Thread: I need a Beagle for Christmas

I need a Beagle for Christmas

My wife broke down and is letting us boys get a dog for Christmas. The 3 of us have been working on her for about a year. My 2 year old keeps asking for one and she finally broke down after we broke out these pictures

I have been over in Hawaii for 2 weeks and I have not had time to search for dogs. Where can I find one in Utah or not too far to drive before Christmas? I would prefer a trained Beagle but that may not be in the cards given the time restraints. Who knows. I want a small prolly female pooch. Anybody had one or know someone with one?

Any thoughts on my beagle search?

Thanks,

acca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There barks can get really REALLY annoying... :D

Good luck on your search, great dogs, other then that annoying bark!

Yeah I heard they yap a bit. I wonder if they could be trained to keep their yappers shut.

FROGGER has a beagle. I don't know if he can find more though.

Maybe the beagle can. They've got great noses!

That's actually the type of dog my family will get once we have a home suitable for such.

All dogs can be trained to keep quiet. How you do that is beyond me though.

I'm a cat person at heart. They don't bark. Instead, they give you the stink eye and take a nap.

Good luck on your quest.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

ksl.com is showing a bunch for sale

ksl.com classifieds>dogs>'search':beagles

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Yeah I heard they yap a bit. I wonder if they could be trained to keep their yappers shut.
    They most certainly can

I have had a few dogs to date and will probably be looking into it in the not so distance future.

I always enjoy watching this guy on NatGeo, great information from this guy. If only he was around 15 years ago I would highly suggest watching him on the National Geographic Channel (The Dog Whisperer) and or picking up his book or DVD's. It's basically dog owning 101. Check him out.

CESAR MILLIAN (clicky)

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    You should have posted this about a month ago a co-worker had to get rid of her beagle (give away of put down). She was divorced and the husband didn't want the dog. Place she was living wouldn't allow here to keep the dog. Fully trained. Great with kids. Giving it up FREE as in $0.00. $0 down payment. $0.00 in interest a month. Free. Pure bread AKC registered. Only looking for a family with kids willing to play with it. Since no one stepped forward she lowered her standard to anyone wanting a dog. Last I heard no one stepped up.

RIP

Acca! The rescue I volunteer for just adopted out the perfect beagle named Scooby! He was trained and everything. Owner was being shipped overseas.

I'd try Petfinder.org for Beagles, and then ask if they've been in foster care - usually then they are trained and have been around kids possibly. Just need to ask!

They need a fence though, that nose will take them miles.

Is wife up for a dog or is she just caving to shut you all up? As in when you are not around, does she know she's going to be the main caretaker of the dog? In my experience, when mom doesn't really want a dog, and mom is left to take care of the dog (after all 2 year olds can't be responsible for another creature), dog ends up being rehomed. I've seen it happen alot.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    You should have posted this about a month ago a co-worker had to get rid of her beagle (give away of put down). She was divorced and the husband didn't want the dog. Place she was living wouldn't allow here to keep the dog. Fully trained. Great with kids. Giving it up FREE as in $0.00. $0 down payment. $0.00 in interest a month. Free. Pure bread AKC registered. Only looking for a family with kids willing to play with it. Since no one stepped forward she lowered her standard to anyone wanting a dog. Last I heard no one stepped up.

RIP
    Gah! That's how Class B animal dealers look for profit. Free dogs on the internet then sell them to laboratories. No one should give animals away for free. people don't value what they get for free.

I had a beagle/shihtzu mix. I know its an odd combination. Neighbors had a hole in the fence yada yada yada. It was the craziest little dog ever. It was white with brown beagle spots. He would get bored at night and run in circles around our couch for hours. We didn't have our fence yet and he would take off any chance he got.
    He died when we got him neutered. Vet said it was probably from the medicine that puts them out. He noticed his lips turning blue and did cpr on the little guy. Brought him back but he was badly brain damaged and blind. We had to put him down.

Long story short beagles are crazy dogs and have a ton of energy.
    The man thong is wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

RIP
    Gah! That's how Class B animal dealers look for profit. Free dogs on the internet then sell them to laboratories. No one should give animals away for free. people don't value what they get for free.
    Never was posted on the internet. She was forced to give it up. Wanted to give it away to someone she knew and if that didnt' work take it the shelter. No one claimed the dog.

Beagles are wonderful dogs... they are NOT yappers at all, bayers yes but are smart and if traind properly they are not noisy at all. In fact i have not heard my Beagel bawl in over a month... he usually saves his best bawling for the cats in the hood..

If you get one i would suggest getting a puppy... with Beagles old habbits die hard and the dogs i see available that are older have behavior issues that should have been curbed when they were younger... If you do get an older dog let me know. I have many tricks that have worked for adjusting behavior...

Word of warning... (and best reason to get a puppy) Beagles like to follow thier nose and if not traind properly they will not listen to your commands to stop..(it is in thier blood).... this is an issue with poorly traind adult/ teenage beagles... from day one i traind my beagle (Cooper) to ignore his nose and listen to me.... to this day he is off leash in the front yard with me every day and not once has he ran off or followed his nose without permission...

Beagles are gentle with kids, I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old who adore him and he them...

I know everyone wants to get shelter dogs and for good reasons...but they are there for a reson and with this particular breed changing established poor behavior is very difficult...
    "You can judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I had a beagle/shihtzu mix. I know its an odd combination. Neighbors had a hole in the fence yada yada yada. It was the craziest little dog ever. It was white with brown beagle spots. He would get bored at night and run in circles around our couch for hours. We didn't have our fence yet and he would take off any chance he got.
    He died when we got him neutered. Vet said it was probably from the medicine that puts them out. He noticed his lips turning blue and did cpr on the little guy. Brought him back but he was badly brain damaged and blind. We had to put him down.

Long story short beagles are crazy dogs and have a ton of energy.
    Not true, poorly traind beagles are crazy...
    "You can judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him"

Quote Originally Posted by FROGGER
    Not true, poorly traind beagles are crazy...
    Any dog can be crazy if not trained properly and that also goes for the owners as well.

Again, check into CESAR MILLAN (clicky)

Great guy

Thanks for all the feedback. Good stuff. I may or may not need some of froggers tricks. I do think my wife is on board.
    There certainly are a plethora of dawgs available on KSL. I will prolly make some calls tomorrow.

humane society was just saying they had Beagles up for adoption seen it on the news
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH