Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "A date that will live in infamy"

But first Japan attacked China in 1937. I think they were after natural resources then/there as well. I don't think it was until 1940 that the US stopped shipping oil to Japan and that was after Japan invaded French Indochina.

As far as dates are concerned, February and November come to mind as far as grade & high school are concerned.

2/12 Lincoln's birthday
    2/22 Washington's
    11/11 Armistice Day
    11/22 JFK Assassinated

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Dec. 7th - the day we should all ask ourselves why Japan attacked the United States.

Answer: They finally responded the economic warfare we'd been engaging in with them for years. The U.S. had essentially enforced embargoes on Japanese trade with dozens of other countries. Japan is a very small country, with few natural resources. They have to import much of their raw materials. The U.S., while superficially stating they were not going to engage in physical warfare, were concurrently behind the scenes battling a tremendous war in economic terms. By limiting what they could import, the Japanese were essentially paralyzed. The attack at Pearl Harbor was a result.

Make no mistake, America wanted in on WWII, but they needed a noble reason. It was only a matter of time before Pearl Harbor happened, and it was a consequence that FDR's administration not only expected, but some may even suggest FDR desired.

Was it an immoral act? Absolutely. Tragic? No doubt.

Shocking, sudden, and unprovoked? Not at all.

That's the history we should all know about. Dates are unimportant. Context is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dec. 7th - the day we should all ask ourselves why Japan attacked the United States.

Answer: They finally responded the economic warfare we'd been engaging in with them for years. The U.S. had essentially enforced embargoes on Japanese trade with dozens of other countries. Japan is a very small country, with few natural resources. They have to import much of their raw materials. The U.S., while superficially stating they were not going to engage in physical warfare, were concurrently behind the scenes battling a tremendous war in economic terms. By limiting what they could import, the Japanese were essentially paralyzed. The attack at Pearl Harbor was a result.

Make no mistake, America wanted in on WWII, but they needed a noble reason. It was only a matter of time before Pearl Harbor happened, and it was a consequence that FDR's administration not only expected, but some may even suggest FDR desired.

Uhh dude? Wrong message board. These thoughtful, intelligent, insightful, fact ridden posts should go elsewhere. All we need to know is we won. AMERICA RULEZ! Remember the date and don't F with us.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Nearly every time I go to Hawaii we stop at Pearl Harbor. It is a very humbling experience. A few years ago we were fortunate to have as one of our guides a surviving member of the military from that day. Very few dry eyes in the whole place. Very inspiring. One of the most memorable visits though was the time a Japanese envoy was touring the memorial. They were very respectable and visibly moved...many hugs and weeping from veterans from both fronts. They were there seeking forgiveness. They got it I'm sure. One cannot board the memorial without getting the sacred feeling felt there. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Uhh dude? Wrong message board. These thoughtful, intelligent, insightful, fact ridden posts should go elsewhere. All we need to know is we won. AMERICA RULEZ! Remember the date and don't F with us.
    America, F**K YEAH!
    Coming again, to save the mother f**king day yeah,
    America, F**K YEAH!
    Freedom is the only way yeah

- Trey Parker

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    America, F**K YEAH!
    Coming again, to save the mother f**king day yeah,
    America, F**K YEAH!
    Freedom is the only way yeah

- Trey Parker

"After them! They are turning left on Dirka Dirka St"....

Your safety is not my responsibility.

I can't tell you how many times that dirka dirka line was repeated while serving in Iraq. Good stuff.

People actually read and understand history?
    Thanks for the post CB.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    Ok, what about June 18? Arguably more important than Dec 7. Can you answer from memory?

In fact the dates mean practically nothing with respect to History - they only matter now.
    No, I cannot...off the top of my head.

I do fail to see your "They Only Matter Now" theory. 11 September 2001 meant a lot to me on that day and still sits with me the same to this day. I fail to see the "NOW" theory. That date does mean something to me NOW and WHEN it happened. 07 December 1941 was a date that forever changed people from THEN til' NOW. WWII Vets would not tell ya it only matters now.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    That date does mean something to me NOW and WHEN it happened.
    Well you are obviously a better American than the rest of us.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Well you are obviously a better American than the rest of us.
    When it deals with you Jimmy, that goes unquestioned

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]The bell from the USS Utah is in front of the Naval Science Building at the University of Utah. I pass it every day. Pretty cool piece of history right here in our backyard. Maybe I
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Cool pics

Hey, thanks James!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey