Thread: thursday is my last day underground...

thursday is my last day underground...

yes. I bid for a surface job and finally got it. I've been underground for 14 years and have toyed with the idea of going topside for a while now...I think I'm excited!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Re: thursday is my last day underground...

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    yes. I bid for a surface job and finally got it. I've been underground for 14 years and have toyed with the idea of going topside for a while now...I think I'm excited!
    That's awesome! Congratulations! I have extreme claustrophobia and I could never handle working underground like you have.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

good to hear!! Congrats you'll have to purchase some new shades to celebrate.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Thanks! Claustrophobia and fear of the dark are two things that you just cant have when working underground
    ...I think a new pair of Maui Jims are in order

Congratulations

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Huh? I thought you ran/owned/worked-in a bike shop?

Wow! What a huge life change. Congratulations! I hope you love it!

CONGRATS!!!!!! Being underground isn't good for your tan! HEHE!!!!

Congrats! Think you'll take up smoking?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

you live in Wyoming, maybe you should have waited until spring or is it an indoor job?

Either way congrats, I know that dusty dark mine would suck

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Congrats GHB, pics are in order when you get your new sun glasses!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    you live in Wyoming, maybe you should have waited until spring or is it an indoor job?

Either way congrats, I know that dusty dark mine would suck

YUP. Great in the summer.....SUCKS in the wyoming winters!!!

Good for you. At least now you won't have to worry about getting slabbed up.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Come to the light.....
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    ...I do run/own/work in my bikeshop AND I've been an underground miner in a Trona mine for the past 14 years.
    I think I could have picked a better time of year to do it but the weather here is unpredictable at best most days anyway and luckily, a lot of the work is done inside but loading product for shipping is done outside...which will suck in the winter. On the plus side, I won't get near as dirty everyday as I have been 'accustomed' to.
    ...tomorrow is go in at 8am for osha training & then my new boss, who started underground working for me, will take me to my new digs..anyone ever heard of Jason Bartlett - played football for SF years ago...big(read:huge) tall guy? thats the guy.
    http://www.solvaychemicals.us/locati...594-2-0,00.htm

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    ...I do run/own/work in my bikeshop AND I've been an underground miner in a Trona mine for the past 14 years.
    I think I could have picked a better time of year to do it but the weather here is unpredictable at best most days anyway and luckily, a lot of the work is done inside but loading product for shipping is done outside...which will suck in the winter. On the plus side, I won't get near as dirty everyday as I have been 'accustomed' to.
    ...tomorrow is go in at 8am for osha training & then my new boss, who started underground working for me, will take me to my new digs..anyone ever heard of Jason Bartlett - played football for SF years ago...big(read:huge) tall guy? thats the guy.
    http://www.solvaychemicals.us/locati...594-2-0,00.htm
    Thanks for the clarification. Now I can have a total picture of the person that sat next to me for Sushi.

Congrats on coming to the surface. I wish you all the success that the light of day may provide.

I myself supposedly work a day shift, but I get in at dark and leave at dark. Does that constitute an above ground job?

Re: thursday is my last day underground...

Dang! Thats awesome! Got to admit though...mushrooms seem to spend their career underground (or at least in the dark) and I hope they don't follow your path; just wouldn't be the same. I'm glad you got what you want finally!
    I'm sort of in a similar boat. After 24 years with Outdoor Outlet they've finally decided to close the doors after Christmas. Good things have happened for me as well. I will be opening a new outdoor store starting construction just after christmas. I will probably take more interest though (part owner) and I truly look forward to the change in life after almost a quarter of a century!

Congrats, I could never do the underground thing. Not a big fan of caves, sadly...

I just fired off a PM to ya about some bike stuff. :)

enjoy the change of pace, GHB, kudos

so how is your first day on the top going. too much clean air making you dizzy?
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    so how is your first day on the top going. too much clean air making you dizzy?
    Well, for the rest of the month I'm inside at 'Blending'...making blends of sulfite, cobalt, and mineral oil for various customers. Mostly 'food grade' for use in water purification & non foodgrade for coal burning plants - mixes with the SO2 coming out of their stacks to form CO2. Next month I'll be in Sulfite loadout loading railcars with sulfite and bisulfite. I work with some great people and the work is not nearly as strenuous as underground - a 'retirement' job really