Thread: Wahweap Hoodoos

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Wahweap Hoodoos

I know Bo and Tanya did a great write up on this last year, so no need for anything but pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images                              

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Those are exceptional Kurt. Which way did you go? Did you do the whole hike or cheat?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Those are exceptional Kurt. Which way did you go? Did you do the whole hike or cheat?
    Holding head down, we cheated.
    But still about 3miles roundtrip.
    I'm old--I deserve to "take a better route"(cheat)
    Also it must be noted that the country on either side of the hoodoo's is somewhat un remarkable.(upstream and down)
    Had dinner at T-bird.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Holding head down, we cheated.
    But still about 3miles roundtrip.
    I'm old--I deserve to "take a better route"(cheat)
    Also it must be noted that the country on either side of the hoodoo's is somewhat un remarkable.(upstream and down)
    Had dinner at T-bird.
    I hope they had your beer this time. I loved that little hike, but we did it on a stormy day. It was really beautiful then. On a hot day without water it would be miserable. The sneak/cheat route is a nice drive though.

PS.. I thought you were hard core. Not old.

Very cool. Funny that I can at once be happy to see pictures and sad to be stuck in this cubicle.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Very cool. Funny that I can at once be happy to see pictures and sad to be stuck in this cubicle.
    I will second that!
    Chere'

Cool pictures, thanks! I think I have to put the "cheat" route on the agenda.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Great pictures!

Great shots Kurt! Isn't the place just magic? Sort of mystical; almost eerie! I really like the shot 70507 next to the big blob of cemented river cobble stones!

The first hike we did from Glen Canyon City (Bigwater) was during thunderstorms to the north and made for a spectacular backdrop on our first attempt. There was a steady stream of maybe 10CFS flowing in Wahweap Wash, so many wet crossings! We have cheated as well and the wash was wet and full of much "Desert Snot"! Slippery as greased Lightening!

Hey Win? Do you have room in that Red Jeep for one more hitch.....hiker when you go?

Thanks Bo
    The cheat route is 10.5 miles from the turnoff on Cottonwood Rd.. It is all the blue/grey clay that gets impassable when wet at all. I'm guessing since last night that it is wet, we got 2" of snow at my house here last night.
    And like Bo said, everything in the riverbed that is wet is very slippery. The stream was barely flowing, probably 3cfs?

great pics of the Hoodoos. We were there in June for the second time and again we used the cheat route. But the drive to get there is a very nice one.
    Last year we also stopped at the Rainbow Valley nearby.

Cheat Route

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Thanks Bo
    The cheat route is 10.5 miles from the turnoff on Cottonwood Rd.. It is all the blue/grey clay that gets impassable when wet at all. I'm guessing since last night that it is wet, we got 2" of snow at my house here last night.
    And like Bo said, everything in the riverbed that is wet is very slippery. The stream was barely flowing, probably 3cfs?
    I've used the Cheat Route in the past with great success. I went out there about a month ago to find Cottonwood Canyon road closed. I stopped in Pariah to ask about it and they said it was washed out. I asked if I could go around just to reach the cut-off for the Towers of Silence hoodoos (Wahweap hoodoos) and they said that is an unofficial road and it's illigel for me to be on it.

Next time out I will ask for forgiveness instead of permission. I don't remember the road being posted at all. Besides there is a very nice (and new) trailhead parking area.

Wade

Very cool photos. That's a place I need to visit next spring/summer for sure.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light