Thread: Wireless router problem? Computer problem?

Wireless router problem? Computer problem?

My wireless router is just in the other room, but I can sit and watch the signal strength indicator on my computer go up and down, up and down. It's close enough to be full strength all the time. Sometimes I ill lose my secure signal completely but I can see others in the area. Or then my secure signal will show back up, but I can't connect to it. Or, sometimes the "wifi" light on my computer blinks or goes off completely. It can be very frustrating, especially when I'm in the middle of something and lose a signal.
    How can I pinpoint where the problem is?
    My router is a Linksys Wireless-G, and my computer is a Dell Inspiron 1505 about 2 years old. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If your signal is showing but you cannot connect, then remove the connection and re-add it (I mean forcibly delete the connection and then manually re-add it).

I used to have a similar problem and I discovered that I had mistakenly created a bridge. Go to your network connection settings tab and make sure that there is no bridge with your local area connection or wireless network settings.

If it is a consistent problem, then you should change the frequency of your broadcast on your router. I used to have an issue with my microwave until I changed the frequency on which my router broadcasted.

You may also try going to www.driveragent.com and doing a system scan of your drivers. Often having the most recent drivers for your wireless card can also help.

Re: Wireless router problem? Computer problem?

Quote Originally Posted by KAH
    My wireless router is just in the other room, but I can sit and watch the signal strength indicator on my computer go up and down, up and down. It's close enough to be full strength all the time. Sometimes I ill lose my secure signal completely but I can see others in the area. Or then my secure signal will show back up, but I can't connect to it. Or, sometimes the "wifi" light on my computer blinks or goes off completely. It can be very frustrating, especially when I'm in the middle of something and lose a signal.
    How can I pinpoint where the problem is?
    My router is a Linksys Wireless-G, and my computer is a Dell Inspiron 1505 about 2 years old. Thanks.
    The problem you describe is almost a textbook case of WiFi Pollution - i.e. your router having the same Channel #, and possibly the same SSID, as that of another router that is in your area. Alternatively, you could also have some devices using the 2.4 Ghz band - such as microwave ovens, security cameras, and cordless phones - which could also be interfering with your signal.

[NOTE: All routers that you buy at retail outlets (vs. those shipped to you by your ISP) have default SSIDs and Channel #s. For Linksys routers, their default is "linksys", and I can probably find at least a half dozen networks within a mile of me with this SSID. Check out this table of the most common SSID's:

http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps//Stat
    ]

To test whether you can solve this problem, you should change the SSID and channel # in your router. You can reference the router's documentation on how to do this, or PM me and I will provide specific instructions for you. Some guidelines for creating a good SSID:
    • * Don't use your name, address, birthdate, or other personal information as part of the SSID.
      * Likewise, don't use any of your Windows or Internet Web site passwords.
      * Don't tempt would-be intruders by using tantalizing network names like "SEXY-BOX" or "TOP-SECRET".
      * Do pick an SSID that contains both letters and numbers
      * Do choose a name as long or nearly as long as the maximum length allowed.
      * Do consider changing your SSID every few months.

Many wireless devices ship with a default channel number of 6. Since most of the WiFi channel numbers' frequencies overlap with one another, I would suggest that you use either channel 1 or 11 because these two do not overlap.

Once you have changed these settings in your router, you should delete the connection on your PC and add it back in.

Let us know if you see an improvement.
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Thanks, I will check it out tonight when I get home.