Thread: Kauai Backpacking/Hiking

Kauai Backpacking/Hiking

Anyone made it to Kauai for some hiking or backpacking? I've got a permit on the Kalalau for next week, but we've got plenty of time to explore.

Looking for some hot spots if ya got 'em.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Kauai Backpacking/Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Anyone made it to Kauai for some hiking or backpacking? I've got a permit on the Kalalau for next week, but we've got plenty of time to explore.

Looking for some hot spots if ya got 'em.
    WTF, Kauai, you're every where now. Have fun.

If you plan on going to the Maldievs in the future at least invite me along.

Head for the Waimea Canyon road and Kokee state park. Lots of falls in the canyon, and then lots of trails on top, some with terrific views of Kalalau Valley below. But go early, very early: My experience was days usually dawned clear, but then it was either misting or raining by noon if not before. Bad part is that this is about the farthest possible place on the island from the Kalalau trailhead, which should be your first priority. Jealous.

I'm gonna start calling you "Scott Patterson jr."
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

yay! dan's going to kauai ... more music to our eyes

seriously though ... that's awesome, dan, happy trails in that majestic land

Quote Originally Posted by jb
    Head for the Waimea Canyon road and Kokee state park. Lots of falls in the canyon, and then lots of trails on top, some with terrific views of Kalalau Valley below. But go early, very early: My experience was days usually dawned clear, but then it was either misting or raining by noon if not before. Bad part is that this is about the farthest possible place on the island from the Kalalau trailhead, which should be your first priority. Jealous.
    X2. X3 on the Jealous part too. I think I still have some crapy photos of waimea canyon and a hike my wife and I went on. I'll see if I can find them and post a couple.
    Life is Good

I just got back but I didn't do much hiking. A little to a "secret" waterfall off the Wailua river on a (5 mile water and 2 on foot) kayak trip.

You may have seen this site already: http://www.hawaiitrails.org/island.php?island=Kauai

As mentioned, I think this is one of the best hike/backpacking trips in Kauai: http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_...lalau_hike.php

sweet! thanks for the suggestions. we've got 3 nights at kalalau beach, 2 nights in waimea, and then a handful of whatever the 'ell we want. should be rad. outta here in a few...

TR is in backpacking/camping.

http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15330