Thread: Diesel Toyotas?

Diesel Toyotas?

Anyone here familar with the diesel engines that come in modern toyotas? Specifically 2002 and newer 4 runners. Are they any good? :D

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Diesel Toyotas?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    Anyone here familar with the diesel engines that come in modern toyotas? Specifically 2002 and newer 4 runners. Are they any good? :D
    Nothing US spec gets a diesel, not yet anyways. The 03 & newer 4 Runner would have either the gas V6 or V8. The 02' would have the 5VZ V6, all excellent motors.

Outside the US is a different story, but then again the 4Runner is often called a Prado and would have the diesel powerplant.

The last US spec diesel that Toyota imported was the 4cyl turbo in the mid 80's pickups, I don't know that it ever made it into a 4runner (or Trekker?)

Diesel everything lie outside our boundaries

Come April, me and the wife are packing up and moving to Costa Rica, land of old Toyota Land Cruisers and Diesel Everythings.

I really wanted something like this: http://costarica.es.craigslist.org/cto/907763545.html

But I keep getting talked out of it by friends. So the wife and I have decided on a newer Toyota 4 Runner, something like this: http://costarica.es.craigslist.org/cto/954386941.html

Everything is up in the air, I'm not going to buy anything until I'm down there and actually sit my ass in the vehicle. :D

We are probably going to have one of these as a farm vehicle, there everywhere and can be hand for next to nothing: http://costarica.es.craigslist.org/cto/949154052.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    I'm not going to buy anything until I'm down there and actually sit my ass in the vehicle. :D
    There ya go

I wouldn't touch the rovers with that many miles. They cant touch a toy in longevity. Nope.

I've heard of them outside the US. I believe they call it a HiLux? Maybe I'm wrong. Give it a look.

The HiLux is a 2 or 4 door truck. We stayed at a Hostel that owned a 4x4 Kia Truck, the thing was huge, got 35mpg, sat 6 people, could haul a ton and cost ~$19k new. I wish I knew what it was!

For some reason, a new Toyota HiLux truck would run $40k. For that price I can own 10 classic land cruisers and employ a full time mechanic.