Thread: My son's car got stolen last night

My son's car got stolen last night

If you happen to see a black '90 Honda Civic, with the plastic protective stuff under the engine nearly dragging on the ground, and this car is just parked somewhere in your neighborhood--let me know or call the police. I'd appreciate it if you who live in the S.L. area could keep your eyes open for me!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry to hear that...

Yeah--it's really a car that you'd say, "why'd they take that one"? It didn't even have a good stereo in it--just an old cassette player. Probably just took it for a joy ride and left it somewhere.

Honda Civic is the most stolen car.

http://www.statefarm.com/learning/be..._cartheft1.asp
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    "why'd they take that one"?
    Because that's what the majority of them learn on. Learn to steal those, it becomes second nature and few rarely leave their comfort zone. They become very efficient in grabbing those. Since it's the majority of choice, they just may anything from odds and ends to engines...depending on models.

Bummer. Having people mess with you like that is horrible. They don't just rob you of your processions but also of your security and peace of mind. I'm really sorry to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Because that's what the majority of them learn on. Learn to steal those, it becomes second nature and few rarely leave their comfort zone. They become very efficient in grabbing those. Since it's the majority of choice, they just may anything from odds and ends to engines...depending on models.
    So how can we prevent it from happening? Put one of those club things on the steering wheel? This is the second incident of car theft in our family within the last couple of years--our Honda Accord got stolen as well about two years ago. I don't know if these old cars of ours are worth installing alarm systems on, so I'm wondering if the clubs will work.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    So how can we prevent it from happening? Put one of those club things on the steering wheel? This is the second incident of car theft in our family within the last couple of years--our Honda Accord got stolen as well about two years ago. I don't know if these old cars of ours are worth installing alarm systems on, so I'm wondering if the clubs will work.
    I own a honda civic and it's never been stolen since I did this trick. But it could just be dumb luck. What I recommend is going to radio shack and getting 2 LED lights and a passive switch. Then hook it to the blue wire coming out of your ignition. So whenever the key is turned "off" the little lights blink, so it LOOKS like you have an alarm. Less than $10 too :) Just tell them what you're doing and they can hook you up. I think the blinkey lights are a better deterrent than anything. Not a fan of the club, but ANY kind of a deterrent usually means they'll just go to the next car 15 feet away IMO. They want to be quick and get away with minimal effort. If they weren't lazy they would have a job.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I agree with Cricket. About 95% of theft is a spur of the moment thing done by lazies. So any little thing to slow them down is going to cover you most of the time. The last 5% are pros and if they want your car they are going to get it. No sense worrying about stopping them.

James

Sounds like you need to think about moving sometime in the future? That sucks someone stole your kids car, get a club if you have to, at least it may make them go to someone elses car..

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

So how can we prevent it from happening? Put one of those club things on the steering wheel? This is the second incident of car theft in our family within the last couple of years--our Honda Accord got stolen as well about two years ago.
    Deterrents are the key. They want to grab that car as quick as possible. They don't want to spend time disabling deterrents. If the car has everything they're looking for, then they will take the extra minute or so to get the car. Again, Honda's seem to be in the market for thieves; it's what they practice on, what they know and what will turn them the fastest buck. It has nothing to do with laziness, if it was, they would grab a vehicle with the keys left in the ignition. There are a ton of them out there. But, the Honda's accessories is what they're after. And depending on the engine, that maybe the only thing they want. Nothing like sticking a VTec engine in an EX. They make money on the Honda's, the parts are in demand.

Now with the Winter months setting upon us, the AWD cars and 4WD SUV's will be stolen a little more frequently. We see this back here.

You can try things such as ignition switches. The switch is between the battery and the ignition. So, even when they pull the column, there is no power there unless the switch is turned on. You don't want the switch where someone can find it, it could be put anywhere in the car. From under any of the seats, to the rear deck and the only way to get at it is through the trunk. This becomes a PIA for you, because you as well, have to go out of your way just to start the car. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's one heck of a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Sounds like you need to think about moving sometime in the future? That sucks someone stole your kids car, get a club if you have to, at least it may make them go to someone elses car..
    Moving? Actually, my son is recently married and his car was stolen from a different area. I have seen a lot of gang graffiti in my area, but all of us are pretty good about getting rid of it just about as soon as it appears.

but all of us are pretty good about getting rid of it just about as soon as it appears.
    That's a good thing

My Honda Civics (1991 and 1993 models) were stolen 3 times in the last 5 years. Local police said they are very easy to steal and a favorite target of local gangs. They also said the CLUB works because the thieves are mostly amateurs and easily deterred.

I'll keep an eye out...what model is it? Hatchback, 4door, coupe, ???

Bad economy blues...