Thread: The Day The earth Stood Still

The Day The earth Stood Still

Has anybody seen it? I have a hard time watching movies with Keanu Reeves. Something about horrible acting and $8 tickets I'm downloading the original 1951 movie now. I'm sure I've seen it at some point but I don't remember. Is the book better (as always)?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was thinking about seeing it this afternoon with my son (7 years old). He has seen other PG13s and loves DR Who, Torchwood, and Xfiles.
    Anything in TDTESS scarier than those?

Oh I really want to go see this. I like the whole "we are screwing up the planet" type movies. This weekend though is my wifes turn to pick and she's going for "4 Christmas'" so hopefully someone can see this week and review.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I Tried so hard to not make this post, but I just couldn't help myself

Michael Rennie was ill
    The day the earth stood still
    But he told us where we stand
    Michael Rennie starred as Klaatu in the 1951 movie The Day the Earth Stood Still. He was apparently not sick but rather stuck in an elevator. According to liveforever, the reference is to the injured ("ill") Klaatu.

And Flash Gordon was there
    In silver underwear
    This is a reference to the Flash Gordon films of the late 1930s, which starred Buster Crabbe. They include The Deadly Ray from Mars and Purple Death from Outer Space.

Claude Rains was the invisible man
    In 1933, James Whale (the director of Frankenstein) directed the film version of The Invisible Man, an 1897 novel by H.G. Wells. Claude Rains starred in the movie.

But then something went wrong
    For Fay Wray and King Kong
    They got caught in a celluloid jam
    Another 1933 movie, King Kong, starred a giant ape, actress Fay Wray, and the Empire State Building.

Then at a deadly pace
    It came from outer space
    And this is how the message ran:
    There may or may not have been an old movie called At A Deadly Pace. There was, however, a 1953 film called It Came from Outer Space. It was based on a Ray Bradbury short story and was directed by Jack Arnold (who also directed Tarantula).

Chorus
    Science fiction double feature
    Dr. X will build a creature
    Doctor X was a 1932 movie starring Leonard Atwill as Doctor Xavier, who creates a creature called The Full Moon Strangler. Fay Wray was in this movie as well.

See androids fighting Brad and Janet
    This is presumably a reference to Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, characters in the movie this song precedes, but there are no androids in Rocky Horror.

Anne Francis stars in Forbidden Planet
    Wo oh oh oh oh oh
    At the late-night double feature picture show
    Indeed, Anne Francis did star in the 1956 MGM picture Forbidden Planet - which is actually based on Shakespeare's The Tempest.

I knew Leo G. Carroll
    Was over a barrel
    When tarantula took to the hills
    This is Tarantula - the one directed by Jack Arnold - a 1955 picture from Universal. It did star Leo G. Carroll along with John Agar; Clint Eastwood makes a brief appearance.

And I really got hot
    When I saw Janette Scott
    Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills
    Janette Scott starred (with Howard Keel) in the 1962 movie The Day of the Triffids. The plot was essentially the same as that of the later Little Shop of Horrors, but there's no such thing as a triffid. (There's no such thing as a giant man-eating Venus flytrap, either.)

Dana Andrews said prunes
    Gave him the runes
    And passing them used lots of skills
    Dana Andrews starred in 1957's Curse of the Demon, which was based on a short story called Casting the Runes. Nobody's really sure about the prunes reference, except that it definitely rhymes with runes.

But when worlds collide
    Said George Pal to his bride
    I'm gonna give you some terrible thrills
    Like a... George Pal produced the 1951 movie When Worlds Collide for Paramount, but he wasn't married.

Repeat Chorus

I wanna go
    To the late-night double feature picture show by RKO
    Elements of the Radio Corporation of America (now known simply as RCA) and the Keith-Albee-Orpheum chain of movie theaters in 1928 combined into the Radio-Keith-Orpheum Corporation, or RKO, a production company. RKO's movies included Citizen Kane and King Kong, but the studios were eventually sold to Desilu.

Wo oh oh oh oh oh
    To the late-night double-feature picture show
    In the back row
    Wo oh oh oh oh oh
    To the late-night double-feature picture show.

It helps to know that i am ...OLD.
    I saw this in the theater (Blue Mouse on Broadway in SLC) When I was a kid, my older brothers were dedicated fans and took me. I then saw it many many many times on my own after I got a drivers license, and still see it every year at tower on Halloween, well nearly every year, sometimes i can't make it. Iv been as Riff Raff, as Dr. Frankenfurter, as Brad. It honestly sucks at home, but is a great and fantastic movie to see in person, on the big screen with an audience that knows all the stuff to yell and what to throw and when to scream and throw all the needed items.
    The Blue Mouse was great, no one cared, and the theater was crap, tower cares about being open and so you cant throw hot dogs or other various odd items. Course the Tower is still around, and the blue mouse is long and forever gone, much like the cosmic aeroplane bookstore I used to spend so much time in till its demise in the 80's.
    Good times, good times.

Saw it. Had a lot of potential but petered out midway and became kinda blah.

Saw it too. Took my son, he liked it, but I could tell it could have been quicker paced and had more action for him.
    I like Keanu sometimes and other times he is like watching cardboard act. This was a cardboard Keanu. Too bad; it could have been good.

Disss!! Thanks for the tips though guys. Looks like it's a torrent... errr I mean rental then.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I just got back from seeing this...the original has more excitement than this one. Pretty dull and really slow. "Cardboard" Keanu is right on the mark.

Keanu's been a sci-fi hero a few times...usually a bad one. check out "A Scanner Darkly" for the best exception to the rule (warnning: not a kid or popcorn flick).

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    This weekend though is my wifes turn to pick and she's going for "4 Christmas'" so hopefully someone can see this week and review.
    Saw 4 Christmases. Hilarious. I spewed popcorn which I have never done in my life. See if you can spot Tim McGraw and Dwight Yokam.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.