Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Bike Knowledge

Road Bike Knowledge

TOTAL BUDGET of a BMC Team Machine frame...... Hoping to find a closeout '08 that fits my needs and gets me in at a decent price. Some of the shops look to be REALLY dealing, others not so much....

Thinking of dipping my feet into the road bike game. I HAVE NEVER OWNED A ROAD BIKE BEFORE. Looking for something to ride around on for fitness & fun rides(events) ect. Who knows, I may even duathlon or sprint tris....

Probably would use it as my commuter as well, which I do now with a mountain bike. Long story short, this bike has to be a catch all for me.....

Anyway....I have been to a few shops and my head is spinning.

There are bikes that I have been steered towards. Due to what appears to be a smoking price, I have a front runner. Who knows if this will change when I get on them.

Anyway, fill me full of knowledge. Bikes you would recommend looking at.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just got myself a cyclocross bike and I am really digging it. I am going to use it as my road bike this summer. I think that may be the way to go if you are looking at commuting on it. They have extra frame clearance for wider knobby tires and the frame and fork are built a bit more stout.

I put road tires on it and it seems plenty fast on the road.

The only drawback to it is that they are not as aerodynamic as the pure road machines. This may or may not be a big deal to you.

The best part about it though is you get to race cyclocross on it if you want. I did two races this year and I'll be at the race on Jan. 3 and I loved it.

What's your budget anyway? That would help narrow things down a bit.

I'd 2nd the CX recommendation. If your not going to jump 100% into the road cycling world, don't get a top of the line road bike. You can put 23mm tires on a cross bike and keep up with 99% of the roadies on the road, but you can't put 45mm tiers on a road bike, and ride single track if the urge hits you.

Do you want to mount fenders or racks on the bike? Most road bikes, and even some high end CX bikes don't have eyelets for racks, or space for fenders.

My "road bike" is a cross bike as well. Love it - super comfortable and very versatile. I use it for sprint tris as well.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

My "road bike" is a cross bike as well. Love it - super comfortable and very versatile. I use it for sprint tris as well.

Having said that, my real road bike prior to this one was a LeMond, which I really really liked. I know a few people that have them and love them as well.

Really - it's about fit and comfort - see what works for ya in your price range. Keep in mind that as far as fit - if you find a bike in your range that you really like, or you can get a smokin' deal on it, it its not fitting quite right, ask the dealer to change out the stem or adjust the saddle - little things like that can make a bike feel awesome that just wasnt quite right before.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I own three road bikes. A race worthy Felt F50, a cyclocross capable Soma Double Cross, and a Jamis Aurora for loaded touring, foul weather commuting, and trips to the grocery store. The Soma is far and away my favorite ride. It's not a great cross bike but you can race on it, especially if you're just into getting out there and having fun. Even with road tires, it's not a great bike for centuries or triathalons at 23 lbs. but it will get you around the course. Where mine truly shines is commuting and credit card touring. With clearance for 700x32c Randonneur Pros and rack bosses, it's a dream bike for 15-35 lb. loads.

No matter what you do, you're going to have some tradeoffs. Fast fitness rides aren't bad on a cyclocross bike equipped with road tires but if it's also your commuter you're not going to want tires intended for racing mounted on it. You might want to look for a cross bike with bosses for a rear rack. Once you've commuted on a hot summer day in street clothes with panniers, you'll never want to ride with anything more than a Camelbak ever again.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Thanks for the replies..........

Should have mentioned that commuting is just Point A to Point B and back.... I can keep clothing, toiletries ect at work and shower there, which is what I do. I commute in riding gear.....

So no, I will not be mounting a rack.....or fenders.....

Well, went with a Trek Madone 5.2..... Excited to get it home, which I have not done. Going back for a full fit next week(needed shoes and pedals)......

Anyway.....wish I had pics.....maybe next week. Getting Michelle her first bike soon as well....and I think I am going to try to talk some friends into doing LOTOJA as a relay team..... Anyone done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    Well, went with a Trek Madone 5.2..... Excited to get it home, which I have not done. Going back for a full fit next week(needed shoes and pedals)......

Anyway.....wish I had pics.....maybe next week. Getting Michelle her first bike soon as well....and I think I am going to try to talk some friends into doing LOTOJA as a relay team..... Anyone done that?
    Awesome! That's a nice bike. I haven't ever done LOTOJA before but I've thought about it.

Pics are always nice. Have fun with it.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    pics?
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    pics?
    Tuesday.... I don't have the bike home yet...... I have ordered road shoes and they should be in Tuesday. I'll go back up and get a full fit with the shoes and then bring her home.

Lots of photos then......

Your gonna love it man, I started last year and it really helps with the mtn biking aspect also! Gret choice.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I think I am going to try to talk some friends into doing LOTOJA as a relay team..... Anyone done that?
    I've done the Lotoja both solo and as a 2-man relay team. Both times were enjoyable, but the solo effort requires a substantial training commitment prior to the race. The relay was fun. We each did 100 miles and it wasn't too bad. You could even split it up into 5 legs if you had 5 guys. If you're just getting into the sport, I would recommend the relay first to see what the course is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    I think I am going to try to talk some friends into doing LOTOJA as a relay team..... Anyone done that?
    I've done the Lotoja both solo and as a 2-man relay team. Both times were enjoyable, but the solo effort requires a substantial training commitment prior to the race. The relay was fun. We each did 100 miles and it wasn't too bad. You could even split it up into 5 legs if you had 5 guys. If you're just getting into the sport, I would recommend the relay first to see what the course is all about.
    Yea, that was the plan.....the 6 person relay(maybe it was 5?), which appeared to be an option in '08? I don't see anything '09 listed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    TREK Madone 5.2 - very sweet ride!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...done/madone52/

Beautiful bike
    That is beautiful.....but an '09.... I purchased a leftover '08. I hear that only difference between the two(save for graphics), is a replaceable derailleur hanger. They bumped the price up as well.

Pick it up in 2 days.....

Mine looks just like this....

Pick it up in 2 days.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Nice curves
    Chere'

The new Mr. and Mrs. in the garage.....
    Attached Images Attached Images