Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: I Fell 106 Feet. And Lived.

^^^ Concur with that.

Climbers, canyoneers...we aren't the only ones who recreate and/or see these anchors. Out of sight, out of mind. Hikers, bird watchers, tree huggers, snail darter lovers, land managers...they all see visually obtrusive anchors and some, frankly, see them as...well...obtrusive. If you don't see bolts, anchors...then...their impact is negligable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

makes sense to me

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Climbers, canyoneers...we aren't the only ones who recreate and/or see these anchors. Out of sight, out of mind. Hikers, bird watchers, tree huggers, snail darter lovers, land managers...they all see visually obtrusive anchors and some, frankly, see them as...well...obtrusive.
    Honestly I've never quite understood this claim. I see very few anchors from positions where foot traffic would be remotely close to canyoneering routes. In all of Zion, for example, is there a single bolt or webbing cluster seen anywhere from regular pedestrian go abouts? Off trail in the Escalante region, even then, where? If someone is bird watching or hiking anywhere near where a drop would be, I don't think they'd be hiking near where a drop would be.

Sport climbing routes in a park, different story. But for canyoneering, I don't buy the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    Honestly I've never quite understood this claim. I see very few anchors from positions where foot traffic would be remotely close to canyoneering routes. In all of Zion, for example, is there a single bolt or webbing cluster seen anywhere from regular pedestrian go abouts? Off trail in the Escalante region, even then, where? If someone is bird watching or hiking anywhere near where a drop would be, I don't think they'd be hiking near where a drop would be.
    south fork of choprock/kaleidoscope, the final anchor can be clearly seen

there are a few in the grand canyon - olo, deer creek, garden creek, fern glen, etc... all the anchors at the final drops, (in some cases first drops) can be seen from areas that get a lot of traffic (because of river trips mainly). that's the primary reason why the park requires black webbing only.

In all of Zion, for example, is there a single bolt or webbing cluster seen anywhere from regular pedestrian go abouts?

Yes. Beartrap Falls is one that comes to mind. Not sure what is there currently, but in the past you could see several slings from the bottom. Subway usually has one too.

Off trail in the Escalante region, even then, where?
    South Fork Choprock comes to mind. Steve Allen mentions this in his book.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.