... check out Columbia boots - they're great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I really like my Columbia Bugabootoo's http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=1757619
    They are inexpensive ($59.99 at Cabela's) and come women's specific. I snowshoe a bunch and really like the lower profile of this boot- makes it easier to get in and out of your snowshoes and easier to walk/hike. I wear a good pair of wool-blend socks and gaitors and have never had my feet get cold. I highly recommend them!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Cheri,
    These boots are without a doubt the most comfortable, warm and dry winter boots I have every owned. Perfect just for keeping warm or for snowshoeing... check out Columbia boots - they're great.
    I second this. I have a pair of Columbia and a pair of Northface (both under $100) that have lasted me over 10 years and still going........I wear either pair for both Snowshoeing, shoveling snow and grocery shopping. You can't go wrong with either pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well this is the wrong time of year to buy snow boots. Go figure... everyone is out.

Cabella's had my size so I bought a pair of North Face, they were $20.00 cheaper then the Columbia and came in size 10. Now I just have to wait for them to come and then see if they fit properly. I don't like buying shoes like this, but NO ONE has size 10's available to try on anymore.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    Well this is the wrong time of year to buy snow boots. Go figure... everyone is out.
    I had the same problem getting some new boots for my wife over the past week. We went to every shoe and sporting goods store between Provo and Sandy and couldn't find anything. Eventually ended up ordering some Columbia Bugaboot Omni-Techs from Cabela's for way more than I wanted to spend, and even then they're on a 1-2 week back order.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    We went to every shoe and sporting goods store between Provo and Sandy and couldn't find anything.
    Modern Shoe in Provo ... great deals this time of year on winter boots.