Thread: TR-Lost in the Darkness

TR-Lost in the Darkness

The story of our adventure starts out in Late September. The Division of Wildlife Resources contacted me for help to retrieve a radio collar located high on Outlaw Peak in Dinosaur National Monument. The DWR and National Park Service were unable to find a route up there (or to get a helicopter to retrieve it) so they contacted me for help since I have explored the area extensively and had climbed Outlaw Peak (which has had only two known ascents). They had flown over the collar and knew the approximate location. It seemed like a challenging but simple enough task and I offered to help, but my real job kept getting in the way and I could never seem to get out.

On foot, the best time for exploring this extremely rugged country is late August through mid-September when the Yampa River is low and not too cold yet, but as time went by it seems the chances of getting away to go look for the collar became slimmer and slimmer. Unfortunately, I was also told that the collar might not still be transmitting by spring time and a winter trip to the area is completely unfeasible most of the time. The collar was located just to the east of the summit bock of Outlaw Peak and only a few people have ever been there, so I hoped I could help.

Towering above the mighty Yampa River is the mighty Outlaw Peak, which has had only three known ascents. The collar is on a broad bench on the right shoulder of the peak that can be seen upper right. We would not have to climb to the very summit to retrieve the collar:

By late November I could finally get away, but I didn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That was an adventure.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Wow!! Excellent story, thanks for putting it up, Scott.

Tom

Very nice write-up. Thanks. What some people won't do to get a sheep collar!
    Life is Good

Re: TR-Lost in the Darkness

[quote=Scott P]
    We also brought along extra clothing and both had hats which came in very handy. We had also left a detailed plan of where we were going (though the terrain is rugged and it would have been difficult to locate us in places along the route). We had stopped when we knew we were off track.

To sum it up, always bring an emergency kit along and always be prepared to survive a night out. I hate to think of how thing could have turned out if we didn

I've been waiting to hear the details ever since you posted the "always carry an emergency kit" thread. Thanks for the TR!
    The man thong is wrong.

Wow, that was an awesome story, and well written. You guys are studs!

By the way, how much was that sheep collar worth... in dollars?